Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

It looks AWESOME! my first real IBM-PC VGA game was Eye of the Beholder 1. and this looks and handles like it, just MUCH better looking, and with loads of more loot, and traps/puzzles.. And it's only $14.99!

4/5 stars mostly too.. Here is their main site:
http://www.grimrock.net/

And a video of the in-game fighting! Brings back the old school feel for sure, eh??

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/27/le...imrock-review/

(Scroll down a bit for the video of the in-game action! Tell me what you think!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

They are also allowing you to create your own portrait if you want in the game.. like BG/IWD.. But the HUGE announcement on their forum was a modding editor was going to be released soon!

So imagine remaking Eye of the Beholder tilesets (walls) and 3D models (if its easy to do).. that would rock!

Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I've tried making custom portraits, followed their tutorial, put em in the correct folder... and the game won't detect them. If you've had any luck creating custom pix, would you share the process with us, please? Thanx!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
I've tried making custom portraits, followed their tutorial, put em in the correct folder... and the game won't detect them. If you've had any luck creating custom pix, would you share the process with us, please? Thanx!
You might have already tried this but this is what I found out:

The portraits go here:

C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\My Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\Portraits

You have to be patched to version 1.1.4

The portraits should be 24-bit, 128x128 pixels, UNCOMPRESSED .TGA format. If everything else is fine, double check the compression; that's usually what bit me.
16 bit and 32 bit MIGHT work, not sure.

Online image converters can cause problems apparently. Photoshop or Paint.net should work.

If you still can get them to work, try checking the forums here:

http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

BTW, I have 230 odd custom portraits that I made for NWN2 that you can try downloading. Here's the link:

http://www.thieves-guild.net/index.p...n_view&idev=13

All of those are 128x128 24bit uncompressed Targa (,tga) format so they SHOULD work in Grimrock. You might test one or two of them out just to see.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 04-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ah!!! I see we have some players! Nice!

So what do ya think of the game? Is it really as cool as the video/ratings says it is?
And how long is the gameplay?? (If you beat it)

BTW, you can use my Baldurs Gate port's and resize them and convert them to TGA!!
I'll use Drizzt, Bruenor, Cat, and Wulfgar.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

@Micah

What's the file name convention? When you start a new game you can choose male or female pix. So somewhere in the name there needs to be an indicator of sex, right?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
@Micah

What's the file name convention? When you start a new game you can choose male or female pix. So somewhere in the name there needs to be an indicator of sex, right?
Not necessarily. None of the other games that allow custom portraits require any sort of specific format for a file NAME, only file type.

The portraits that come with the game are stored as .dds files and are named to distinguish between sex and race, but I've searched the Grimrock forums and can't find any naming requirements for custom portraits; just the file size and type restrictions. Apparently other folks are using custom portraits without any specific names without issues. You might try posting on the Grimrock forums and asking there.

Start a new game, select create characters, then click import portrait, all the details are there when you mouse over.

FWIW, NWN1/2 didn't require a specific naming convention for custom portraits. I only invented one to keep track of the pics I made in my own files.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 04-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post

BTW, you can use my Baldurs Gate port's and resize them and convert them to TGA!!
No you can't - unless you're willing to live with distorted images.

The large custom BG1, BG2 and IWD portraits are all 110x170. Resizing them to 128x128 will assymetrically stretch/shrink the images - it will make all the heads look fat, kind of like pumpkins. The smaller customs are 38 x 60 and upsizing them will cause a loss of resolution. So unless you're going for a Mr Creosote/Great Pumpkin look I wouldn't mess with them. The only way to use BG portraits is to go through and recrop them all and frankly that's a ton of work. Plus Z, some of your BG custom portraits are pretty low res to start with.

Elfbane, you can upsize Z's portraits if you want but imo they will look like crap. Stick with NWN2 customs or use some of the Grimrock custom portraits that are available. The Grimrock forums are full of links to them and there are some really nice insect custom portraits out there.

Note: NWN1 custom portraits are scaled in multiples of 16x32 pixels so they won't work straight up without editing. NWN2 portraits are 128x128 and CAN be used without edits.

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 04-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum Re: New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

Well, I just resized/cropped/zoomed in on them, and here are 4 of them.. (converted them to JPG so you can see them). You just need to zoom in on the faces and you can do it easy...

BTW, there is no 'naming requirement' for the portraits in Grimrock. you simply drop them into the port's folder and when you create a new character, click import, and choose the portrait you wish.. male/female is irrelevant.. filenames are as I had them in the attached files.

If you're running the game in a high res mode, the portraits will be seen smaller, yet look better.. But I took these from my Baldurs gate Portrait area, and in Adobe, cropped them, and zoomed them a bit, and added a sharpining filter at 2%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bruenor.jpg (31.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg cattbre.jpg (35.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg drizzt.jpg (29.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg wulfgar.jpg (30.1 KB, 50 views)

Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum Re: New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Plus Z, some of your BG custom portraits are pretty low res to start with.

Wow... thats odd, when the game came out, I got TONS of emails saying I had the best portraits for the game...

I scanned every single one in at 300dpi from the Dungeons & Dragons Collectors cards, and them downsized them to meet the BG portrait size requirements. Scanning in all those portraits took weeks! So saying they look bad is upsetting... You gotta understand, BG was a low res game... lol.

PS: If you are talking about the NWN1 portrait pack, then yeah, some of those are not hot--as I didn't make them, just scooped up some I thought would be ok.. I made the rest.