Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 PM   #11
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

hmm... i never considered the races... the fighter is a male gourk and the wizard is female human.

and what do you mean by "vanilla Wizard and Warrior" aleph?

oh, and i checked my manual and i meant warrior not righter but im a simple man, to me its exactly the same and it should be the same.

and no the warrior dosent suck, i have a party of 1 warrior, 1 wizard, 1 priest and 1 rogue (thats the order that i placed them in because of hp, ac and str) and so far hes more that id ever need
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, jsalsb. THAC-0 comes from D&D terminology, and it's short for "To-Hit, Armor Class - 0" (zero). Basically, it's a measure of what roll you'd need to hit an AC of zero. Fighters have lower rolls than wizards do, and that's where you'd see a different based on class. However, at sufficiently high levels, both fighters and mages will find themselves needing a 2 (on a 20-sided die) to hit AC 0. A 1, in D&D terms, always means that something... interesting... is about to happen
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford:
and what do you mean by "vanilla Wizard and Warrior" aleph?
Sorry; the expression comes from the default flavor of ice cream in the U.S. I mean you actually meant Wizard and not some elite casting role that started as a Wizard.

Nevermind, I'll actually read what people say now instead of assuming things [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:56 PM   #14
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

lol, its ok, dont worry... it is a wierd expression though [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2004, 07:56 AM   #15
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Sorry, jsalsb. THAC-0 comes from D&D terminology, and it's short for "To-Hit, Armor Class - 0" (zero).
Riiiiiiight! It's been close to 20 years since I last rolled an AD&D d20! But, still, I've never heard that expression. It's a very useful concept, though! I seem to remember that we used to talk about hit capabilities in terms of roll needed to hit a 3 hit-dice monster, or something like that.

What I can't remember, an is more germane to our subject, is did you get multiple hits per round in AD&D - back in the classic 3-book era that is; I'm sure they eventually came up with rules for everything and anything.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 AM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Boy... I've got an old basic rules book around here somewhere, but I don't remember if they got into multiple attacks. I know that in second edition they did... fighter types went from one attack per round to three per two rounds, and then two a round. Mages stayed at a weasely one per forever...

And "vanilla" is a term also used in programming. A "vanilla" program is one that is in its original format, and has never been modified. Its counterpart is a custom program...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:32 AM   #17
jsalsb
Elminster

has Radek, or someone, done a breakdown of what classes at what levele improve their hit/round ratio?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:33 PM   #18
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

arent we all playing vanilla wizards & warriors then? (exept those who patched)
Old 12-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #19
jsalsb
Elminster

well, vanilla with a cherry on top [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2004, 01:50 PM   #20
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

lolz