Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 10-09-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

What do you guys think for the level split for this character build?.
At the moment I'm F7 W7, I'm thinking Fighter level 8 then Wizard up to the max.

(I'm in chapter 2 as I've played a couple of modules before starting out).
Old 10-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Remember that the strength of your spellcasting is based on your Wizard levels. With a Fighter/Wizard combo you'll be a decent fighter and a decent spellcaster, but never really good at both.

For this class combo, I would use the spells to enhance your fighting ability. If you intend to use alot of offensive magic, it's better to go straigth Wizard.

As for the level split, when you multiclass, it's always good to think about what you want to achieve by multiclassing. Do you have a specific class ability or feat in mind when you multiclass, and so on. Otherwise you'll easily end up taking levels of a class that doesn't add much to your character. Checking the spell list in the manual, and see what each level has to offer it's a good idea when multiclassing spellcasters.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I have played through 10 times or more at the very least. Fighter / wizard is my favorite multi class PC.
I have never taken my PC over level 7 Wizard multi class except once but have had a fighter 24 / Wizard 7 / Rogue 4 many times and my PC kicks butt on everything. I use alot of scrolls to make up for the magic I would get as a high level mage.
Actually with mage 7 /fighter 7 I would take 4 levels as a Thief or Bard to get the sneek and lock pick abilities to really round out your PC and after that only add fighter class. Some people will tell you that your PC won't be that powerful,Wrong. In the final chapter this Multi class PC is a well rounded and very powerful sucker. He/She will kick butt and has alot of abilities to call on that your going to use and be very happy that you have them.

I have played once the other way around with Mage 28/ Fighter 6 / Rogue 3 and got my tail blasted off I won't do that again.
I also played thru with a lvl 36 mage and that was a great game but,It was alot of work trying to stay alive against the stronger melay fighters and monks.

well there is my 2 cents worth of help now it's up to you.
Good luck and kick Butt.

[ 10-09-2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 10-10-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

All characters are powerful in plain vanilla NWN, TheCrismomBlade. The uber items in the game makes sure of that.

Adding a few levels of Rogue might come in handy (don't forget the potential xp penalty), but I don't know about Bard. Unlike Rogues, Bards doesn't have the pick locks or disarm traps skills as class skills, and for stealth you might as well use Invisibility or Improved Invisibility; as a Wizard, you already have access to those. Bards also base their spellcasting in charisma rather than intelligence like the Wizards.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
I
I have played once the other way around with Mage 28/ Fighter 6 / Rogue 3 and got my tail blasted off I won't do that again.
I also played thru with a lvl 36 mage and that was a great game but,It was alot of work trying to stay alive against the stronger melay fighters and monks.
Are we talking about plain NWN or NWN with Hotu here? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] You need HotU to reach levels higher than lv. 20.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Desdicado:
What do you guys think for the level split for this character build?.
Generally a bad idea.. if your really interested in that kind of character then your better off with a cleric or a druid. (which is also a good cross-class for a fighter).

Considering that you are no novice.. I'd say it would probably be a lot of fun. There is always that question of which spells to use and when, AND will the absence of actual armor be a problem - (not to mention will you have the ability to hit a tough opponent without multiple "True Strikes")? (You'll also have difficulty with attributes..)

If you do decide to go this route I'd suggest getting up to whatever Sorcerer/Wizard level is needed to "inantely" cast 5th level spells (for Melstith's Acid Sheath).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Yep, I liked the idea behind it but got tired of misssing in melee too often and of still having pretty low level spells in chapter 3, so I'm pure fighter again.

What do you reckon to adding one level of mage to use spell scrolls and wands etc?

[ 10-19-2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]