Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #1
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

When your playing Baldurs Gate II and the load screen comes up it says "The adventure doesn't have to stop here you can import you character into Neverwinter Nights" or something similar. So now NWN is out does anyone know if ou can do it? Cos if you can I will definatley buy it.
Sorcerer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

Surely I could have got a simple yes or no by now? Or am I just asking a real dumb question that no one will even respond to?
Old 06-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

I did not remember seeing an option for it in the solo game. Not sure about the multi-player modules.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #4
wrolf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No, you won't be able to import BG characters. I read an interview, forgot where, that because of the new engine importing old characters wont be possible. Also, if the character was imported, it would be changed to level 1 with no equipment nor gold.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:48 PM   #5
fdirs
Dungeon Master

that because of the new engine importing old characters wont be possible

We can put a man on the moon, and if that isn't good enough I just had lasik eye surgery, they could do it if they really wanted to. They just got lazy that is my opinion. I have a demo or something I got with BG(I think) saying that we will be able to import our guys. Programmers needed to meet a deadline they got careless and/or lazy.
fdirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

exactly fdirs. i remember multiple times reading about importing my bg2 character into nwn. and now you cant?! well, that is just a load of crap. i understand that there was a deadline, but they also made promises that obviously arent being kept. tsk tsk tsk.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

Maybe they will make it possible in an add on? Cos you can reach Level 20 in NWN cant you? So in an add on your high level BGII char wont be as big a problem. And if you just keep the basic stas your char has the rest can be recalculated cant they? I dont know much about 3rd ed rules but from what I know I think its possible, but I doubt it will be done. Maybe you will be able to import into Icewind Dale II (I doubt it, plus I know nothing about IWD II). I just like using my Char I started him in BGI where I got a super stat roll with 4 18's then the books that up your stats in that got me 19's. Then into BGII and ToB and my intel was at 20. I got used to using him and want to use hm in more games lol I am sad
Old 06-20-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
Madriver
Manshoon

The statements talking about importing your BG2 characters into NWN were made before the 3rd edition rules of D&D came out...once the rules were released it was obvious that this would not be possible.

There are many differences between 2nd edition AD&D and 3RD edition that makes it impossible to transfer your characters, the least of which is the level restriction. 3ED has feats, skill points, changes to class abilities, spell changes, and the point-buy system for abilities. The only thing that would stay the same between the 2 systems would be the portrait and the name, so Bio decided to cancel the import.

As much as I would like to import my 31st level mage, I enjoy the 3ED system more and look forward to advancing a new character. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:25 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

No, you cannot, Sorcerer Dave. Two reasons: 1) the game engine is different; and 2) you will be starting from scratch, at level 1, so there wasn't much point, really.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:33 PM   #10
DraconisRex

I think we need to be clear here. In BGII:SOA & TOB it was very clear that you could import your SOA/TOB character. A "simple" conversion program is all that it would take.

Sure, some changes would have to have been made. However, it COULD be done. I'm sure, in the next month or so, we'll see a number of conversion programs that will take your (or any NPC) character and convert them.

Personally, I suspect that it had to do with the royalty blow-up and settlement and all the attendent cash-flow & legal problems that would have occured.

In the end, the truth is we were supposedly going to be able to import our character and that they would be converted for the NWN engine. The Devs changed that policy. I'm okay with it, because I thought the TOB character abilities were way too far over-the-top and that some of the spells and items were reeeeediculusly over-powered.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote