Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2003, 04:04 AM   #1
Binge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So hopefully this is something people have heard of. Out of nowhere, if I try and rest, the game immediately locks up. It also comes out of full screen, and is just a black box then I have to manually shut down.

It started doing this earlier today, and seems like the longer I played, the more frequent it got. Now I cannot rest at all.

I'm thinking that maybe something is triggering (a dream sequence maybe?) and is for whatever reason locking my machine up. From my understanding, theres no way to eliminate the movies from playing, correct?

If it helps, I'm in the Underdark, on my way to see Adalon. This started happening when I first got here.

I suppose a re-install might be needed, and if thats the case the save folder is the only thing I need correct? The only NPC I have is Korgan (the rest I made, and copied the MP save to the normal single player. Should I export each of my characters to preserve them?
Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:19 AM   #2
Xzirox
Manshoon

If you are going to re-install it, you dont have to copy any folders cause the save folder won't be removed during the uninstall.....and maby you have a scratch in your disk?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:48 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

my guess is that a dream sequence is trying to load and your disk is either scratched or dusty. Before re-installing just try giving your disk a clean.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #4
Binge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I've re-installed the game completely, and it still locks up. I've done a full install, and when I click on the rest button, it doesn't even try and access the cd drive. The error is immediate the second I click on it.

This isn't good, I'm not sure what to do

Also, I have been playing through this game for years on this computer. Nothing has changed. I've been in this area dozens of times in the past. Its baffling.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Xzirox
Manshoon

did you try to clean the disc?
Old 10-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
Binge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, i put on my troubleshooting hat, and I have pinpointed the source of the problem.

My cleric is bugged somehow.

So what I did was, copied my normal SAVE folder to MPSAVE. Created a multiplater session, and loaded that game up. Rested, and error. Ok.

Next I started going individually through each of my characters (i'm using 6, 4 custom, Korgan and Valygar).

What I did was just load my first character only, then rested. Worked fine. This eliminates the possibility of scratched disc, and a faulty dream sequence.

I quit, and reloaded with just 2 characters, rested fine.

Quit again, and selected a different character, rested and bam error. I did this with each of the 6 characters, and I narrowed it down to my cleric. She's level 12, and has no new items in her inventory. She has the flail of Ages, and Baldurans shield. Both have been sitting in there for ages. Same goes for what equipment she's wearing.

So in summary, I can rest perfectly fine, as long as my cleric is not in the party. So uhh, what do i do? I can't just dump her, since well...she's my only healer!

I suppose I could roll up a new character, and just cheat the items she had and hope it works.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
Binge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well through lots and lots of troubleshooting, it does seem to be something about the Underdark that locks my game up. I "warped" out of the underdark and into the docks district, and was immediately faced with a Githyink(sp?), so the game I suppose thinks its progressing. But more importantly, I can rest at will [img]smile.gif[/img]

The problem is, i'm pretty much stuck now, since the new areas on my map were never updated, and I guess I never really entered the next chapter.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can circumvent this? I suppose I can complete the underdark section without resting, maybe I'll just cheat up a ton of healing potions to compensate, and just use my spells very sparingly.

Is there a place in Ust Natha I can warp too that wouldn't screw up the storyline? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Major Weirdness.

Where precisely in the Underdark are you trying to Rest? At the Svirfneblin Inn, or are you trying to set up camp somewhere? If it's the latter, it might simply be a problem with the "Sleeping Outside" movie, which is easily solved (by not sleeping outside). But this Cleric angle confuses me.

Are any of your Multiplayer characters (your Cleric in particular) cheated in any way? Your Cleric isn't, for instance, a Half-Orc Cleric/Mage? I ask this because, in one of the Dream sequences, all of your party members except the PC start out Unconscious on the floor, and if the game doesn't have a *.BAM file for an Unconscious Half-Orc Cleric/Mage, it's won't know what to do....which could quite logically cause a crash.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
Binge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SixOfSpades: Well, the very first time it locked up, i was just outside in the dungeon part. More Specifically at the soul chamber going through releasing the people. I rested after the Lich guy when it locked. (going from left to right).

So when I warped out, I just decided to go do some regular quests. I went and tried to finish the Temple Ruins quest, and inside there, like the 5th time I rested it did it. My heart shattered into a million pieces hehe.

None of my characters are cheated in anyway. They're all stock from whats defaultly available.

So now, I know it has nothing to do with the Underdark. But maybe it is a certain resting movie. Is the underdark resting movie a dungeon one, or an outside one?

From what I can tell, its only dungeon ones that lock me up maybe. Also, to maybe help clarify. The second I click on rest, the game momentarily stops, with the rest button depressed, and the window's default error sound beeps, and the screen turns black and goes into windowed mode, and I have manually end BGMain.exe.

But from what I understand, theres no way to turn those off is there?

Also, a completely random question, where can I find a demon heart? I've already completed the Planar Sphere and have it has a stronghold.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Starting with the easy questions, there are no more Demon Hearts available in SoA. But if you have ToB installed, there are a couple in Watcher's Keep.

It is in fact quite possible to beat Chapter 5 without Resting. I have frequently done all of Chapters 4 and 5 at a run, not Resting until I get back to Athkatla.

The fact that your game crashes ONLY when Resting in the Underdark leads me to believe that either the correct Rest movie for the UD is corrupt, or the area file for the UD itself is corrupt. Try Resting in the Svirfneblin Inn and see what happens.

And the fact that removing the Cleric from your party causes the game to progress normally points to a corrupted *.CRE file, or even a corrupted Savegame. But these would most likely cause errors in non-Underdark situations as well.