Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Silly dumb Burn game question

OK so after 3 days I finally downloaded Sacred II, the UK version, onto my PC via a UK site. I now want to download it onto a DVD disc. It probably needs updating and I don't dare try to do any updates until I have it safely onto a disc. So today I bought a Maxel DVR-R set of discs. They also had Maxell DVR+R discs, but I could not discern what the difference was between the -R and the +R from reading the outside of the package.

Anywho, can someone help my pathetic ignorant self how I can take my Maxell DVR-R disc and get my downloaded game onto the disc. What is the difference between "Burn" and "Rip"? Just need to know how to do it without screwing anything thing up. I have always bought games via disc so this is the first time I downloaded a game. It took 7 hours to get it downloaded so I do not want anything to go wrong when trying to copy it on a disc LOL.

Any help on how to do it would be greatly appreciated, thank you ahead of time.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Silly dumb Burn game question

Burn is putting the actual media on the disc, while rip is taking media off another disc and copying it to your harddrive/other destination drive. Probably the easiest way to do it would be to find the file folder, copy it, and paste it onto the DVD writer drive, with a blank disc in it. Make sure the disc has enough physical memory to do it, or it can cause problems.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

OK, the package of the discs does not say anything about memory, but says 4.7 gb, 120 mins. I will give it a shot and see what happens LOL

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
OK, the package of the discs does not say anything about memory, but says 4.7 gb, 120 mins. I will give it a shot and see what happens LOL
The download size of Sacred II quoted in impulsedriven.com is 12.85 gb, which means you'd need to spread the files across 3, possibly 4, disks. (since a single disk will hold 4.7 gb)

Only way you'd fit it on one disk is to use bluray.

And disk size is capacity, not memory, Mr Bard
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
OK so after 3 days I finally downloaded Sacred II, the UK version, onto my PC via a UK site. I now want to download it onto a DVD disc. It probably needs updating and I don't dare try to do any updates until I have it safely onto a disc. So today I bought a Maxel DVR-R set of discs. They also had Maxell DVR+R discs, but I could not discern what the difference was between the -R and the +R from reading the outside of the package.

Anywho, can someone help my pathetic ignorant self how I can take my Maxell DVR-R disc and get my downloaded game onto the disc. What is the difference between "Burn" and "Rip"? Just need to know how to do it without screwing anything thing up. I have always bought games via disc so this is the first time I downloaded a game. It took 7 hours to get it downloaded so I do not want anything to go wrong when trying to copy it on a disc LOL.

Any help on how to do it would be greatly appreciated, thank you ahead of time.
When the download finished, what is the name of the file after the . I'm familiar with .ISO and that is the easiest to work with. If not, I'm sure one of the 'gammers' will come along and help out. There should be some sort of instruction with it to burn as well.

What I can help with is the disc. In a nutshell, 'most' PCs with a DVD burner can burn to either format, and the storage is identical. The disc you have is -R, and does not require a format sequence prior to burning. They are acceptable for playback on older stand alone DVD drives. Use 2004'ish as the break point of newer/older. And transfer from PC(s) with little fuss. Price and packing differences are negligent if not identical, brand loyalty and disc style is more for individuality. It is a write once disc. The RW version is (re) recordable.

The +R is the opposite, requires a format sequence prior to use, and is the hard standard for modern stand-alone DVD players, thou 'most' manufacturers claim dual compatibility, and most review sites will claim compatibility issues across the spectrum. Those issues are usually not associated with PCs.

Lastly, the other type is DVD -/+ R DL = Dual Layer, this requires modern hardware and a DL drive. It effectively increases the storage from 4.7 to 8.5.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezardin View Post
The download size of Sacred II quoted in impulsedriven.com is 12.85 gb, which means you'd need to spread the files across 3, possibly 4, disks. (since a single disk will hold 4.7 gb)
If all you want is an archived backup, you could use WinZip to compress it as well. You should be able to get it down to 2 discs or even 1 disc. I would play around with that before I started burning discs. You might have to split the files into two archive folders.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Check the total size of the files, and consider grabbing a thumb drive (flash drive, jump drive, etc.) to put them on. You can pick up 8GB or better for close to nothing, and won't have to worry about the space required.

As for the disks, the important thing is your DVD drive. It should have something that indicates which format(s) it supports... get discs that match that format.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote