Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth
 

Join Date: February 7, 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,980
The night is far spent and the first tentative stirrings of approaching dawn have begun. Small and quiet movements are these, awkward with slumber and not yet fully awake. In a small room located in the servants’ wing of Locke Manor a pair of delicate hands reaches upward to press the sleep from eyes that greet the early hour with great reluctance. She sighs. Would that the night were but an hour or two longer – just a little more rest..... But there is work to be done and the visitor had asked for her by name. She smiles. Such a polite man and so pleasant in conversation. His strange illness and the terrible wasting slumber that nearly took his life was a hardship for all of them. She shudders at the brief recollection of how small, how very frail he seemed just two days ago – so very near dying he was. The elder Locke, Master Edward himself, passed long hours by his bedside and he it was who had told her that the visitor had asked for her. Once more Jeannette lifts her hands to her heavy eyelids, rubbing them gently. She sighs contentedly and then she rises for there is much work to be done.

There are other stirrings in the lingering darkness besides those of a single maid, however, purposeful stirrings.

A large body stirs to wakefulness upon a damp pile of skins at the discontented growling in its stomach. Fingers crusted with dirt and blood reach between the jagged rocks near the wall of the cave until they find the handle of a crudely made club. Sleep gives way to hunger, an insistent and demanding hunger, and coarse tongues moisten the lips of mouths newly accustomed to the ready feasting to be found in the forest.

Far from this land of simple homes and dense forest there stands a tower darker even than the night which hangs so persistently over the approaching light of day. And within that tower are those whose stirring is the movement of darkness itself. Locked away with the tower are those for whom the heaviness of sleep would be a great relief, and to whom such relief is denied. For there is One within the tower whose substance is the substance of shadow and this One knows not the need for sleep and the darkness itself awakens to new vigor at the malice within his voice. All lands are the object of this One’s desire, and the lives of all who dwell within them as well. For the One Who Mods will not rest until all are bent and broken under his will.

Black and foul smelling smoke pollutes the skies to the north. Great furnaces housed in a compound that was once a haven for self-styled champions of the good burn night and day for within the blackened walls of that compound is found a rival to the One Who Mods, one once a man but now simply and terribly Fallen. And the Fallen would contest the darkness of the Mage with the hatred that burns within him. Deep beneath the earth, in places long untouched by the warming light of the sun, things stir into movement beneath the strength of this hatred.

Elsewhere far from these lands is one who sits silent and still. The free and living air moves restlessly between the craggy spires of stone that jut upward into the sky and the falling of rain against the sharp stones rings brightly against the darkness. But the one who sits and watches neither moves nor speaks.


The Lord of the Forums: Awakenings
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator
 

Join Date: March 1, 2001
Location: Midlands, South Carolina
Age: 42
Posts: 14,749
For Team TAVY (Tao, Ana, Vincent, Yevaud)

The warmth of the day finally broke through the shade the trees provided the ground, bathing the campground in rays of sunlight which is what finally aroused everyone from their rest. It was nearly midday, and they had slept the morning through! It should not have been such a surprise, for these adventurers had worked hard to get to this point and their physical ability to stay in the game finally wore out, causing everyone to sleep soundly until now.

However, the call of Morning finally stirred them awake and with a full night’s rest and knowing how close they were, the party moved on and within three hours they were out of the shady woods and staring at a farming town which sat a ways off from the coastline where there was a small port, too small for any real business to come through.

From what they had been told, this was called Lockesville.


************************************************** *****************************



For The Lockesville Originals (Sever, Pandaros, Xaver)


Time indeed was precious, but the necessity of having agents to work against a great evil in the land also required the men be well-equipped to face this danger, if any chance of success could be hoped for. For this reason, the Lockes personally paid for the equipment repair and purchases that these fine men named as their necessities.

The one hold up had been the dwarf’s armor. It had been so beaten up that it would require several hours of hard work to mend it well enough to suit Xaver. For this reason, the dwarf offered the suggestion that he borrow a suitable piece of armor until which time the mission were complete, and then he’d return to find his regular armor fully repaired. To this, everyone agreed that it was the best option and so Vindson offered the finest available armor that he had that would readily fit the sturdy dwarf. He knew that the Lockes would insure payment of that armor if the dwarf did not return it, or if it came back in less than favorable condition. The Lockes could always be trusted in such.

The time had come. Every member of the party had been well-equipped and made ready to venture out to investigate the disturbances. The only problem at this time was that Sever had run off to find a place to relieve himself and had not yet returned. Had he changed his mind and skipped out on everybody once he got a load of free gear? Pandaros of course felt like they should wait a bit more, but Xaver was feeling no loss at all, and considered this good news that the thief had bailed. He tried talking Pandaros into just leaving without the scum. They’d be better off.

Thus the two adventurers stood at the Main Gate, ready to embark on their first adventure in the employ of Lockesville.

[ 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth
 

Join Date: February 7, 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,980
The Forest

Her name is Mara and she is troubled. It has been over a week since she has heard from her cousin, the woodcutter. Perhaps he has grown ill, she fears. Or perhaps he has been injured in some way. “Silly girl,” she chides herself softly as she shakes her head, “it is likely that he is fine. What good is all this worry?” She attempts to laugh away her concern, to no avail. Something is not right, of this she is sure. She is well along the narrow path that leads to his cabin when she pauses. Normally the dogs would be barking by now. She stiffens. Her arms hang limply at her sides, but her fists clench with such nervous force that her knuckles whiten. Composing herself, she steps forward with a quiet caution, her unease mounting with every step. Her heart quickens as she nears the small clearing only to crash swiftly into a dull and reluctant throbbing as the jumble of splintered boards that were once the walls of her cousin’s home fills her gaze. Her eyes widen and fill with tears. And then she sees him – or better what little remains of him.

And she screams.


[ 02-06-2007, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Kazilan
Elminster
 
Mahjong Solitaire Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Join Date: October 31, 2003
Location: USA
Age: 36
Posts: 485

Pandaros

Pandaros fingered the new arrowheads in his belt pouch. It was a new day for him. A job, plenty of supplies, and a cleric in case things went south. He couldn't ask for more. Except, of course, to know where his new friend had gone. Pandaros knew how long it could take to empty oneself of the drinking done the night before, but this was bordering on the ludicrous. Either Sever was setting a new world record or he had disappeared. So much for heroes.

"It appears that you are right, my companion. Sever is gone. I suggest that we head into the wilds and start our search. I can't remember if the Lockes gave us a location for the most recent disturbance, it seems like our conversation with them happened eons ago," - I really need to cut back on the drinking, he added to himself - "but once we determine a destination I'm ready to head out. If we should see signs of trouble I can scout ahead. Better to gather information before jumping to the fray, I always say."

Pandaros rested a hand on the hilt of his sword while waiting for the dwarf's response.


OOC - Feels good to be back with this character - Added color, thanks for the pm Larry

[ 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Kazilan ]
Kazilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
TAOWolf
White Dragon
 

Join Date: December 1, 2001
Location: Mountains of Arkansas, US
Posts: 1,887
Kaylisa TAOWolf

Pushing the hood of her cloak back, she runs her gloved hands through her long hair and quickly plaits it, tying it off with a strip of leather. Her eyes narrow and she rests her left hand upon her staff as she stares down at the town. Seems a quiet town... she thinks to herself as she shifts her gaze to look at the woods surrounding part of the town.. ...but something is not quite right here..

She looks at her companions and waits silently, returning her gaze to the town and her hand tightens on the staff...


OOC - yay!! I have missed this..

[ 02-06-2007, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]
TAOWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator
 

Join Date: March 1, 2001
Location: Midlands, South Carolina
Age: 42
Posts: 14,749
Anarrima

Ana studied Tao for a moment. She had become close to her during this trek through the woods to Lockesville, caring for the wounded lady and learning how to better understand her. Tao was a very concealed persona, hiding much under her many layers, and deep down there where even Ana had not been able to reach yet there was something gnawing at Tao's soul. There was a personal, mental struggle that the lady was suffering and she wanted to be left alone to deal with it, and so Ana had been unsuccessful in her attempts to help. As a cleric, she felt that she was letting her patient down because of this, and so was overcompensating in other ways by treating Tao as a precious friend that she could not part from.

However, she could easily read the feeling of concern, maybe even trouble coming from Tao now.

She spoke to nobody in particular.

"This is a human settlement, and from the looks of it they are more primitive in their ways than that of other towns we have thus visited. It may be that we are not well-received, being that none of us are actually human..."

At this, she looked at Vincent whose wild-elf mother shown clearly in his features.

"Let us be on our best behavior, and be quick to pass through, hopefully without causing too much of a stir..."

At this, Yevaud was paid a well-earned glare.

"We are low on money for equipment repair and replacements, so I suggest we try to find some employment so we can be on our way. We'll also need to seek further healing for Lady Tao, and for her costs I will take that unto myself.

Let's go."


With that, Anarrima began to lead the way to the large gate that was opening even as they were nearing it.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
TAOWolf
White Dragon
 

Join Date: December 1, 2001
Location: Mountains of Arkansas, US
Posts: 1,887
She looks down at Ana, and smiles softly at this young one's intuition and good karma. Catching her eye by laying a gloved hand on her shoulder, her eyes briefly turn to wolf then back, asking the unspoken question, would it be safer if I were to be in wolf form? knowing that her eyes above all else will cause concern in a primitive society, not to mention that she does not cast a shadow...

Reaching into a pouch, she retrieves four stones: an emerald, sapphire, ruby and a curious looking stone resembling the light that shines through the trees at night from a full moon. These she hands silently to Ana.

Her gaze returns to the town, and she frowns slightly as the wound to her soul twitches in her brain. She sighs softly and moves a little back from where the others are standing. Putting her staff in the only place it will be completely safe (Ana's hand) she touches the bracer around her neck.

The wind shifts, blowing leaves up around the companions in a whirlwind of colors. As the leaves settle back to the ground, a wolf, silver and black stands next to Ana, and bumps her free hand with her head....


[ 02-07-2007, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]
TAOWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator
 

Join Date: March 1, 2001
Location: Midlands, South Carolina
Age: 42
Posts: 14,749
Anarrima

Tao had been right. This party was strange enough with two full-blood elves and one half-elf. But Tao's persona would stand out even moreso than the three. It was wise to do what she did, though Ana of course was concerned with the strength it would take to shift back and forth.

She rubbed Tao's head and spoke to her.

"It may be a shock to see a cleric who has a wolf companion, but not nearly as shocking as seeing a human form with eyes of a wolf. Good thinking, lady.

Come on you two!"
She called to Yevaud and Vincent. The three with their wolf companion were heading to the door that had opened and two forms were emerging from therein. Did Ana see a dwarf? Maybe this town was not as isolated as she had feared.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth
 

Join Date: February 7, 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,980
Edward Locke

“I do not know, Simon,” he says with the characteristic measured pace of his words, “for the first time in quite some years, I simply do not know how to proceed.” The silence that holds between the brothers is awkward. Edward seldom expresses confusion before anyone, even his brother, let alone the strange uncertainty that now marks both his words and his bearing. “This Joseph,” he continues, “there is the ring of truth about his words. And more....” Again he falls silent as he puts his thoughts in order. “..... there is that about him which makes him believable. And yet, it is he who insists that he is not to be simply believed.” He stops. Despite the uncertainty he has expressed there is a firm clarity in his gaze as he fixes his eyes upon those of his brother. “And in that regard I believe he is absolutely correct.” Another pause, punctuated by a series of deep breaths. “And this is what puzzles me, for this is a man that should he wish to deceive us would seem to be able to do so with no small ease, and yet it is he who is the first to indicate this and to encourage a certain skepticism within us regarding his words and actions. He is..... talented, Simon, remarkably talented, but with a talent unlike any I have ever witnessed.” He grows very quiet and his eyes stare vacantly at his feet. “And I wonder, to my shame, what danger I may have invited in seeing that his life be preserved.”

Noting his brother’s reaction, he raises his hand. “No, Simon, please do not be shocked or dismayed with me. I do not regret for one moment the choice to do what the laws of goodness and hospitality demand. But I cannot refrain, in this instance at least, from wondering what price obedience to these laws will exact from us...... from all of us.” He pauses only briefly to note that he is understood by his younger brother before continuing. “He has told me much, more than the few minutes of our time together would seem to allow as possible. Visit him, Simon, and speak with him. We must decide together what to make of this man who seemed so frail just yesterday and yet shows so little fragility today.”
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton
 

Join Date: July 19, 2003
Location: an expat living in France
Age: 33
Posts: 5,577
Vindson

*CLANG*
*CLANG*

The sound of Vindson's hammer ringing against metal was a sound the dweller's of the town were used to more often early in the morning. This day brought the familiar noise after midday, the usual afternoon nap time of the ageing smith.

Heavily sweating in his workshop, Vindson hunched over Xaver's armour. The damage to it was worse than what he had thought after first seeing it. A particularly deep and ugly tear in the material would require several hours of work on its own, possibly even adding some new metal. Work had to be done, had to be finished on time. And Vinson was a man of his word. So he hammered on.

*CLANG*
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
-OOC- thread for LOF: Awakenings Larry_OHF Ironworks Online Roleplaying 335 10-19-2009 04:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2017 Ironworks Gaming TM & The Great Escape Studios - All Rights Reserved