Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Specifically the ones in the Severed Hand. I've noticed that they seem to take more damage than I would expect them to - possibly only from piercing and slashing weapons. Am I crazy, or is there something to this?

Regardless, I love fighting them, with the exception of the archers. They're easy XP if you can shield your weaklings from ambushes. On insane, a shadowed goblin warrior that can only take two, maybe three, hits is worth 1600 XP.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
silencer
Dungeon Master

"Shadow" creatures in the reclamation of Mithril Hall and the ones released by Chaos (DL) all had particular aversions to slashing/piercing weapons.

I could only assume since their essence is corpereal there is little resistance.
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Re: the reclamation of Mithril Hall - Is this a game/mod, or are you referring to the Salvatore book Streams of Silver?

If you're talking about the book, I don't remember any such thing. It was torchlight that made them vulnerable to weapons (but I own it, so I can check when I get home).

Your explanation re: corporeality(ness?) makes sense though.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
silencer
Dungeon Master

Catti-Brie hurt one of them with a sword before they drove them away with torches and Fairy-Fire.

Though it still was a short passage and didn't render much detail, I was mostly going by the ones in DL; blunt weapons had almost no effect whatsoever.

[ 08-27-2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: silencer ]
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Ok, that makes sense. In IWD (the game), I think blunt weapons still work fine - my Conlan's hammer is effective. But simple arrows quite often do damage in double digits, and I had a paladin in a former party do over 20 on a non-critical hit. So there must be a weakness (negative resistance) to the ol' slashing and piercing.