Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Perplexed Jan "has nothing to say" to me...

..Jan was Imprisoned in a battle. I cast Freedom and he returned, but now he won't rejoin. When you try to talk to him you get the "has nothing to say to you" line. My Virtue and Rep are quite high, could that be the reason? Anybody had this before? TIA

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Jan "has nothing to say" to me...

Nothing to do with Rep and Virtue...

This is just a simple glitch. I'd recomend the obvious: Restarting the game.

If it was a really tough fight and you don't feel like reloading, then a reinstall might be in order. Hate to say it, but that's all I can think of.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Shadow Stranger

Sounds like he has come back as an ordinary npc, not as Jan.

Edit:
I can only imagine that Jan has dialog provided for him in places where the designers expected he would occur: the Government District of Athkatla, the Jansen home and in the party. Elf Bane did not say where the battle concerned took place, if it is a place where Jan would not normally be found wandering by himself... I am assuming that dialog is tied to area locations.

Fortunately, Shadowkeeper is very good. Further, you may be able to hex edit the relevant save game to restore Jan to the party.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 08-18-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

just guessing, and i've probably got the CLUA code wrong, but have i read that your can CTRL-W any creature into your party - the Jan you've got recruited like that might work a bit oddly but worth a try maybe?
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

I don't know, what you could do is try Ctrl + letter for all 26 letters and see what happens for each key combination.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Stranger View Post
Sounds like he has come back as an ordinary npc, not as Jan.

Edit:
I can only imagine that Jan has dialog provided for him in places where the designers expected he would occur: the Government District of Athkatla, the Jansen home and in the party. Elf Bane did not say where the battle concerned took place, if it is a place where Jan would not normally be found wandering by himself... I am assuming that dialog is tied to area locations.

Fortunately, Shadowkeeper is very good. Further, you may be able to hex edit the relevant save game to restore Jan to the party.
The battle occured in the Underdark. We were fighting the deranged wizard you release from the crystal. I cast Freedom and the wizard Vithal showed up. So I used my second Freedom scroll and Jan showed up, but now won't join.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

If you can: reload. Getting Jan into the party through cheating might make him lose his banters. And I can't see a different reason for having Jan in your party.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Shadow Stranger

The Underdark, fairly safe guess that Jan is not meant to be wandering around there, hence the designers would not have created dialog for him. Looks like reload is your only meaningful choice.

If Jan were added to the party by the usual means, he would be loaded from scratch. Hence he would not have anything in the way of items or xp that he gained as a party member.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Stranger View Post
The Underdark, fairly safe guess that Jan is not meant to be wandering around there, hence the designers would not have created dialog for him. Looks like reload is your only meaningful choice.

If Jan were added to the party by the usual means, he would be loaded from scratch. Hence he would not have anything in the way of items or xp that he gained as a party member.
and

Quote:

Er... no.

Freedom scroll is supposed to restore a character from being imprisoned just like he was before, with all the items and xp he gained as a party member. No matter underdark or not.
The fact it's not happening here is a glitch.

Just like leaving Jan somewhere and telling him wait here. When you come back he should have dialogue (no matter where, even in obscure locations). and he should have items/xp.
imprisonment & freedom (and petrification & stone to flesh) is just like removing a character from a party. He should have everything intact, and aside from broken romance not be affected in any way.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Afaik, you can cast Cure on him to clear his mind, and he'll reward you. Well, one of those cleric spells... though I'm fairly sure Cure should work.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote