Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default to kill or not to kill, that is the question

Thank God, this game is no ego-shooter. I really like games, that force you to use your brain instead of wiping out anything that moves. And i really like games, that give you the choice to be good or bad, to kill or not to kill someone.

I wonder, if you killed the vampire to get the element of evil, becouse most people say, its not worth letting her bite you. But i think she's not evil. Okay, she's a vampire. But she didnt even try to attack me or anything. I would not feel good after killing her. I mean, i'm playing a hero, don't i? (I know, you can steal the element from here. And you really should try this, just to see how she reacts, when she catches you )
I even was not sure about killing scabban in the crypt. But, okay, he was dangerous in his insanity.
I also hope, the guy i have to kill to become an assassin, really deserves his death. I really want to become an assassin, and i guess scantrill doesn't simply drop the Dagger, when he is killed (or does he?) But i really don't want to be a paid murderer (Well, an assassin actually is a paid murderer, but .. you know what i mean.)

Last edited by Woodwose; 10-08-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Woodwose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Law
Dungeon Master

Default Re: to kill or not to kill, that is the question

I also like that the games can be played as you like.

For Lysandra of Yur the only ways I know to get the item are to steal it, kill her or let her bite you. The last will turn you into a Vampire (see other active thread) that I don't like.

For Scabban you don't really need to kill him. You can leave him alive in case you have any characters that want to complete the quest later in the game. He will move around after you first talk to him (For me he usually ends up in the under water tunnel -- I guess he followed me.)

For the assassin quest Raskalion does not always attack you. You can decide if stealing from the King is evil enough to kill him.

If you tell him "no" when he asks if you will keep his secret then he will attack.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Radek
Red Dragon

I am usually ready to kill baddies, even if they don't attack - because they are baddies On the other hand, I don't like to kill beings, which look like baddies but which are not so bad in fact. As far as W&W is concerned:

(1) Scabban - not enough good , listen to his plans. Because I am playing a solo character, Scabban gets killed.
(2) Lysandra - I cannot steal in the moment when I meet her and I don't want to become a vampire. Lysandra gets killed but I don't like it.
(3) Raskalion - When I meet Raskalion, I have the Assassin quest. Therefore, I make him fight by the "no" answer. You are right, you cannot get the Assassin Dagger otherwise. If you simply kill Scanthril, he will drop a Skull Dagger (a cursed dagger, good to sell but not good to use) instead of the Assassin Dagger.
(4) Scanthirl gets killed after completing the Assassin quest, it was he who hired Grue Morde to kill the mayor of Valeia. Moreover, he cannot behave himself and I don't like morons like him
Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Eagle eye
Elminster

I have a habit of killing everything that moves, (yes, just like those ego-shooters) usually for the extra xp. If I'm at a low level, an NPC on hard can sometimes give some decent xp(especially the tree). Though killing NPC's too early means you may not be able to finish some quests, so if you want to finish the game having done absolutely everything, it is probably not wise to kill the good people.
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I agree, Woodwose... Killing everything that moves, just for the sake of killing, isn't a whole lot of fun. I've been replaying MM6, and some of the on-the-side comments from some of the townspeople (children asking "do goblins have children too?" and things like that) can make you think about it...

I'm with Radek... Scanthril dies after he gives me the right dagger. I learn my lessons well... As for the others...
  • Scabban doesn't have to die in the game, although since he's deranged, it's either kill him, or let him kill others.
  • Raskalion... I feel bad about killing him, and usually goad him into attacking. If you listen, he's a bit deranged as well
  • Lysandra... Much as I'm fond of vampires, she goes down. Nothing good lives in that castle any more.
  • Grue Morde... no problem here, or with the other simple killings, like Mon the Sculz, Gineling, Doshi Gin, and more.

Hmmm... that could be an interesting game. Anyone want to try to make it through without killing any of the non-monsters?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

*Several adventurers bathe with holy golden light appeared in a middle of a busy Brimlock Noon's street and proudly proclaim*

Hear me hear ye!

In my quest to get rid Gael Serran of evil, in this case the evil pharoah Seth. Everything or everyone that stood in my way or prevent me from achieving my goal will be vanquish in the name of the kerah!

Scabban - his vile deeds have spread the plague beyond the tomb. He has mangled himself with the arts of necromancy. If left uncheck, he will contaminate the population of valeia with his plague. Of all that is holy, he must die!

Raskalion - He must be sacrifice so that one of my character can become more powerful and have enough power to face Seth. ie, become an assassin. Not killing him will prevent me from achieving that goal. Thus he must be killed in the name of the kerah.

Lysandra - She holds an object that is needed to vanquish a demon from the Shurugeon Castle. She is unwilling to freely give that element without consequenses to my party. She prevents me from vanquishing evil, that makes her an accomplice of evil and thus she must be kill!!

*unsheathe mavin sword and point it at some curious onlookers*

Any of you dare to prevent me from achieving my aim to rid Gael Serran of evil?

Last edited by Kakero; 10-08-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Any of you dare to prevent me from achieving my aim to rid Gael Serran of evil?
O course not, Kakero, you are completely right!!! We would never contradict you, as long as you are holding that really sharp blade. :icon18:

Quote:
Hmmm... that could be an interesting game. Anyone want to try to make it through without killing any of the non-monsters?
Yes, that could be challenging. I for myself even try to prevent others from dying.for exemple, when harespia opens the secret door to her treasure, that door often crushes some of the gypsies. So i reloaded a few times and pushed them around the room, until all of them were save.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

The only creatures you actually have to kill are the mummies in the entrance hall of Cet's Pyramid. Everyone else you can just ignore.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Eagle eye
Elminster

Yes, wouldn't that be a challenge - Completing the game having killed only those few who you must kill to progress. Having said that though, I'm sure it would be near impossible for one to have the appropriate amount of strength to kill any one of them...
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That would be more than challenging! I tried not to kill the first nymph i met early in the game (cause she looks so cute). I paralyzed her, teleported her, tried to lock her in the crypt. She followed me everywhere, and that really became annoying.
I imagine a bunch of trolls, worgurs, raiders, toads, serpents, spiders ... all following you through the entire game! And than i imagine half a dozen of amazoni mantraps following you! That would be challenging!!!