Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Xydusa overrated?

I just killed the big bad naga, and i did'nt find it as hard as i expected. Of course, she IS tough, but after all i've read about her on this page, i thougt this battle to be much harder.
I fought her twice and won both times. I think, the key was perfect preparation. I made shure, that as many as possible of my heros were able to remove petrification and paralyzation by distributing potions and scrolls and spelled all the helpful spells i had: bless, armored realm, heroic might, toughen and (most important) haste on every character. Then i rushed in and hit, hit, hit the Naga as quickly as i could, interrupting most of her own attacks.
On the first try, when anyone except my barbarian was killed or stoned, i guess i missed the right moment for a tactical retreat. But second time, wiser now, i rushed around a few corners, healed my heros, renewed the helpful spells and ran back again, finishing the battle, this time endig up with noone killed, stoned or even paralyzed.

By the way: I was a bit disappointed by keriells potion. It's just a sleep-spell? Well, it's a sleep-spell affecting the naga, but i expected more. It just granted me one or two free hits.
Ah, now that i'm writing this, i can imagine ... It would grant you a save retreat or a chance to heal. Well, too late now.
Woodwose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Xydusa overrated?

Ahh... sssweet mother Xydusssssaa......

Welcome to the boardssss, young priesssst....

Battle isn't that tricky, but the real purpose of the potion is to get a special trait. If you *haven't* killed Xydusa, then when you see Elyssia, one of your characters can get the... snakeskin trait, IIRC. It gives you immunity to poison.

If Xydusa is dead, you don't get the chance to get it.

I usually go in with a couple of her potions. How? By buying Algamesh's necklace back and giving it to her again. She's pretty amazing that way

Keep us posted on your progress... and prowess
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Radek
Red Dragon

If you want the trait then:

(1) In fact, you don't need the potion. The only thing that matters is having Xydusa alive when you meet Elysia. You can run around Xydusa as well.
(2) If you have the potion then lure Xydusa from her starting position first! She is blocking the door out and if you put her into sleep there then you will be unable to go around her. Hide behind the "round shield" in Xydusa's chamber and let her find "a better attacking position". Once she moves away from the door, use the potion.
(3) Talking with Elysia is the moment where the game freezes most often. You have about 30% chance that the game will not hang your computer there! Therefore, prepare your people for the battle, save the game before entering the auditorium, and go to Elysia. Talk with her. Your machine is hanging? It's normal, ctrl-alt-del, and quit W&W using the process manager. Restart, reload.
(4) The trait gets the one who is talking with Elysia. Activate the right member of your party before talking.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you for the warm welcome, bugleau and radek.

Yes, i got the snakeskin-trait and killed xydusa later. When i met the nage for the first time, i lured her out of the gate and ran around her, as radek discribed. It worked without the potion (at this time, i simply forgot obout it), and gave me some quite spooky moments, wandering through that maze, searching for Elyssia and knowing, the naga is still here somewhere ... (I like that first-person-roleplay)

And when we're already talking about it: Is it possible to get the snakeskin, when you didnt join the sect, giving kreug the 1000 gps (and all the other donations)?

Last edited by Woodwose; 08-29-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I think it is possible... I usually join the sect because it's easier to get the serpin coins that way. Every priest carries one that he will sell to you, but not every priest drops one when he dies.

Once I've got the 67 or so serpins I need (for the thieves quest and for the doors and cones), I'll start slicing snakes....

I usually take care of Xydusa with a well-aimed firestorm... barbecued snake, mmmmm.... :slurp:

I'm making myself hungry now!
-+-+-+
Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Xydusa is easy, in fact trying to drop down into her room is more dangerous than her fight. There was several times that I got stuck and my entire party was crushed to death by the moving floor.

Never had problem with getting serpent coins, since I set the spawn rate as high, priests are everywhere.

Nice thing about kreug is that if you don't have enough money for the temple's entrance fee. He'll accept whatever gold you have with you.

Last edited by Kakero; 08-29-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

You need not join the temple and you will get the trait still. I am never joining, Kreug is always right that he has made a mistake The coins: There are bags of snake priests around and new ones are popping up continuously. You will always collect more coins than you need.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh man, i wish i would have read that bevore playing. When i did'nt have enough gold for kreugs fee, i loaded a savegame, went back to the town and got more money from the bank.
Also the coins: i stole the ones i needed to open the gates. Could have been easier...

By the way: I played the serpent temple "undercover", pretending to be a loyal servant, paying all the donations and not killing any priest (only until i fulfilled all my quests, of course). But i wonder what consequences it had. What would have changed, beside the fact, that you are'nt attacked by the priests. I found no way to get the key, which opens the prison-cell, without killing the inquisitor. Well, i didnt kill him by myself, i induced a "tragical accident" with an automatic door, so noone could blame me. Okay, i could have pickpocket the key, but the inquisitor starts to talk to me, when i come close, and whatever i say, he finally attacks me (unless he has a "tragical accident" before).
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The inquisitor doesn't count against you in the temple. Kill him and no one cares. Guess he wasn't Mr Popular around those parts...

I haven't played out all his dialogues, but it seems that he always ends up attacking me. I figure if he attacks first, no one cares. I don't remember what happens if I attack him first...

Few things I hate more than being in the middle of a battle when a Dowry priest comes up...

*Ahem* Oh, faithful one....

One advantage to staying in the temple as long as possible... you don't have priests casting Venom Bite and poisoning you all the time. Man, does that get annoying....
-+-+-+
Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

Poisoning by snake priests isn't tragedy. Their poisoning is slow, moreover, they also drop bags of Cure Poison potions. Don't cure as long as you can heal youself easily. Use the potions only if you lose hit points too quickly.
On the other hand, Xydusa can be dangerous. Her poisoning is serious. You'd better cure yourself ASAP.