Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 06-05-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Edd_y
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is a great game, all bugs aside…
I didn’t like having to go through these forums to find out how to uncompress my .avi files or how to get past stuck villagers; but the game play and the pure fun I’ve had are well worth the $10 I purchased this game for. My biggest disappointment however is the games graphics. Yes I am one of those people that say "graphics don't matter", but look at Wizardry 8. It came out before WW and has better graphics. So to get to the point, is there some sort of high res textures pack or something along those lines that I can download so I don't have to look at muddy pixely textures while I’m adventuring?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Edd_y:
This is a great game, all bugs aside…
I didn’t like having to go through these forums to find out how to uncompress my .avi files or how to get past stuck villagers; but the game play and the pure fun I’ve had are well worth the $10 I purchased this game for. My biggest disappointment however is the games graphics. Yes I am one of those people that say "graphics don't matter", but look at Wizardry 8. It came out before WW and has better graphics. So to get to the point, is there some sort of high res textures pack or something along those lines that I can download so I don't have to look at muddy pixely textures while I’m adventuring?
Welcome to the board, Edd_y!!!

Wiz8 came out years after W&W - W&W was released in 1999.

There will be no additional support or updates coming on this game. It was rushed to market when the development funds ran low and Activision doesn't really care about this game at all.

What settings are you currently using in the game? I personally ended up using just the software graphic settings and found the graphics in the game very nice.
If you want to see better graphics you might considering getting Dungeon Lords - it isn't a sequel to W&W but has many similar elements as one might expect having been developed by the same company.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Edd_y! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May life in the Gael Serran restore the spark that was missing [img]smile.gif[/img]

To complement Wyv's question, the display may look better at a different resolution. Methinks that if you increase the screen size (to something beyond 800x600), you should see better quality graphics.

From a quick review of my game CDs: W&W is copyright 2000, and Wiz8 is copyright 2001. I don't remember when they actually hit the shelves...

Wyv does have a good point about DL, though. It's got a lot higher quality graphics than W&W does. Lemmetellya about the height of the grass that grows in this place...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

My memory must be getting fuzzy -

Another thing to consider - we're talking two different companies producing 2 different games - different funding, artists, and resources.

[ 06-06-2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

'Course, there can be anywhere from 13 to 24 months between those two dates... I know I got W&W a lot earlier than Wiz8.

I know I notice pixelated graphics in my game, but typically only when I'm in the administrative areas -- saving, loading, options, and so on. I generally don't notice them during gameplay.

Post your current settings, and we'll see if they can be tweaked to give you more of the game you'd like
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-06-2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Edd_y
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the replies and welcomes. I am currently using an "unofficial" patch that I found on these boards and am playing the game at 1280 by 1024. It doesn’t seem to make any difference though. I have all settings maxed as well.

I was wrong, lol I was looking at the cd's and mistook the W&W and the Wiz CD's. So Wizardry is in fact a bit older then W&W.

That really bites that they would not support such an awesome game, because I find myself being turned off by the ugly forests in the game. They all look the same, like a little cardboard cutout. Its really easy to get lost, unless you constantly have the map out. They should have at least put in more tree variety, then it wouldn’t be as noticeable!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Edd_y welcome.
This game can become very consuming after a while & you don't notice the graphics. Often graphics are the last thing on your mind when you are being chased back to the town gates by a large salad.
The cardboard cutout forests can be quite entertaining, especially when you find out how to tree surf. Also try to scale the city gates, you can be surprised at what you find behind them.

[ 06-15-2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: kev ]