Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I have 2 characters at the present moment capable of creating portals & teleporting to them. I've read all the threads concerning portals because I thought that it would be GREAT if each of my casters could have their own little portal in one map area: ex: character "a" has a portal to the Snake Temple area while character " b" has one to the Crypt since they both have the teleport spells if I click on character "a" ZAP I would get teleported to the Snake temple area (no more swimming etc.) or I click on character "b" with the teleport spell and there I am back at the crypt. Radek in a post awhile back suggested this would be possible but Bungleau argued that it was ONLY one portal per area (an area being defined as one of 3 of the overland maps -- Eastern Forests, Midlands or Western Seas & one per dungeon.
I had my first Warlock character create a portal outside the Crypt & took him along with my newly created Warlock as she Leveled up. When she finally reached Lvl 7 I had her create a portal inside the Crypt entrance room to the dungeon (but not inside the dungeon itself) as I was intending her to go solo for a few rounds when she hit Lvl 8 Warlock. Well, to make a long story short, when he teleported to the Crypt the next time my female warlock's Portal had replaced my male warlock's.
Ok, I thought time for an experiment: I had my female warlock create a Portal at the Landing pier to Ishad N'Ha while my male warlock was there. Fine the poral worked & she Tp'd herself right to the Pier. My male Warlock should have still had his Portal to the Crypt Right!! NO his portal had been replaced by the LAST one cast -- the one by my female Warlock. I tested this again SOLO -- & found that again Bungleau was right. When my male warlock tried to teleport to the Crypt he ended up at the Ishad N'Ha Pier.
Conclusion: NOTE well all who thought like I do -- ONLY ONE FUNCTIONING PORTAL PER MAP AREA & THE LAST PORTAL CAST REPLACES THE PREVIOUS ONE . So be careful if you have more than one character capable of casting these MOON spells.
Robalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:31 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

[img]graemlins/moon.gif[/img] Indeed.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks Robalex!!

I always worked/played under that presumption but it is nice to have it clarified! [img]smile.gif[/img] Certainly would have been nice had multiple portals been possible and perhaps that had been in the original plans for the game. I found that one was quite workable.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm... I hate to say it, but I think there's something more to the mix. I *KNOW* that I have had one portal per spellcaster per area... or six total portals per area.

What you haven't mentioned, Robalex, is who you cast the portal on. What I do as a practice is to have the caster create portal on themself. Then, when they teleport, they cast teleport on themself. And when I do that, I get up to six portals per area.

Now, one caveat to mention: I play patched. I don't know if that has an impact on it or not.

I will also say that it sounds like you've taken a Radek-like approach to your experiments I have not created a portal with one character, created another one with the second, left the second at the inn, and caused the first to teleport. And in just typing that, it reminded me of something... from MM7, I think [img]smile.gif[/img] The character's position may also matter (as opposed to the character). IOW, if your male warlock is in the first character slot, the portal may be associated with that slot, and not with the character. If he moves to another slot, he may "lose" his portal, but "regain" it when he moves back to that slot.

I'd be interested in hearing some more experimentation, and if I get a chance, I'll do some as well.

And Nanobyte.... keep that Moon Magic to yourself [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 AM   #5
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I am playing with the patch too & yes both my spell users cast Create Portal on themselves & then teleport. I even tested it to make sure it was the case by having one cast create portal on the dock area as I said while the other still had his Caste Portal at the Crypt. Unfortunatly the dock was where he teleported with & without the warlock who cast that portal. I'll test the positions to see if that effects it. I'll also put a Mule in placeof the other Port-a-Mage & see what happens by trying a few runs at the Crypt with the Warlock who did it the 1st time. I will also try both Warlocks with the other 4 characters & get back on this.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:34 AM   #6
Robalex
Dungeon Master

Ok I tested it out and here is the experiment: 1st attempt both Port-a-Mages together . Female in slot 1 & male in slot 2. Previous to test the portal was Crypt. I retested to make sure & then cast Call of Home. Then I exited with the two . So I went by water from Ishad N'Ha with these two to the Serpent Temple & had my female now cast Create Portal on herself. Tested it by going aways down the path & it worked. Call of Home by Female.
Next I left got the rest of my party & had my Male Warlock caste Teleport on himself. He should have ended up by the Crypt BUT DIDN'T . He ended up where the female casted Create Portal on herself.
Fine I retested by reloading the last save & then by leaving the female Warlock behind. The Male warlock teleported to the Crypt which of course was his Create Portal. He recaste Create Portal at the Crypt to make sure & then had him caste Call of Home. Then WITHOUT the male warlock I had the Female lead a team to the Serpent Temple & she cast Create Portal on herself & then Call of Home.
Next I left her in the Inn & got my mage out solo. He caste Teleport & again ended up at the Serpent Temple & not the Crypt. I even tried him in one or two different slots with other team memebers & the same thing happened. If you can recreate the circumstances, Bungleau, where you had each Mage being able to teleport to separate areas within the same map area I'd really appreciate some details 'cause it doesn't work for me.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:57 AM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I did some experiments on this a while back - unpatched. I am with Robalex - only one portal per area is possible.

[ 06-09-2004, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]