Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I installed NWN and patched it. I tried to run it and had sound and graphics problems. First, during the character creation screen, my computer had problems processing the ever-changing blue-on-black background and the sound skipped a bit as my processor chugged to catch up. Second, when I finally made my character and launched the beginning movie, the voiceover experienced the same skipping, and the movie didn't play at all--I just got a black screen.

I'm barely competent with computers as it is and the NWN support features are nothing like BG1/BG2, so I am totally lost. Any suggestions anyone could provide would be most helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Did you try and run NWN unpatched? The 1.31 patch has some problems with certain hardware.

Come to that, what hardware do you run? Does it meat the recommended specifications? What OS do you have? Any problems with other games? Its kind of hard to say what the exact problem is without knowing that, best I can suggest at the moment would be to update the drivers for your graphics and soundcards.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:49 PM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I didn't run NWN unpatched. Should I?

According to one of my hallmates, my computer meets the requirements, but barely. Everything runs v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. OS is WinME. (Sucks to be me.)

Thinking about reinstalling.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Funny I had the exact problem you say just last night. The blue background looked almost flash-based and even module loading times were agonizing. Game-play was just terrible (fps of 9) and it all boiled down to my video drivers.

It seems NWN's can sometimes become 'attached' to your current drivers so when you update or reinstall it won't let go. I was running a Geforce card though, if you are too then try reinstalling video drivers.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Some games can be played with below minimum requirements and some games will run sluggishly even if you meet them. My computer is way above the min. reqs. so I don't know which category NWN falls into. It can also depend on the brand of hardware etc. If you haven't already, update your video card drivers.

If it is like andrewas said there should probably be some documentation somewhere on BioWares site descibing which hardware version 1.31 have a problem running with. I also believe there will be a 1.32 patch coming out soon.

As for the blue-black screen at character creation, I have experienced some occasional problems with that as well yet my game runs flawlessly.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:53 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Some games can be played with below minimum requirements and some games will run sluggishly even if you meet them. My computer is way above the min. reqs. so I don't know which category NWN falls into. It can also depend on the brand of hardware etc. If you haven't already, update your video card drivers.

If it is like andrewas said there should probably be some documentation somewhere on BioWares site descibing which hardware version 1.31 have a problem running with. I also believe there will be a 1.32 patch coming out soon.

As for the blue-black screen at character creation, I have experienced some occasional problems with that as well yet my game runs flawlessly.
My computer is a celeron 333 and the game is working very well. I posted my full specs in a thread called "the real system requirements" or something like that.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:24 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah and I remember you played IWD2 with it also.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:50 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Yeah and I remember you played IWD2 with it also.
I'm playing Arx Fatalis, too. And I even tried one of my friend's Morrowind for 5 mins.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:51 AM   #9
andrewas
Harper

AS I posted in luvian's thread (or at least I think I did), the reason he can get away with a processor that slow is that he has a decent video card. NWN is sensitive to video cards.

From what your saying, I would think you need to upgrade your graphics card, to a geforce2 MX at the least. (AGP if your mobo can support it, PCI otherwise). Thats the cheapest solution (I think. Im not saying nothing for definite without complete specs).