Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

When the Republic of Texas joined the United States of America one of the provisions was that Texas could, at a later date, divide into as many as 6 states. Do you think that Texas should exercise this option?
One benefit of this is that 10 extra Senators with at least a "same region" bias could make a major impact on national policy. Another consideration is that even broken into 6 states, each state would still be larger than most western European countries. This could also lead to a more responsive state government.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:22 PM   #2
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

They should form a new nation! Just look at the great trading companions all around them.

I donīt know, but Texas is large enough to be a country. George Bush could be transferred to itīs president, so he could direct his anger towards Cuba instead. Then Michael Jordan could take the real task. Iīve always supported his views conserining the future of the States. More basketball and golf from TV!

And because this is so crazy thought, I'm leaving now. Under the bed.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
They should form a new nation! Just look at the great trading companions all around them.

I donīt know, but Texas is large enough to be a country. George Bush could be transferred to itīs president, so he could direct his anger towards Cuba instead. Then Michael Jordan could take the real task. Iīve always supported his views conserining the future of the States. More basketball and golf from TV!

And because this is so crazy thought, I'm leaving now. Under the bed.
Dont go under the bed. Thats where you stash all the underwear with skidmarks remember? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2002, 09:43 PM   #4
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

LoA, just the person I wanted to talk with. Is it true that there is a North and South Carolina because the guy doing the original survey was drunk and thought he was eeing double?
Old 11-03-2002, 09:53 PM   #5
Charean
Hathor

You raised a good question about Texas, antryg.

There was a grassroots movement to secede from the nation a few times in the last few decades. They would rather be their own country than be beholden to anyone. Besides, this is the only state that is completely self-sufficient.

Now to break in up into 6 new states, I don't see Texans doing that. They like being among the biggest states as far as I can tell. Mind you, I am still new here and haven't gotten a real feel for this, so I will find some natives to ask and get back to you.

My own feeling would be that it would create more problems than it would solve. But that is only my first impression. (Too much paperwork!)
Old 11-04-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
LoA, just the person I wanted to talk with. Is it true that there is a North and South Carolina because the guy doing the original survey was drunk and thought he was eeing double?
Of course there is. Just because you don't have a North, South, East, West, and Central Texas doesn't mean you have to go picking on the poor defenseless Carolinas
Old 11-04-2002, 12:44 AM   #7
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Nanobyte- I apologize to anyone in either Carolina that might have taken offense. The only one I was trying to offend is LoA.

Charean- It could indeed cause problems but there could be several plusses. With the exception of San Antonio all the major cities are in either North or Central Texas. The "Robin Hood" educational finance plan has severely taxed and weakened the schools in those areas to the benefit of areas that don't have as strong a tax base. Another benefit is the fact that at least one of the new states would have Spanish as the native language of a large majority of the population. This would please extremists on both ends of the spectrum. You are right though about it being a hit to the Texas ego. All you have to do is look at the state anthem: "all hail the mighty state" "boldest and grandest, outshining all the rest". Being a member of a normal sized state might be hard on many "born and bred Texans".
Old 11-04-2002, 09:29 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Gods. . . Urm.... the last thing the world needs is another Texas.

As to the multipication of Senators due to a secession or mitosis of the State, note that the number of Reps would stay the same.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Hmm what would you name the 6 lone states? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

You could do what they did with the family of C:

Texas, Texas + ,Texas ++, Texas #, Tex, and Folgers [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Or maybe you could have them named after their most beloved presidents...

"Bushexas, Bushano, New Bushland, Clintonia, Nixonam, and New New Mexico" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Or perhaps. . .

"Northeast Texas, Northwaest Texas, South East Texas, South West Texas, Middle Eastern Texas, Middle Western Texas" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 10:22 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Howabout Billy, Bubba, Roy Bob, Earl, and Ford Pickup? I think those would make great names.