Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2001, 08:36 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Saturday night I had a very strange dream that I thought I would share with you.

The part that I can remember, goes like this:

I am in the sea, bobbing about on gentle waves. The sea is weird though, it doesn't cover everywhere, but is in 10 metre wide strips - like roads - all crisscrossing in a grid. There is nothingness between the strips, and occasional islands.

I am by an island, with a couple of other people (don't know who) and we can't agree which strip of sea to swim along. So we go our separate ways, and I swim by myself away from the island we have left. One of my fellow swimmers heads off to the right, the other to the left - I choose the strip of sea straight ahead.

The sea is calm, warm, and easy to swim in. The tide is carrying me along. I have no destination in mind, I will just go where I am carried. I travel for hundreds of miles by myself - my dream is strangely quiet - no sounds, and the colours are muted, as are emotions - I feel a bit detached from it all. Eventually I reach an island, and head onto the land.

The only thing on the island is a pub, with some rooms for people to stay in. I take one of the rooms and head down to the bar. The barman is a rotund, middle-aged man, and he doesn't like me. I don't know why. I ask for a pint of beer, and just to be awkward, he pours me 2 half-pints. I ask him for a pint glass, and pour both drinks into the one glass. He says he thought I couldn't possibly be ordering a pint for myself, I must be here with someone, hence he split the drink in two. I tell him I am here by myself, and take my drink to a free table.

All the other tables are taken. I can hear the conversations going on around me. A group of Jamaican men sit and discuss philosophy, passing papers between each other. Their conversation is animated and complex, I find it difficult to keep up with. A couple behind me sit at a table and discuss literature. Again, I can't keep up with their discussion. They are discussing in some depth subjects about which I have no understanding. I can't go and join in with these groups, I am here by myself. You can only talk with the people you arrived with.

I realise I am trapped on the island, there are no other strips of sea leading away from it - the one I came in on is flowing the wrong way and I would have to swim against the tide. I will be here by myself forever. I don't feel panic, just resignation.
*END*

Ideas anyone?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 10-15-2001).]
Old 10-15-2001, 08:41 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Strange dream Epona, mentioning the sea, reminds me of a dream I once had:

I was in a pool, it was so deep that I couldn't see the bottom, I could, however sense movement down there and knew that something was watching me, suddenly, I felt a need to get out of the pool fast, because I knew that whatever was below me was going to attack, I headed for the edge, but I couldn't get out of the pool! It was surrounded by high cliffs which I couldn't climb, and all the time, the feeling that whatever was below me was getting closer, I look down and see some horrible cross between a jellyfish and a sea serpent heading towards me, *Dream Ends.*

Wierd huh?

------------------
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.
Sorcerer of Lady Lioness's Court.

1 point from sainthood in the test of corruption.

2nd place in the longest sig of IW contest 2001.

The sorcerer/assasin who says: Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Ptang-Zoom-Boing.

Guardian of a Secret that noone else knows of.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-15-2001, 09:08 AM   #3
H. Sedai

Very Interestink. It means you love your mother.

That will be $50.00

Please pay on your way out.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac[/list]

Old 10-15-2001, 09:19 AM   #4
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Dearest Epona, if you expect a detailed analysis or even an expert oneirocriticism à la Freud, I am afraid I have got to disappoint you as I am not into that at all. But the rather obvious themes of a feeling of utter loneliness and the fear of impossibility of real communication really struck the proverbial inner chord with me.

Maybe the right moment to tell you once again that the unique style and world view of your posts here have not been overlooked, have instead made a lasting impression and are greatly appreciated - at least with and by me. (and please, don't even bother to tell me that you "were not looking for sympathy", we all constantly are and maybe that is also the only thing we really have got to offer to each other ... )

Btw, the quality of service in that pub reminded me of that at Cloudy's inn ...

------------------
So long !

R³ aka "The Ramonster"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine's "permanent advocate" !

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 10-15-2001).]
Old 10-15-2001, 09:22 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:

Btw, the quality of service in that pub reminded me of that at Cloudy's inn ...

That good, eh??
Thanks Ramon, you always have a kind word.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-15-2001, 09:29 AM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

loneliness? com'on, you know her that well? gee, her dream got nothing to do with loneliness
Old 10-15-2001, 09:39 AM   #7
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Well, 250, I don't know her very well - unfortunately. But have I really phrased that so badly ? I thought it was pretty obvious that I spoke about my perception of and emotional reaction to her account of her dream. But don't you agree that every thinking soul on this planet feels very lonely - from time to time at least ?

So, what do you think then that her dream was about ?

------------------
So long !

R³ aka "The Ramonster"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine's "permanent advocate" !

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !
Old 10-15-2001, 09:43 AM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I agree with Ramon's interpretation of the dream.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:51 AM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I agree with Ramon's interpretation of the dream.
As do I.....anyone wish to third the interpretation?

It made me feel the lonliness just reading it. Hmmmm.....
I can't even remember any dreams I might have had lately. Odd.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-15-2001, 10:29 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Since you already have a dream thread open, I would like to share the dream I had last night...
I dreamed that I had somehow gained the favor of an elven princess, and that life was good. I was so happy in that dream, and we had many adventures, but I really don't remember much at all other than that.

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF and Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.