Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

[img]tongue.gif[/img] I was expecting a chemical explanation. There are many types of molecules in food odours - why are those molecules attracted to the ones in baking soda? Give me the reaction equation for say, baking soda with cheese odour

Such equations helped me understand why soap dissolves in water back in the day
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
Kaltia
Jack Burton

My step-dad has this Danish cheese that smells TERRIBLE. It's really foul. You can smell it through the fridge door, and worst of all, though we have a smell-proof box for it, the cheese is too large so we have to endure 3 weeks of waiting for the amount to vanish before it can go IN said smell-proof box. Ugh >_<.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #13
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

there is a way to stop that from happening, get a peice of wax paper, make it long enough to cover the lid twice, and fold it in half, then place it over the jar, then put the lid bax on, it helps to seal it better

[ 05-28-2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #14
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Is that one of those tricks you learnt in Russia Cloudy?

But I'm slightly sceptical - how can baking soda stop chemicals in the air?
it absorbs it, we use it all the time, and it does help as well, but you have to replace it every 3 months, or it will not work, and you will end up with worse tasting food than when you started
Old 05-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #15
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

--oo--(_!_)--00--
' o o

The above equation is for soap and the so called baking soda mystery.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yup, what they all said...it absorbs the odors if you leave it in the fridge. Sorry I can't corroborate Mack's equations ... LOL...what I know of chemistry you could fit on the head of the proverbial pin, so I can't give you that explanation, Vaskiekins!

All I know is I usually keep an open box of baking soda in the fridge and the freezer and it works!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #17
Sigmar
Unicorn

Chorizo sausages...anything within 10 feet of it begins to stink to high heaven of meat.

The cure...there is not one, but there is one...you must consume it all upon breaking the seal, lest the foul odours that dwell within consume the very fabric of time! Whether you do this with the assistance of bread or cheese is optional.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #18
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Chorizo sausages...anything within 10 feet of it begins to stink to high heaven of meat.

The cure...there is not one, but there is one...you must consume it all upon breaking the seal, lest the foul odours that dwell within consume the very fabric of time! Whether you do this with the assistance of bread or cheese is optional.
I have reason to believe that these evils work hand to hand.

One can only assume what manner of sword and sorcery would appear, should these evils be combined in a +-10 C of temperature.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:19 PM   #19
Sigmar
Unicorn

Good lord...

Pickles...in jars...chorizos hanging from the ceiling...such a place exists. The local kebab takeaway. THE DEVIL DWELLS WITHIN! WE'RE ALL DOOMED, DOOMED I TELLS YA!

*cough*

Keeping the smelly food products in question in air tight sacs is a sure fire way of ensuring that the evil is contained.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:16 PM   #20
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Good lord...

Pickles...in jars...chorizos hanging from the ceiling...such a place exists. The local kebab takeaway. THE DEVIL DWELLS WITHIN! WE'RE ALL DOOMED, DOOMED I TELLS YA!

*cough*

Keeping the smelly food products in question in air tight sacs is a sure fire way of ensuring that the evil is contained.
Yes, using tight air sacs is the way to contain the evil within, but only for so long! Whether the peasantfolk wishes to aknowledge it or not, the jars, however well contained they seem to be, however many pieces of wax paper it has on it, however many cans of soda cover it - Nothing can truly destroy it. Even breaking the jar while driving 400 kmph is a huge mistake, since it causes a cloud of disease, which can cover all of Estonia in a matter of hours!

Hell, I even took some pics of it!

This is me being really pissed off.

This is me ganging up with my friends to kill some overgrown pickles.

This is me kicking some pickle ass!

(*These pictures belong to the respectful site owners. Also, they belong to the Anime masterpiece, Berserk.)

(*Yes, I am currently not in the right state of mind.)

[ 05-28-2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: uss ]