Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I am getting SO frustrated with my home PC!!! I've listed the various problems I've had before - but the biggest problem has been that the PC will simply shut down and reboot without ANY warning whatsoever. I then get a message saying "The system has recovered from a serious error."

The frustrating thing is that I JUST GOT MY PC BACK from the shop AGAIN. I took it to a different shop this time and told them I didn't want them to "troubleshoot" or "diagnose" the problem in any way. I simply wanted them to wipe my harddrive clean and do a brand-new, fresh install of the O.S. The previous shop had screwed up my Installation each time they tried it. Even though they eventually got it right, I figured their previous mistakes must have caused some type of anomaly in the system that caused this frequent rebooting. So wiping the system clean and starting over seemed to be the most logical approach to eliminating ANY such anomalies, viruses or anything else that could be causing the problem.

Well, obviously, I was wrong. I got my PC back and deliberately did NOT install anything new on the computer (except for a new game I bought over the weekend). And it has crashed on me TWICE in the last 24 hours. The really frustrating thing is that these crashes occurred right in the middle of along post to another forum. I had been working on one response for over 30 minutes when I had to get up and go help with the baby for a minute. When I came back, the system had rebooted and I lost EVERYTHING! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

According to the last Error Report, the problem is supposedly being caused by one of my Device Drivers. Does ANYBODY have ANY idea how to fix this??? I've put too much money into this system to scrap it now. Besides, I can't believe that it is so freakin hard to figure out WHAT is causing the problem.

Please help before I end up putting my fist through the screen and have to buy a new monitor on top of everything else.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Cerek the Calmth?

Sorry I can't help much, except to say that I know hwo you feel... my old computer used to do that as well...

I eventually got a new one without figuring out what the problem was...
Old 11-01-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

You really have a problem with your computer don't you? Can't you go to the shop where you bought it and demand a new computer for the money you payed?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Tell us your system specs Cerek. I would ignore the device driver message for now. It may be a lack of memory or a bad memory mod. It may also be a bad mother board. These things are very sensitive and it seems like most computer service centres don't know much, or anything about about ESD (ELectro static discharge. I see them all time, working on pc's without being properly grounded. If you have Norton system works or something like that, which will scan your system, it may help. You may even find something for new to try. Depending on how long you've had the PC, many parts may still be covered. My Hard Drive (Maxtor) was 3.5 years old when I got an error message. I sent it back and got a brand new one. The warranties are only a year now though.I have aida32, which gives all the specs for my system and it's a free download. Maybe it can find something for you.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me not too long ago. All in all it took three months, three visits from so called repairmen, and two trips to the repairshop, because the repairmen brought broken components.

But to make a long story short, my PC kept rebooting randomly, i got the same messages that Windows recovered from a fatal error, and in the end it turned out to be a broken mainboard. Once they found that out and replaced it with a new one, things are going smooth again overhere.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

I was getting the same error messages. The fan on my video card had stopped working and the card was overheating. It was too hot to touch with my hand.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-01-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
But to make a long story short, my PC kept rebooting randomly, i got the same messages that Windows recovered from a fatal error, and in the end it turned out to be a broken mainboard. Once they found that out and replaced it with a new one, things are going smooth again overhere.
Same story here, same problems, and same solution: I had to replace the motherboard, and it has never happened since.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

So it seems that Cerek's soultion is to replace the motherboard.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
So it seems that Cerek's soultion is to replace the motherboard.
Rather like the mechanic saying you need to tear out the entire engine block & put in a new one

Yeah, it works, but it's sort of a last resort...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

time for an upgrade i guess.. unless you just had it upgraded then it should be under warranty

Catch me if you can..