Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-03-2001, 10:48 AM   #101
Balgin
Elminster

When diving down to the sunken city, keep a monster to attack you on the surface so that you won't lose any air going down. Then get to that first air bubble and operate from there untill you've got enough crab shells (there are more inside the city than out).

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 12:31 PM   #102
jsalsb
Elminster

I couldn't find this tip (if I missed it, sorry for the repost ).

Create portal on the Brimloch Roon side of the Dragon Spire. Nothing worse than having to trudge through that mountain twice! Then, DON'T create any more portals in any area of the wilderness you can see on the map from the Dragon Spire. You can return to Ishad Na by ascending the ramp to the Dragon Cave, then jumping off (or walking down the wall to avoid damage; or jumping onto Torrin's head LOL! - "Hello again, Friend...!).

------------------
JonII

[This message has been edited by jsalsb (edited 07-05-2001).]
jsalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 12:11 PM   #103
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you have a lot of money I Suggest you joinl the Serpents Cult and Give money to Every Dorwy Preist you come Across don't Kill Xydusa Yet when you get to Ellsia she will Give the Serpent nectar that no Preist is allowed to Drink. When You come to the Serpents Master he will ask you some Questions The First you should answer yes and the Second Answer never. The Serpents Nectar will give every Person Snake Skin Trait As soon as that happens you maay Kill her and Go back and Kill eveyone you are now strong agianst poision and Don't Neeed a Lizord

------------------
Loumistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 05:31 PM   #104
seniorcitizen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It was suggested by Wyvern that I post this tip to this thread. Thanks, by the way, for the welcome. I was having a difficult time with Elyssa and came here for tips to beat her. I found many helpful suggestions, but when I got back into the game and beat her it was with a device I had not seen here. I have a level 8 party. I lured her out into the narrow passageway up by the elevator. I stood in the niche there. She had all her priests and other entourage behind her. I cast a Possession spell on the first priest who then turned around and started to fight with the others behind him. That kept them busy until I killed her off. Then I went and finished off whoever was left. My party barely got hurt. The Possession scrolls are sold in the Magic Shoppe in Ishad N'Ha.

seniorcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 06:14 PM   #105
WillowIX
Apophis

About killing Xydusa... I´m sure lot´s of you have thought of this but here we go! Don´t fight here in ranged combat!!! No cast bless, heroic might and whatever and then charge in like a drunken sailor in a tavern!! Here´s the trick! Before she´s about to strike her head first goes back once and then another time, THIS is the real strike!! When you see that one coming just back away from here and what do you know "Xydusa misses (out of range)". And woohoo, we´we got snake-stew in less than two minutes, even with a lowlevel party!! BTW you can always cast lure on one character and heal that one if she does hit you! She´s only succeeded once and I´ve killed her four times!!
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 01:25 PM   #106
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Bump but also an obvious tip.

If you have a Zenmaster that gets enlightment, don't forget that you can now bless items up to level 14 instead of 12.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 06:34 PM   #107
mlrichman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The invisibility spell makes the Serpent Temple much easier.
mlrichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:34 AM   #108
axel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks to someone very helpful on Usenet (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg) named Ross who figured this out, I have finally found a solution to the mysterious "crash to desktop" bug in Wizards and Warriors that kept many of us from even leaving the first town and playing the game! Everytime I clicked on the gate to go outdoors, the game would bomb to the desktop either before showing the outdoors, or allowing me outside but only moving a couple steps.
And no I never had to re-format, re-install Windows, or remove DirectX 8!! Also, it has nothing to do with virtual memory, video card drivers, other applications in memory, or DirectX.

Unbelievably, the solution was installing the latest Intel Indeo
video and audio codecs. You can get them at
"www.ligos.com/indeo/downloads/form.shtm". You don't need to get the
source code or demos, just the codecs.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I actually left town and could move
around outside without an immediate crash to the desktop!! The
serpent creature outside started talking to me about Gareth and I
almost started jumping for joy that the infernal game was finally
working!!

The game looks nice, but I'm not picky about graphics since I still enjoy playing DOS VGA games. It works for me in all resolutions, hardware or software, all detail levels. And at 1024x768 Hardware, my interface buttons look the same as in other modes, not ugly and unreadable. I do find nighttime very dark though and I don't enjoy turning up the gamma or the brightness on my monitor. Maybe I'll play with the lights off.

I believe that a previous game I installed had overwritten the Indeo
codecs with its own. How I wish for the simple days of debugging DOS
games where all you had to deal with was config.sys and autoexec.bat.
Who could have guessed it was Indeo? After so many hours of
troubleshooting (thank god I decided to not go through the hassle of
reformatting and installing Windows again), the problem is fixed.

For those of you with the desktop crash or any other crash bugs in W&W, I heartily recommend installing the latest Indeo codecs! BTW, I run Windows Me with DirectX 8.0a and a Voodoo5 5500 AGP card.

Not that I'll get around to playing the game anytime soon (couple years at least) because I have too many RPGs to work through first. I'm playing the old DOS RPG Star Trail at the moment, for which I just solved a side quest yesterday after several days of being baffled (the Gashok quest). But I'm so *ecstatic* that W&W finally runs on my computer!

Ritesh
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:27 AM   #109
jsalsb
Elminster

Crashes during Kerrah Cet confrontation:

On every playthrough, my game crashes during the confrontation between Cet and Kerrah in the pyramid. This seems to be memory related. My system has 128 megs of ram, but this seems to be insufficient.

Solution (without installing additional ram):

Before playing this stage of the game, ctrl-alt-del on your desktop; in task manager, "End Task" as many of the Windows tsr's as posible (things like sleepmngr, quickfind, instantaccess, etc. - do not end Explorer or Rundll!). This frees up enough ram for the game to continue.

One other tip: The more that's going on during the confrontation, the more memory is used. During Cet's and Kerrah's speech, back away and stay partially hidden behind a pillar, just peeping out to see the action. When Kerrah attacks, duck behind the pillar to avoid damage. This minimizes the amount of detail the game has to generate. After her attack, wade in and strike. If you have Haste cast, you should hit her enough times to spawn her plea for holy water before she attacks you again.

------------------
JonII

[This message has been edited by jsalsb (edited 08-13-2001).]
jsalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 12:01 PM   #110
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I didn't see this one yet.

When you level up, try to increase the skills to the bottom right of the skills window. The reason: once you get additional skills, those skills will slowly dissapear below the line. You didn't loose the skills but you lost the ability to increase them when you level up. You can, however, still increase them with training (if available).
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote