Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You know...this is funny! This woman got her dad's leg in the mail, and she thought she had received some frozen crabs! Now, she is suing the company although they had been ordered by a judge to do it!

Link

HOUSTON, Texas (Reuters) -- An Alaska woman, shocked to receive part of her dead father's leg in the mail instead of the gourmet "LobsterGram" she was expecting, has filed suit against the Houston, Texas, firm that sent it, alleging mental anguish.

LaMara Lane wants $1 million for breach of contract and the mental anguish that beset her after opening what she thought was a food gift delivered to her home in the Alaskan town of North Pole, according to the lawsuit filed in federal court.

But Identigene Inc., which does DNA testing, said it was only following orders from a North Dakota judge when it shipped the leg to Lane last year.

"We have a court order that says send it to this place and this woman," Identigene President Caroline Caskey told Reuters. "I feel like I'm in 'The Twilight Zone.' "

The odd saga began in 2000 when George Semmens died in North Dakota. He left his $200,000 estate to Lane, who was his only child, but whose mother he never married.

A sister of Semmens challenged whether Lane was his daughter, which resulted in a North Dakota judge ordering his body exhumed for DNA testing.

Identigene confirmed that Lane was his daughter.

Tony Buzbee, an attorney for Lane, a 41-year-old teacher's aide married to a hunter, said the leg arrived in a container designed to keep contents cold, which led Lane to believe she had been sent a LobsterGram, a popular gift in the frozen north.

Buzbee told the Houston Chronicle that Lane was so shocked "she's had to store the bone and flesh in her neighbor's freezer."
Old 01-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

omg... I would faint on site. That is very freaky
Old 01-29-2003, 05:04 PM   #3
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

That would be extremely disturbing

Can see the funny side from our position though [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Oh....my....god! Could they not at least have given her a call to warn of it? Talk about a shock! Gruesome is putting it mildly. Truth is stranger than fiction. What the hell would you do with it? She'll have to have it put back in the coffin I guess. A costly process that may require another court order.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
lucius
Dungeon Master

Thats funny but that would be really gross
Old 01-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #6
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Ok what court orders you to mail a leg? Honestly?
Old 01-29-2003, 08:36 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

eeeeeeeeeeeeew! I can't believe they didn't just re-bury it! Isn't that what happens after an exhumation is complete? Yikes....I'd sure have freaked out too if it were me!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:18 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

Weird laws over there.

But this time, I believe she deserves some compo, unlike most of Americas claims!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Well it might not be lobster, but who wants to eat an ocean roach anyway?? I say debone it, marinade it and chow down!!That way "dad" will always be a part of you.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:59 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

uhh..I would imagine I would freak out too if I unexpectanntly receive such package.