Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

This story is about a Nigerian woman who has been convicted of adultery and has been sentanced to be stoned.

The story starts with the Miss World pageant going to Nigeria, but tells the story of this woman.

Under Shariah law, a stict Islamic rule of law, this woman has been sentanced to be stoned, but they have delayed the implimentation of this sentance until the child finishing breast feeding. How nice.

It's insane that things like this still happen.

In the two years the country has been under Shariah law, she is the second woman sentanced to death for having a child outside of marriage. The other woman won her appeal, but this poor woman did not.

[ 10-04-2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-04-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yes, it is indeed insane. I believe that Miss France and several others are boycotting the pageant as a result.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:20 PM   #3
Lord Shield

cultural differences or not, that is barbaric and reprehensible

Old 10-04-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I think it's wrong how punishments like this still exsist. No matter where....
Old 10-04-2002, 04:23 PM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I already heard about this in a letter campaigning for capital punishment for paedophiles in my local newspaper.
I think capital punishemnt is wrong. I could go into a long thing about it but no, i won't bore you.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:35 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm for capital punishment(I won't go into it either), but this is ridiculous.

There is no punishment for the male. This is the same for of Islamic law that sentances women to death for being raped.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:37 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Yes, it is indeed insane. I believe that Miss France and several others are boycotting the pageant as a result.
The pageant is considering boycotting Nigeria, but this makes the extremists happy. They don't want the pageant of "nudity" in their country and all calling for it to be rejected outright.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:50 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Seems to me these societies recognize that improper conjugal relations between a man and a woman deteriorate the social structure. Fine, I buy that - I see it daily and we discuss "return to the past" things on this site all the time.

But, to recognize it as a wrong and then put ALL the onus of correcting that wrong - complete covering of the body, complete responsibility to keep men from ever desiring - on the females demonstrates an assumption that the males are unable to keep themselves from resisting sexual urges.

Now, it's no secret men, as a rule, behave more openly and aggressively sexually (at least in public). But, this flaw in the structure of the social responsibilities of puting such onus on the women shows to me the weakness of men in fundamentalist Islam countries. Hairy beardy mysoginistic ID-monsters if you ask me. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

Why didn't the protesting Ms. whatever candidates go there and then make their fuss. Don't they still get to talk during pageants?

[ 10-04-2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 10-04-2002, 05:01 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

Sadly this is just the tip of the perverbial iceberg when it comes to abuse of women in Fundamentalist Islamic countries. Not unlike Christianity, Islam started out with women as leaders in the early days... only to have men firmly take the mantle of authority and push women out, sadly with Islam it went even further to a marginalization of women, turning them into property essentially. I know that most Muslims do NOT ascribe to this, but in Africa and the Middle East women are abused and mutilated by their paranoid husbands, and it's perfectly legal.

I don't have anything against religion, but I do have something against how religion is used as a justification for fanaticism and abuse in so many places. It makes me wonder if we would all be better off without religon at all... as John Lennin suggested.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:07 PM   #10
Lord Shield

don't assume religion to be bad just because of extremists - in many cases it provides a good ethical upbringing for children

but yes, the fact these punishments do not apply to the men as well is ridiculous. they have nothing to lose by seducing someone else's wife bu tthe wife does - ridiculous!