Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #21
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

The way I see it a parent has the right to punish a child but not abuse like that. The woman is also too uninteligent to be making her own statements on her behalf. She's just making herself appear more unintelligent to the world. I also don't think this stuff is news-worthy on such a large scale...
Old 09-24-2002, 04:58 PM   #22
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
And Azred, I don't entirely agree with you. I think corporal punishment has its place. Children are not logical at all times, and an open discourse can only go so far. And, punishment of some nature must be given for wrong acts. At certain ages, I don't think children comprehend the future "no TV for a week" ramifications of acts as well as the immediate "Ow that hurt." At other ages and stages, I think other forms of punishment work better - so long as the parent has the willpower to see them through.
Oh, yes, corporal punishment has its place. Used sparingly when out in public to focus the child's attention works great, depending upon their age. My father's preferred method was a quick thump.

TJ is now 7 years old, and Belle and I rely more on snapping our fingers and telling him to "quiet down" or "behave". This works well almost all the time (he's not perfect and neither are we).
We are in favor of letting children be children; a certain amount of over-enthusiastic activity is to be expected. We have seen other families who use a really "laissez faire" attitude (end result: the kids dominate the parents,
including one little girl who used profanity at her parents [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] ) and we have seen families where the children are afraid of their parents. Neither situation is healthy.
Most of the time when parents are using very heavy-handed punishments the reason is because the child was acting unruly. Extreme unruly behavior, acting out, is a sign of instability in the household: the parents fight often, the parents don't care about the children, or some other abuse is happening/has happened.

*whew* I seem to have worn out that soap box. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:01 PM   #23
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
I see everyone here is against this woman for smacking her kid. I have a question for everyone , how do we know the kid didnt earn a smack? One of the articles I read said that the woman in the video was trying to return somethings to the store and they wouldnt take them back. Maybe while she was talking to whom ever to return the stuff her kid was terrorizeing the store.We have all seen kids that run amuck in public because they know their parents cant punish them in public. Maybe her kid was one of thoes kids and when she got her kid back to the car the kid got a whuppin. There ia a big diffrence between a whuppin and abuse. Abuse is burning kids with cigaretts , briuseing them and breaking their bones. A whuppin will be forgotten in an hour and there arent any marks because it might be excessive , but it isnt abuse.
There is a big difference between a "whipping" and abuse. This tape is clear evidence of abuse. It doesn't matter what the child did. If this girl peed on the store managers shoes, punched his groin, and bite his leg that wouldn't justify what this tape shows. Nothing could justify this.

There is quite a bit more to child abuse than burning, bruising, and broken bones.

A controlled paddling of the bottom, or swatting of the hand is one thing, but an angry parent physically "venting" on their kid is abuse.

[ 09-24-2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #24
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I more or less agree with whats been said on the thread... but has anyone considered what the child wants? I mean, I'm not SURPORTING the mother, but might it not be better to send her to rebah or something... and does she have a history of beating her kids like that? I mean taking a child away for life or whatever seems a little extreme to me... but then... I dont know. what do the rest of u think?
Old 09-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #25
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by realbinky:
How any of you are parents? If there is a HISTORY of abuse, there is an issue. Answer me this: is it better to let your kid be an out-of-control terror, in which case they could certainly end up hurt or dead by themselves; or control the kid with a good thrashing so that they fear it enough to not misbehave and not get in trouble and never get it again? She may have warned the kid a number of times. I have 2 children, and I believe in corporal punishment. Spanking and swatting is used in my house. This is not because I dislike my children, I love them very much. I think they will be better children for the discipline they get. And lately, neither of them misbehave a lot, and are always under control, but it only takes a few quiet words in most cases. I can go to any store, restaurant or park, and my kids are well behaved. I get comments on it. I have wigged out a couple times, when my youngest, 2, tried to stick something in an oultet, and another time when he played with the power sitch on power strip. He got some serious spanking, and a couple cheek smacks, as it was seriously dangerous. I'll tell you this, though- he will think twice about playing with outlets and such and I breathe easier knowing this. Should I coddle him, but wonder when he will next do this? No I make it so onerous that he doesn't want to do it again.

Did you know in 10+ states, it is still legal for SCHOOLs to use a paddle on your kids for punishment? I wish they would use it on a few kids.

Sorry for the lenghth. But I think she should get off, but with probation or something. She states actual regret, and I believe her. She took it too far, but sometimes, we have to protect kids from themselves.
WHAT? You think she should get off? Did you even look at that footage? Before she beat the child, she looked around first to make sure no one was watching! You youngest son two, got "some serious spankings and a couple of cheek smacks" because he tried to stick something in an outlet! Have you ever heard of outlet protectors? He's 2 years old!
Perhaps if parents were more responsible in rasing their children they wouldn't need to beat them for discipline.
I am a single father of a 10 year old girl and would never raise a finger to her. I don't need to.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:07 PM   #26
Azred
Drow Priestess

Calaethis, the folks from Child Protective Services can, if they so choose, take away a child on even the first instance of abuse. Abuse, to the folks at CPS, includes such actions as sending a child to bed without dinner for even only one night. They take anything that could even hint at endangering a child as a serious threat. They can even go so far as to involuntarily terminate parental rights, meaning that she could lose custody of her daughter permanently.

I don't recall the exact charge the prosecutor is pursuing, but I have no doubt that it is a felony offense. The judge entered a "not guilty" plea for Ms. Toogood (there is no way that is her real name [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] ); most likely her defense attorney will try to plea bargain for a lesser charge. She needs to do some hard time.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:23 PM   #27
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

That wasn't the first time she hit her little girl and thats for sure. These cycles must be broken within the family circle at the earliest stages of any signs of rough-house like yanking of arms and shaking, bruises, etc.. If I would have saw an action like that I would have done the following;

1.Call Police
2.Try to get tag #
3.Get description of circumstances
4.Call upon the fury of power to help the child.!
5.Hope that I wouldn't hurt somebody trying to stop them in a violent case like this.

Old 09-27-2002, 02:45 PM   #28
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Gee, sounds like this kid's growing up in a wonderful family:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,64194,00.html

"...Johnny Toogood [husband & father] was charged in Philadelphia in 1998 with several counts, including burglary, criminal trespass, theft and conspiracy, in relation to a home-repair roofing scam that targeted four elderly victims.

"I'm down on my luck and I just needed money for my family," said Toogood during his confession, according to court documents obtained by Fox News. 'It's not right that a lot of people make a lot more money. All the men in my family do this. This isn't a violent crime.'

The prosecutor in the Philadelphia case said Toogood basically admitted that these 'scams' were how he made money and were a way of life among his relatives."

If that represents the values these parents teach their children, putting the kid in a foster home is the best thing that could happen to her.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 09-27-2002, 04:57 PM   #29
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

What the heck are the Irish Travellers, anyway? Sounds like the kinds of things that the Gypsies used to get accused of.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:03 PM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
I don't recall the exact charge the prosecutor is pursuing, but I have no doubt that it is a felony offense. The judge entered a "not guilty" plea for Ms. Toogood (there is no way that is her real name [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] ); most likely her defense attorney will try to plea bargain for a lesser charge. She needs to do some hard time.
IIRC, the charges is Felony child abuse. I think aggravated battery might be in the mix as well - it's also a felony.

Felony, by definition, carries a minimum 1 year sentence in most states.