Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Hey all, [img]graemlins/knightsmile.gif[/img]

After finally overcoming the torrent of setbacks issued forth by a malevolently scheming Lord Cet (see in the thread about the crashes) I've finally conquered most obstacles set forth by the game and finished it in a hazy long effort early this morning. [img]graemlins/goodmorning.gif[/img]

The final showdown with Cet took me a reload in order to win because of my silly misguided attempt to blat him when he was in the middle of offering power and glory to the party, the first time around. He pours forth his firestorms of derision if you try to hit him then, which caught me slightly off guard!

When I reloaded, I gave the power staff to my Barbarian to complement my Mavin wielding Samurai, then cast haste, bloodlust, bless, merlin's shield and jumped headlong into battle. Interesting that only my top two fighters could hit Cet at all, but as both had Giantstrike, and with two quality healers in the party, it was a matter of minutes before Cet's foul existence was ceased again...
I actually had alot more trouble killing Oakenmir to be honest! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So it turns out Bsftcs' boogre bar predictions of my choice to betray Cet's path were accurate. Its a quasi-game redemption of sorts. I was a raving self-righteous fanatic, posessed by the Mavin by the end of it all!

I quite liked the end cinematic as well, a very neat touch with the home-fire feeling, the storybook and allusions to the great 'Mono-myth', the cycle of all hero-mythic stories which so many Rpg's derive their energy and ideas from. I was left feeling content with the world of Gael Serran and have quite enjoyed my little journies within it!

If I were to play it again, I'd most certainly try to do it without any role ascensions at all - has this been done I wonder? Either that, or perhaps I'd try a smaller party, or even a solo character as Bungleau and many others have done to increase the difficulty. I found that by Brimloch Roon, my party was ultra potent in their abilities and that I almost feared nothing in the game, quite a contrast to those early apprehensive roamings around the Crypt...but such is the nature of growth of characters in RPGs I guess.

For the sake of completion and for a record of posterity as a humble thank you to this great forum, here are the details of my party members who triumphed!

Vastlaar, Dwarven Samurai. Party Leader and Mavin wielder.
11th Level Warrior, 25th Level Samurai. *bows and pulls at beard, looking around sceptically*

Bavvok, Gourke Barbarian. Chaser of Sharks and wielder of the Power staff. 10th Level Warrior, 26th Level Barbarian. *Grunts, chews on a Leprechaunian ear, then nods*

Slithe, Ratling Rogue. Deadly Nightblade chirping chest choker.
23rd Level Rogue, 15th Level Ninja. *sniffs the air shiftily and narrows his eyes, cursing his mouse mentor for not letting him learn Kung Fu*

Sapling, Pixie Monk. My little pocket powerhouse. 22nd Level Priest, 16th Level Monk. Was initially a field nurse with Divina, but became a great help to the fighters after her ascension and made a real artform out of Ki strikes and a little tickle under the nose. *waves minutely*

Divina, Human 26th Level Priest. My only unascended character who expressed an exceedingly pious devotion to her path. Her pristine, unreachable nurturing caresses, won the heart of Vastlaar, but was refused
upon he pinnacle of Cet's Pryamid. She often became the party's saving grace with her neverending array in realms of healing. *Stoically smiles*.

Vigamortis, Elven Warlock. Necromantic philosopher and epistemological craver of all forms of cosmic showers. 21st Level Wizard, 18th Level Warlock. *Casts Ice storm, Meteor shower and Fire storm all at once as a kind of firework celebration before vanishing*.

A round at the boogre bar is on me, I think.
Thanks for all of the tips and hints on demand, I very much doubt there is a problem you all can't handle.

For my next adventure, its either to Might & Magic IX or I might even go back to Baldur's Gate and try doing some of the evil NPC quests with the expansion installed....hmmm, many possibilities! Take care!

Noble Regards,
Cerebrodragon
++--UDIC--++
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yeeee-ha! Cet bites the dust yet again! I'm glad to hear that you made it through, and I've got news for you -- just about any party is a powerhouse come Brimloch Roon. I'm still thinking the most challenging one will be a solo rogue, or perhaps a rogue with five dead companions.

Another run through W&W is certainly a good option, and you should enjoy MM9 as well. Make sure to get KingKongCobra's unofficial patch, though -- it corrects a couple of scripting errors that can be might frustrating. It's not mandatory, but highly suggested.

Now, over to the Boogre Bar for a congratulatory round for Vastlaar, Bavvok, Slithe, Sapling, Divina, and Vigamortis... [img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Congrats, CerebroDragon!!!

Cet is gone again!!! We never tire of reading that!

He is a bit of a let down after some of the other more difficult NPCs (if you decide to off them). I found the first set of Mantraps to be more of a challenge but that has a lot to do with where they appear in the game and how developed my characters were at the time.

There are so many variations that can be done to make replaying the game challenging and fun! We should probably put together a list of all the variations folks have tried, including the FAST games too!

Hope you will replay and/or stick around the board!!

Wyv
Old 11-25-2003, 08:41 PM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

As stated in a previous topic:

Congratulations! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

To the Boogre Bar we go. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and CerebroDragon: Why not hang around with us for another game in the hunt for the missing traits?