Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Are any of these any good?

Please give me some info about the various games, I'm considering buying a different system and giving a game a try.

TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

These are not rpgs but action adventure games. I liked them personally, but don't buy them expecting BG.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Your talking about the BGark Alliance games right?

Well, personally I don't like them. They are action RPG's so you are constantly hammering the attack button and blocking. I played one for about 3 hours into the game. It was fun for a while but got VERY tedious. The story up to the point I'd played was nothing to right home about either. They are not great when compared to say BG2:SOA.

If your looking to buy a console for RPG's, I'd go with a PS2 if you don't already have one, as it has many good RPG's if you happen to like Japanese games.

Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best games I have ever played (it's a bit like a Final Fantasy game). Also the Shin Megami Tensei Series are quite good and games like Disgaea and the other Nippon Ichi SRPG's are excellent.

And also the forthcoming Rogue Galaxy looks great!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

I've played through the first Champions of Norrath game, which sort of uses the same engine as those BG games. Was kinda fun. I played multiplayer with a friend all the time tho; dunno if I'd find it as fun singleplayer (and, not sure, but I don't believe the first of the BG ones have multiplayer).

So, there.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The console BG games are not rpgs, they are action hack and slash games, so of course they are bad as an rpg, they are also bad as racing games and make poor shooters. It doesn't make any more sense calling them rpg games than it does calling Metal Gear an rpg.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, think Golden Axe, the old sega game.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
My review/thoughts on the Dark Alliance Games can be found in this ol' topic from when I played them:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...=001295#000000

They don't really deserve the Baldurs Gate moniker if you ask me, but they're fine for multiplayer action nonetheless.

EDIT:
Uhh, sorry Luvian, but last time I checked the name "Baldurs Gate" just happened to be titles of two of the most successful and widely acclaimed cRPGS of all time. Thus it seems a little futile to attempt to reduce the meaning or association of the name to 'just a town'. Sure, this is just my own subjective opinion to value the two words in such a way. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the Dark Alliance games fell well short of the benchmark of the PC games and so too, the name Baldurs Gate by association alone.

[ 09-14-2006, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

"Baldur's Gate" is just the name of a town in the Forgotten Realms. I don't see how you can not deserve the name of a town.

[ 09-13-2006, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
SideShowRage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ive played both sets, and personally for someone just wanting to take out some aggresstion, the BGark Alliance Games do the trick....Dont get me wrong, I love the PC games, but the consoles take less time to set up and give you something fun to destroy almost immediately..
Old 09-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
My review/thoughts on the Dark Alliance Games can be found in this ol' topic from when I played them:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...=001295#000000

They don't really deserve the Baldurs Gate moniker if you ask me, but they're fine for multiplayer action nonetheless.

EDIT:
Uhh, sorry Luvian, but last time I checked the name "Baldurs Gate" just happened to be titles of two of the most successful and widely acclaimed cRPGS of all time. Thus it seems a little futile to attempt to reduce the meaning or association of the name to 'just a town'. Sure, this is just my own subjective opinion to value the two words in such a way. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the Dark Alliance games fell well short of the benchmark of the PC games and so too, the name Baldurs Gate by association alone.
Aye, the name means alot more now. And since the game isn't just based in one town it encompasses the whole feel of this series. "Sword Coast" doesn't have the same ring to it, nor does just "Forgotten Realms". I am secretly hoping Bioware are developing "Baldurs Gate Online" as another bash at the DDO MMO thing. Come to think of it DDO should have been called "Stormreach Online"...