Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2001, 02:26 AM   #1
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Does anyone else have an obsession with creating characters? It happened to me in previous Wizardry's and W&W. I love making characters. I can't stop. Sometimes I spend hours creating characters. I imagine that with Wiz 8 I'm going to be spending way too much time creating characters since I've never used any of the new races or classes (Dracon, Valkyrie, Lizard Man, Monk, Psionic) because I never played Wiz 6 or 7 or Gold. Who else has this problem? Anybody?..... Am I alone?..... Okay, I'm as weird as I thought I was...

-Jafin

------------------

I may look like an old man now, but just you wait until I take off my fake beard and wig and show you Tiltowait!
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 04:21 AM   #2
Traute
The Magister

Jafin,
I'm a char generation nut, too. For example, I'm just finishing a game of WizGold with a party I ported in from Wizardry 6 more than two years ago. I remember spending more than three days generating those 6 chars, in order to get a bonus of 23+ for all of them, so that their first three class changes were already guaranteed. They're five female Felpurrs (Whiskah in W&W) and one Faerie, also a female. They rock, but every time I start the game I'm tempted to start char generation all over again.
I don't exactly reject games which won't let you generate your own chars - BaK comes to mind; some of them are great games. But I consider it a serious drawback having to play with ready-made characters.

Traute
Traute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 03:57 AM   #3
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Sometimes I can can a bit obsessed with trying to get that "super" character.
You are not alone in that
But I've also found out that starting with characters from your first roll, can be satisfying too.
I did that in W&W (eventhough I didn't finish that game, but for other reasons) and I enjoyed seeing my "temp party" grow in power and develop new skills.
I can, however, can get nitpicky with names.
The name has to have a good ring to it for that particular character.
For instance, in W&W my ratling rogue was named Sixpaws.
Paws because a ratling is an animal creature (a rat...duh) and I imagined he was born with 6 paws (fingers) in each hand making him an excellent thief and earning the name Sixpaws.

That way I will get involved more in my characters and can have more feelings for them.
So you see, you're not the only weirdo

Snoekie
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 06:45 PM   #4
Throg
Dungeon Master

Me too! Me too! (Obsessed, I mean) (*jumping up and down and waving arms wildly*) I just posted my new team under "So sad ... so sad ..."

====
Throg
====
Throg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 02:52 PM   #5
Balgin
Elminster

It is said (by most members of my local role playing group) that a GM's favourite pastime is making up characters. They're not wrong, admitedly most of them get used as NPC's and this saves time if I can pull out one of my old, unplayed, characters as an instant NPC (slap on some more equipment and maybe alter a few skills and I can generally get away with it). The thing is that, unlike some of you, I am not obsessed with making characters who have high ability scores, I just like making characters.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 07:50 PM   #6
Shadazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have the same addiction too! But I must admit that the Wizardry series made it worse cause it has so many stats and skills to play with that I almost foam at the mouth yapping about it!

There's something special about creating your own characters in any RPG and I always get attached to them unlike using premade characters. Names is another story all together, I can spend days thinking about what names to use, and for a pary of six!.....!!

Gosh I just can't bare the wait! Thank goodness for W&W to widdle the time away! W&W is almost like W8 Lite. My only major concern is that if Sir-tech waits too long, the graphics/game engine and interface will start to become too dated for casual players to consider playing which can hurt them financially. I do want to look foreward to a Wizardry 20!

But its good to know I'm not alone in this addiction!

And great topic by the way!

Shadazar is offline   Reply With Quote