Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
waltz1982
Welcomed New User

I’m sure everyone has seen the signs for “$5 Psychic Readings” in their town or while traveling elsewhere. What I wanted to discuss here were your thoughts on using psychics for more than just personal entertainment, more specifically in police and detective work.

There’s been documented cases in the past where police haven’t been able to solve a crime, at which point they turn to a psychic for help.
What I find the most interesting is when the psychics they hire actually solve the case.

What are your thoughts on this? What about using psychics to help solve some of the current investigations (such as the Peterson or Hacking
trials?)

I’m not an expert myself on the topic, but I’ve been learning a bit more from a new show on Court TV called Psychic Detectives. It’s on Wednesday’s at 9:30pm in case you want to watch it too.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:15 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Most psychics are con artists, but i do believe there are some "gifted" people outthere. Or "cursed" if you will. If you can look into the future, you'll also know the day of your own death.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:14 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

ive met two psychic (one an aquaintance while the other is a those pay carnival types). both predicted the present situations i am having. as for the future, well.. it hasnt happened yet thats for sure [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'll make a little prediction of my own here.... if i ever catch the fortune teller that told me i would inherit a couple of million Dollars from an American aunt before i'd reach the age of 28, there's gonna be bruises and screaming.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Bah I dont buy into their "talents" at all, I think its just another way of seperating a fool from his money.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:02 AM   #6
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

A lot of them are fraudsters and charlatans, spouting universal truths, blatent untruths, bluffing with the information you've given them, or simply hoping for the best based on their gut reaction of you, but there are some genuine fortune-tellers out there. The bonafide ones are expensive and hard to reach, while the thieves and liars are only five bucks and a local fairground away. I'd love to go see a proper one someday. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

I don't think there are any.
The fact that you've heard of "psychics" solving a case or making a good prediction is more the result of coincidences and luck than anything substantial - for every "good" prediction, there are many predictions by the very same person that were dead wrong, though which we won't ever hear about.
There are known cases however in which criminal investigations only took a turn for the worse because the police put too much trust in the word of psychics - having them chase cold trails and waste time, while the real perpetrator simply continued on his killing sprees for a while longer. I'd say they do more harm than good, leeching on gullible souls looking for some strain of hope, only to be severly disappointed in the longer run; and any person claiming to see into the future is in my opinion either a fraud out to make a quick buck or just plain nuts.

And if you want to see some different views on the subject other than some tv show that could manipulate facts in such a way that psychics had anything to do with the respective happy endings, try to catch the Penn & Teller: Bullshit! episode on psychics and Nostradamus.

[ 09-30-2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 09-30-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Isn't that ironic that the so called psychics or fortune teller out there will always tell you the things that you want to hear? Like " You are gonna be rich, or you are gonna meet this guy/gal etc etc." What can't they tell you " You are gonna die by accident tommorow, or You are gonna be fired from job in 2 months times etc "
Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting coincidence. Same nick, same post, on two different forums. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?t=68929

I knew I had seen this thread title somewhere before on Ironworks.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, if I could see the future, I'd get rich by lottery, not tell some poor idiot his fate for $5. Therefore all psychics that you see are either
a) fakes trying to take your money,
b) complete morons not wanting the money or
c) on a mission from God who has told them to not get rich.
I'd say most are type a).