Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2001, 07:08 PM   #1
Jediphx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well I guess I will start fresh. first off my main character I thought a fighter/mage would be cool but from what i have seen dual-classing is a B@@ch
Would a plain fighter be better? I was thinking of this party alignment and please give suggestions

Me
aerie
jaheria
minsc
Viconia
??????

also after i have started what quests should i do? If my guy is a fighter of any kind maybe i should pick nadia up and get the keep however after i dump her i guess I would lose it Hehe. what quests should i do before I pledge allegiance to the shadow thieves and put the "VAMPIRES STRIKE HERE" sign on my butt? I apologize for so many questions but I always feel like i have not made the right choices hehe

------------------
***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
Old 06-23-2001, 07:28 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Just a pointer. I'd found out it is a lot better to start a character from BG1 and import them to BG2. That way, you can get those tomes that improves your stats. I just finished a game with a Paladin, and now am working with a Ranger. Others I plan to play in BG1 are a Bard, Thief, Druid, and Mage. I don't like playing as Clerics.. Also, it gives your character more experience. I'm not sure if they reduce the levels down to 5 when you import them to BG2, but I'm sure they don't. Just try a game with one character in BG1, and then import them to BG2, and see how much you'll like them more than a character made directly in BG2.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:29 PM   #3
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Well offhand you need more mage support, think Edwin or keep painfull as it may seem Nalia until Imoen comes back(you dont lose your stronghold if you dont keep her), or be a mage yourself I reccomend this simply because I love magic users. Always choose a kit it makes things a lot more interesting as a fighter try a kensai or as a ranger try a stalker or archer. I wouldnt worry too much about the vamps they dont attack mush and the head of the shadowthiefves when you give him the money gives you an item that makes you immune to level drain.

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 07:35 PM   #4
Floraowe
The Magister

Well, you have no thief, so the last slot will have to be filled by either Yoshimo or Jan. I'd say Jan, since you only have Aerie as a mage. Also, you're kind of top-heavy on clerics, and since Viconia is evil, I'd suggest trading her in for either Valygar or Nalia (if Nalia, get Yoshi instead of Jan, he's the better thief).
Old 06-23-2001, 08:05 PM   #5
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Try a multi-classed (not dual) fighter thief as your character. That way you are involved in a lot of game aspects. You lead the group, scout ahead, detect and lay traps and can instigate battles via your backstab option using your magic users to back you up. You are more personally involved in your thieving exploits when in towns, pickpocketing and stealing from shops etc. You also get some good special abilities including some spells alongside your trap laying skills. Give your man high strength, dexterity and constitution so that he doesn't have to run from battle to save his thieving hide. Before too long he will backstab them and then go toe to toe with the best enemies there are. If you start from scratch then assign a good proportion of your skills to detect traps as Irenicus' dungeon can be a pig if you are poor in this department. Worry about pickpocketing skills later on as all the people will still be around to steal from throughout the game so there's no big rush on that side of things. As a multi class character you will level up slower but if you stick with it you will develop an awesome character that you are always interracting with in one way or another. If you go with this type of char' then you still have an empty slot for a magic user, Nalia is an excellent mage. If you like the idea of a fighter combo then try one, you won't want to play much else afterwards.

EDIT: PS. You can also own two different strongholds with this character type, dunno if it's a bug but who cares.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.

[This message has been edited by Cavern Sniffer (edited 06-23-2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

WOW! All the romance ones are there - this is going to be one hell of a relationship.

Oh yeah - the thief bit is important. If you can stand Nalia's stupid whining then she's got 80% find traps - which is handy. Otherwise go Yoshimo or Jan.

I think 3 healers is a bit of a overdo, but if your cautious then that's your preference.

------------------