Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-22-2003, 09:22 AM   #1
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

A star that is. I found this article about the "name your own star" business, and found it interesting. I always wondered how "official" it was.

Your Star..

[ 11-22-2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 11-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Yes, indeed, I have. I named Norbet, after my favorite beaver! "Official"? Well I picked the brightest one I saw and named it "Norbet," though my friends insist I call it "moon." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Later!

(BTW, before anyone says something, I do know the moon is not a star! [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 11-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
LordKathen

Precisely! Acording the this article, your way of naming the star is just "official"
Point and say: "Uuuuuhhhhh......... THAT ONE!, shall be named..."
Old 11-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My astronomy teacher was very vigilant on telling us not to waste money on naming a star, because it's not offical. They're not going to insert the info into some worldwide data base on the stars names so astronomers can point at a star and say "ok, notice the relation ship between Bob and Alpha Centari, which by the way has been renamed Joe."
Not going to happen [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Besides, some of those stars might already been taken by advanced alien civilizations... I am sure they would have named it already.

Moreover, most of the stars are hundreds and thousands of lightyears away, it is not likely that you will be able to travel there to stake your claim. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Arrow

umm, LK, I think your sig might be just a tad to big [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] it causes my screen to run over
Old 11-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
Moreover, most of the stars are hundreds and thousands of lightyears away, it is not likely that you will be able to travel there to stake your claim. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
I resent that, are you saying aliens won't need a gas station in space? Lord K can use his taxi and I can run the gas station. Think of how much money you can make filling up ships that need to make the next hyperjump to lightspeed
Old 11-23-2003, 03:08 AM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

... and jump drives are fueled by what? Gasolene? Liquid hydrogen? Particle #637? or Formula-XYZ-Dimension-jump-fuel-thingy?

Good luck on your gas station. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 08:33 AM   #9
LordKathen

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
I resent that, are you saying aliens won't need a gas station in space? Lord K can use his taxi and I can run the gas station. Think of how much money you can make filling up ships that need to make the next hyperjump to lightspeed [/QUOTE]Will cab drivers get free coffee? [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]