Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 01:49 PM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I put proficiencies in Flail for Minsc and had him dual-wield the Flail of Ages and some other flail you buy in the Copper Coronet which causes opponents to become unconcious.

It's a cheesy combo, slow them down with the FoA, then whack them with the Sleeper.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:53 PM   #12
Azred
Drow Priestess

The Equalizer--it's only +3; for a "legendary" sword I would think it'd be +5.

Carsomyr--only paladins can use it, Keldorn's innate dispel magic is better, and the extra damage is against chaotic evil beings only.

Wave--how many water elementals have you killed in BG2?

Silver Blade--it is only +3 and the 25% chance to kill outright isn't that great. This is watered down version of the Black Blade of Disaster.

Gesen's Bow--true, it is +4, but it's so slow. Tansheron's Bow is better.

Staff of the Magi--it is +5, but so are Melf's Meteors. Prot. vs evil and invisibility when equipped? I can do those with other items. It can cast Spell Trap once per day. So can I, after level 18, or when I use a scroll (available at any level) or the Rod of Absorption.

IMNSHO, only Celestial Fury, the Flail of Ages, and Crom Faeyr truly live up to their reputations. Oh, and the Sling of Everard.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?

[This message has been edited by Azred (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 02:04 PM   #13
Northraven
Manshoon

The silver Sword is very over-rated, as is Crom Faeyr. You do a tremendous amount of running around to get all the parts for this hammer and then all you get is a relativley low-damage weapon which imparts 25 strength and kills Ettinns, trolls, and clay Golems with one hit?? Granted the 25 strength is a nice perk but as for the instant kill abilities...does anyone even HAVE problems killing Ettins, Trolls, and Clay Golems the old-fashioned way by the time you get Faeyr?

------------------
"I am death come for thee. Surrender and thy passage shall be...swifter"

"Kneel before the cow god!"
Old 07-18-2001, 03:47 PM   #14
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I like flail of ages because it gets through the stoneskin. While my mage is casting breach, I sometimes get a hit or two in and interrupt a spell or two. So, don't brush it off simply because you haven't found a use for it.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:46 PM   #15
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:

Wave--how many water elementals have you killed in BG2?
Actually, the Wave halberd destroys *fire* elementals, salamanders, and something else upon successful hit (no save). It was a weapon created by the Goddess Umberlee for the use of her champion. Umberlee is a goddess of the sea...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 07-18-2001, 04:54 PM   #16
Dramnek_Ulk

i think its arbanes short sword and the bracers of blinding strike. i mean 2 rounds haste? not worth it IMHO. also skull crusher+3 i mean all it does is +3 damge vs humonoiods, the mace of disruption is much better esp. once its coatedin illitium giveing you level drain protection.

------------------
It was then that Toril knew the return of Lord Bane

Old 07-18-2001, 05:01 PM   #17
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I would suggest that it depends on how you play the game, who's in your party etc...

For instance your tactics might not suite a particular weapon so it is not used to it's full potential.

Only a thought though.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:06 PM   #18
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Actually, the Wave halberd destroys *fire* elementals....

at myself. whoopsie! That will count as my one mistake for the day.

just out of curiosity, why aren't there any water elementals in BG2?

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 07-18-2001, 05:10 PM   #19
deathknight
Drow Warrior

IMHO whoever listed staff of the magi and 3 or 4 reasons why its overrated just think about that. I can see saying yeah this 1 thing I can do with this spell or this other thing I can do with another spell. But common thats a whole list of things. I mean I can do just as much damage with a butter knife as I could do with the crom faeyr if you give me enough attacks and enough buff spells and such. The staff has some real good uses, especially in the hands of a multiclassed thief. Being able to backstab and go invis over and over in plain view is nice...
Old 07-18-2001, 05:48 PM   #20
Northraven
Manshoon

Amd let's not forget that the staff of the Magi lets you cast spelltrap...probably the best spell protection a mage can have in BGII...

------------------
"I am death come for thee. Surrender and thy passage shall be...swifter"

"Kneel before the cow god!"