Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-08-2000, 10:35 PM   #11
Armisael

You're all thinking in low-level terms. This game allows up to level eight spells, so use them. Abi-Dalzim's horrid wilting. Clears out a room in one shot, and you don't even have to worry about hurting your own comrades. Save a tough enemy for later with maze. Fireball? Cloudkill? Use a cleric's firestorm instead. Put a whole group of foes to sleep with an emotion spell. You're thinking one dimensionally - 'How can my spellcaster hurt things more than my fighter?' Perhaps they can't, but with the death spell they can kill off an entire army of summoned monsters a hell of a lot faster than your fighter ever could.

Old 12-13-2000, 10:15 PM   #12
Saithana

You fool! You never tried to use Magic Missile to stop the other spellcasters in the first place!

Every battle, I use:
Chant (every + helps!)
Resist Fear (stops characters' morale failing when they are badly injured)
Haste (maybe, I don't like resting so much)
Armour of Faith (on 3 characters)
Minor Globe (on the other 3 characters

Cheers
Craig

Old 12-14-2000, 01:32 AM   #13
Armisael

Fool? Look who's talking. What the hell do you think NPC mages do as soon as a battle starts? They put up half a dozen magic shields. Christ...

Old 12-14-2000, 04:57 AM   #14
UserUnFriendly

situation report.....5 yuan-ti with 3 mages in room ahead. its got only one door.

solution, send in mage invisible, using invisibility ring, cast a web, then cast 2 cloud kills. rush out. mages are lightly hurt, but the rest of the party, lined up firing squad style, shoots enough missiles to keep them from spellcasting effectively. meanwhile your mage is still busy casting magic missiles and other sundry nastyness. after mages die, 2 more crawl out of the room, almost dead. everyone switches to melee weapons, and make yuan-ti-puree....

also, 2 spells...

animate dead and spiderspawn

skeletons make excellent skirmishers, so the rest of your party sit back and peppers the monsters while the skeletons mix it up with them.

spiders are almost as usefull, they don't last as long, but those buggers are on perminent haste and are cuisinarts on "high blend"

rather disgusting, infact. looks real.

Old 12-14-2000, 02:55 PM   #15
Saithana

>They put up half a dozen magic shields.

Yeah, I know. Until I learned about the spell triggers I thought the game was cheating.

"How do they get off five spells in the time it takes me to cast Magic Missile?"

In that case, out come the Breach, Spell Thrust, Secret Word, True Seeing, etc.

Cheers
Craig

Old 12-14-2000, 03:27 PM   #16
Shank

To User Unfriendly:

yeah...Web and cloudkill is a nice cocktail...but umm, you say that you summon skeletons?? well if u send 'em into the cloudkill they gonna turn against you right? Here's a better one for ya, firstly, summon something like a...Fire Elemental with yer druid. Then cast free movement on him. Web the room with the mages and send in your free moving elemental(s) in to prance around wreaking destruction. Or else just walk in and get medevil on their ass with some Evocation!!

Old 12-15-2000, 12:13 AM   #17
Armisael

Actually, they do cheat. That's not a spell trigger, it's something built into their AI script. Those bastards. Also, sorry 'bout my outburst, I was drunk.