Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: US trip (next July)

If you have time to swing by Boston I might be around - there are a few of us here (Chewbacca and Machinehead). Yorick is in NYC, I'm sure he would love to say g'day to you. I'm not sure if I'll be in Boston July next year (I may actually be in London), but the other guys are here. I think Bungleau is in Michigan though he travels here a lot - maybe he can swing by if you give him enough notice.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yep... depending where you're at, I may be able to swing by. Speaking of which, I'll be in Boston (briefly) in early February... may not have time to meet up yet, but I'll keep people posted.

Do remember that the distance scale here is quite large... from the east coast to the west is in the neighborhood of 2000 miles, or a multi-day driving trip. You don't want to waste your time traveling...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #13
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
If you have time to swing by Boston I might be around - there are a few of us here (Chewbacca and Machinehead). Yorick is in NYC, I'm sure he would love to say g'day to you. I'm not sure if I'll be in Boston July next year (I may actually be in London), but the other guys are here. I think Bungleau is in Michigan though he travels here a lot - maybe he can swing by if you give him enough notice.
Depends on when in July, I'll be in Virginia the week of the 4th. The week after that I'll be home on the 2nd week of my vacation.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
Thoran
Galvatron

There's an online mapping utility that you could use to plan your route and let board members put pins in their home locations so you can see where you're likely to find places to crash.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
I'm in Northern Virginia (Alexandria). It's east, but not on the coast.
I thought Alexandria was in Egypt?? damn dont you yanks make up any of your own place names?

hajrá dplax hódítsd meg az amcsikat
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray

Last edited by Vaskez; 12-18-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
dplax
Jack Burton

Tentative itinerary looks something like this:

28 (or 29) june - 3 july new york, boston philadelphia
4-5 july maryland
6-11 july north carolina, atlanta, florida, texas
12-13 july Chicago
14-15 las vegas
16-21 san diego, los angeles, san francisco (berkeley, sacramento)
22-25 seattle, vancouver

???salt lake city
???denver
???southeastern canada
???hiking somewhere

5th and 12th of July can't be moved, the rest can be juggled around. Those with ??? I'm not sure I want to do or not, but can be pushed in somewhere in the schedule if I decide so. Opinions, people who can/want to meet somewhere along the way?

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
Thoran
Galvatron

If you drive where possible and fly where you can't drive...

-NY, Boston, Philly is manageable in 4 days, but time your travel times to avoid I95 and city rush hours.

-Maryland to Florida in 5 days is also pretty easy by car... but Texas will require a flight... as will the return to Chicago... and the Chicago to NV hop (unless you want to spend your entire vacation in a car).

-Vegas to LA to San Diego is a nice drive (6 hours maybe), but SD to Frisco is a long haul (8 hours in perfect traffic... probably closer to 10 or 11 hours in real life) so probably a flight there would save a lot of time.

-I've never been on the run from Frisco to Seattle or Vancouver so I can't help you there... other that to say it's also quite a ways.

You COULD fly from Chicago to Salt Lake and drive from there to Vegas/LA/SD - it's a full days drive though... add Denver in and you're looking at an easy (and very cool) 8 hour mountain drive from Denver to SLC on one day and a full (11-12 hour) second day of driving to get to SD.

There's hiking all over the place... but you'll probably not want to hike in the south or west at low altitudes in July, HOT!
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #18
dplax
Jack Burton

The trouble with point to point car rentals as I have seen from tests on car rental websites is that they cost quite a bit...

Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, I don't know what you mean by southeastern Canada, but Nova Scotia is very nice. Cape Breton is rated the most scenic spot in North America. You can bumb the car for a couple of days, since I work from home, or we can go around together.
Halifax is a pretty cool city. We still have a 1600 century Citadel, right in the heart of the city. They still fire a canon every day at 12noon.

Don't listen to Thoran about Montreal! You've had enough French and their's is terrible. No, it's nice, but Quebec city is nicer, to me. Toronto is just cool in every way.

Halifax has 5 Universities, which = moocho chicks!!
(don't tell my wife I said that)
Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
dplax
Jack Burton

*grin*

Another thing I thought about and completely forgot about is the natural parts of the US, like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone Park...seems I've completely skipped those so far. Grand Canyon looks definitely doable from Vegas, but Yellowstone seems to be in the middle of nowhere...with nowhere being very far away from my planned route. :p

Oh and I don't know what I meant with SE Canada. :p Not sure what there is to visit there.