Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #71
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

I can agree with what you posted there Ken. And I do know there are some miserable pieces o shite out there posing as parents too....I wish, it were possible to keep unfit people from reproducing...but it ain't possible
It is one of the reasons I am for abortion. Keeps unwanted people from procreating.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:27 PM   #72
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Oh wow...theres a lot going on here right now. Ill try to reply to as much as I can.

Ok, to all (robertthebard and Cerek in particular): I am indeed paying rent, that happened the day after I turned 18. As a matter of fact, I pay $300 a month for rent. I also buy all of my own cloths, my lunch and (on weeknights) dinner, and do various chores around the house like mowing the yards, cleaning the bathrooms, and the kitchen. That is part of the reason why I was so mad when he threw the games away, it took a lot of saving up to afford them.

MagiK You make good points, and I respect that we are indeed only hearing one side of the story, that you have not heard why my step father does what he does. Im sure, in his overly "agressive" way, he is doing what he believes will make me a stronger, more responsible human being.

Ken No, my step father doesnt have That kind of bad temper...If he did in anyway hit or physically my mother, I would hospitalize him. Please dont take that the wrong way, Im a very nonviolent person, but I will NOT allow someone I love to be physically abused. Also, the reason I didnt post when I was on earlier was, there was WAY too much to say in the 5 mins that I had before class started.

Night Stalker I agree entirely that someone should be disciplined if they dont take responsibility for themselves or thier actions. If I did drugs, or drank alot, then I would very much so want my parents to take the initiative and dicsipline me, search my room, that sort of thing. Because I dont want to become either a drug addict or an alcoholic.
I was not against my step father confiscating my comp for the last quarter of my junior year due to an "Absence problem". (I ditched two days of school the first semester) It got me back on track and I learned my lesson, dont skip out on school. On the last day of school, he returned my computer and all was well.

Cerek Thank you for your even headedness, you seem to have a very even view of how things seem to be. I would have been able to live with the fact that I didnt have games until either my grade came up, or my graduation. Both would have been perfectly justifiable in the eyes of parents and kids. But that is not the way he decided to handle it, sadly.

Bungleau Good points, the thing is, I do pay for pretty much everything I use or have.

Cristian LOL

quietman1920 A: I will be attending a nearby JC for 1-2 years, and then transfer to a Cal State, majoring in English. Eventually I will become either a journalist or an English Teacher.
And thanks for the suggestion, but Im not sure he would react calmly to that situation.

Luvian You seem to feel very strongly about this, and I dont want you to think Im against you in any way, but your agruement seems entirely based upon the fact that I am 18 years old. But I am still living in my parents home, and like many others here have said, "My House, My Rules", and I respect that it is indeed thier house, so I try to abide by the rules they lay down. Even though I do pay rent and do many other things to help out. (I really dont feel like listing them all, it would literally take an hour)

To everyone else that has posted thier opinion, I will try to respond to you tomorrow, but for now, I am totally wiped out from typing.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #73
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by the sauceman:
Ok, to all (robertthebard and Cerek in particular): I am indeed paying rent, that happened the day after I turned 18. As a matter of fact, I pay $300 a month for rent. I also buy all of my own cloths, my lunch and (on weeknights) dinner, and do various chores around the house like mowing the yards, cleaning the bathrooms, and the kitchen. That is part of the reason why I was so mad when he threw the games away, it took a lot of saving up to afford them.
Then I stand duly corrected. As I said before, you are extremely mature and responsible for your age. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Your step-dad should be proud of your maturity rather than focusing on your shortcomings.

My father and I had our own "battles" during my teen years. When I complained about my curfew or chores, one of his "patented answers" was "When you pay the bills, you can make the rules". Since you ARE paying rent (and most of the other expenses associated with your living there) then your stepdad definitely owes you a greater measure of respect and you SHOULD get to have a voice in the rules of the house (to a degree, anyway). And he should definitely replace the games if he did toss them.

On the bright side, you only have a few short months until you WILL be out of the house and able to make your own rules.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:45 PM   #74
Animal
Gold Dragon

Sauceman,

I'm very impressed with your maturity and responsibility for someone of your age (18, I assume). I left home when I was 15, shortly after graduating high school (I was somewhat gifted.) As soon as I was 14, I took a job at the local McDonalds and my father decided that since I was earning money, I should learn the value of such and pay rent.
I turned 16 that summer, got my drivers license, bought a '75 vega for $100 and moved to Vancouver to attend SFU. Life was hard, really hard. I had to work full time during the evening to pay for my bills, sometimes only being able to get a few hours of sleep a week.
I graduated with my degree, pursued a Masters as well, but I always hated my father for being so hard on me. I never talked to him since I left home. I attended his funeral 12 years later when I was 27 and now regret not having a relationship. The man I am today, I owe to my father, and although I hated him for being so hard on me, I hate myself more for not telling him just how much I loved him despite our differences. He died after two strokes and three heart attacks, and during his last hours he asked to see me. I refused. That was the biggest mistake of my life.
My mother told me that he was proud of me, and what I'd become. She'd say that he was constantly bragging about my success to anyone who would listen, but would never swallow his pride long enough to call me.

Dad, if you're watching. I love you. Thank you so very much for everything you taught me.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:01 AM   #75
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

sauceman, you are doing far more at 18 than I did. You show much more responsibility and maturity, and since you're paying your way (through money and chores), in my book, you get to make some of the rules. I also grew up under the "no rent if you're going to school" rule.

That being said, it appears to me that your SF has little ground to take a stance on. I feel sorry for him; to drive a stake of separation between you two when you are already more capable of living on your own... methinks he will get his wish shortly. $300 per month makes a decent apartment (one bedroom) out here in sunny Michigan. Of course, that money doesn't go *quite* as far in California... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Like I think I said before, his, hers, and the truth. And with more of your story, more of the truth is coming out. You have my condolences. Good luck when you move out.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:04 AM   #76
quietman1920

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Rauhl:
quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:
(No Retaliation...you'll play into his hands).
[/QB][/QUOTE]TV thing withdrawn. Actually, my whole post is moot: best of luck at college, sauceman.

As for the cow-orker in my office, lets hope that none of you ever have to deal with such a Bone Head, inside or outside of family. (unusual as it may seem, his white hair & beard make him look like Santa Claus...although he's more like the Anti-Claus if yu ask me)