Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2002, 11:47 PM   #1
robohobodude
The Magister

if you have read the BG books from forgotten realms what did you think of them? personally i found it annoying how it did't include half of my favorite npcs from the game!
Old 06-09-2002, 07:47 AM   #2
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

You mean the book that came shipped with BG2? Yeah, read, although I'm wondering what the hell that guys alignment was...
And dont you think he was a little TOO resistant to physical and mental bashing??
Old 06-09-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
Ryndel
Dungeon Master

I read the Baldur's Gate 1 novel by Philip Athans, and I've only got one thing to say about it.
It was LAME.
Very, very, VERY LAME! The main character went from Neutral Evil to Lawful Good in 246 pages, so you can imagine how fast the story went. They left out Davaeorn and the bandits entirely, and the story was too reliant on battle for my tastes. Jaheira was also portrayed as being kind of a ditz with major feelings for the main character (Abdel, I think it was. Fighter, human, you know the drill), and she also seemed to enjoy the main character's excessive cruelty and brutality (they also left out one critical thing about Jaheira and especially Khalid. Khalid - I am not making this up - DID NOT have a stutter)!
It did a fairly decent job of following...well...it was accurate to the...no, no it wasn't...you know, come to think of it, the only ACCURATE thing about the book was that the main bad guy was Sarevok, Abdel was a Bhaalspawn, and Gorion got killed. That was about it!
I don't even want to read the Throne of Bhaal or Shadows of Amn books if this is what BG1 was. It was almost as bad as the Dungeons & Dragons movie. Almost.
\"Darkness called, but I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to Star 69 Darkness, but his machine picked up! I yelled, \'Pick up the phone, Darkness!\'. But he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.\" - The Demon Hunter, WarCraft III
Ryndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:11 PM   #4
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

You know that the main character of the books, Abdel is the PC that bioware have used for their games of BG, in Totsc the predone save in Ulgoth's beard uses him as the PC, and in TOB he is one of the premade PC's
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #5
Thaziax
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by robohobodude:
if you have read the BG books from forgotten realms what did you think of them? personally i found it annoying how it did't include half of my favorite npcs from the game!
yeah, i read bg2 and i was very dissapointed with it, it could have been so much better.
Thaziax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:17 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

almost all books based off of movies or video games are crap, just as a movie based off of a book is almost never anywhere near as good as the book itself, I refused to read them on that principle alone and after hearing reviews from people here I'm glad I made my choice.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:24 AM   #7
Asynca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've got and read both the novels from BGII, SoA and ToB. The novels actually suck, but there's some cute Imoenisms in them... namely discussing her attraction to women (which quite a few of us were already discussing anyways...). I'm not entirely sure Imoen from the game would have slept with Phaere so quickly, keeping in mind the dangerous situation the group had posing as drow in the underdark. However, I don't doubt she would have found her captivating and possibly attractive. Her interaction with Melissan in the second novel is amusing and endearing, and much truer to Imoen's character.
I also rather like the way Bohdi was portreyed. However, I'm not inclined to read past the Amkethran chapter in ToB novel given Sendai's BRUTALITY *WAILING*
Asynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:48 PM   #8
Ryndel
Dungeon Master

There's an SoA BOOK?!
(lets out a tremendously long line of curses, kicking dust like crazy and basically losing it)
Dammit. Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT! I just worked my butt off over the last SEVERAL months writing a novelization of BG2: SoA, and was hoping to send it in for publishing! It sucks mainly because this book would have ruled, especially compared to the other novels out there. Well, there's a year or two of my life down the drain. If I could swear anything worse than "damn" on this forum, you can bet your boots (there, I censored myself) that I would be doing so like wildfire!!!
(lets out another longer line of much dirtier curses, then goes to beat up the author of the BG2: SoA novel )
\"Darkness called, but I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to Star 69 Darkness, but his machine picked up! I yelled, \'Pick up the phone, Darkness!\'. But he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.\" - The Demon Hunter, WarCraft III
Ryndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:24 AM   #9
Draven Drakehorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I really didnt like them for BG1 or 2, I prefer plain ol forgotten realms books by R.A. Salvatore, the al mighty creator of Drizzt Do'Urden. and DragonLance books.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:29 PM   #10
robohobodude
The Magister

Yeah R.A. Salvatore rules.... the dark elf trilogy (Drizzt DoUrdon).... Icewind Dale Trilogy.... but then there's Liriel Baenrae..... SHE KICKS ASS!