Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2000, 09:24 PM   #1
JimSteele

Okay, so I think I finished the floor below the well (with the Dwarven doom guards, switch room, throne room, bunch o' books, etc.). I now seem stuck on this level. I can't get through the secret door next to the fake stairs and dwarven doom guards. I think I have tried everything (beating the crap out of the dummies, twisting statues, flicking switches, carrying the useless books around, carrying all the runes or whatever they are, nothing!).
Please help if you can.Thanks!
Old 05-10-2000, 09:54 AM   #2
Moggl

Jim:

please read Exodus' 'I'm stuck' thread, it has just about all possible answers to the problems you might have.
Old 05-11-2000, 02:04 PM   #3
JimSteele

Sorry Moggl, I tried everything in there to no avail. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I have installed the patch, I bought back my forged stone in U's Beard, and I then managed to open every door again except for that darn door next to the fake stairs. If there are any other suggestions out there I'd love to hear them. I guess I could just restart back at my final save from BG but I reeeeaaaaallly don't want to do that.
Old 05-12-2000, 10:07 AM   #4
Moggl

If I'm not completely wrong, you might be able to unlock it with your thief, or use a 'knock' spell. If it isn't that, try the levers in the levers room. (turn them one at a time, and when the message reads 'a door has just opened', leave the lever you're on and try the next one. There are eleven levers in total)

If none of this does any good, please let me know as soon as possible, so I can check over the weekend.
Old 05-12-2000, 11:57 PM   #5
BobJ

I'm actually stuck in the same place. I've tried all the levers and haven't been able to get that door open either.
Old 05-13-2000, 06:37 AM   #6
Moggl

Bob: Maybe your thief's abilities to detect and to disarm traps isn't high enough. Try a potion of perception or master thievery.

NOTE: if you have been using cheats, your savegame might be corrupted. In that case, make sure to convert old savegames after installing the patch, load old savegame, work your way down again with no ropes attached and see.
Old 05-16-2000, 02:54 PM   #7
JimSteele

No Dice, sorry. My thief tries to unlock the door and either nothing happens or she says that it is a magical lock warded against simple spells and cannot be picked. As far as the levers go, I have opened every door possible simultaneously and flicked every lever individually with my thief next to the hidden door. Could it be that I should have triggered the trap on the false stairs instead of disarming it? I don't think the designers would allow one to end up painted into a corner, though, so I don't think that could be it.

To continue along your comment to Bob, I have detected the door and my view even includes a little bit of corridor beyond the door but I can't open it, and I have not run any cheat patches or changed the save game codes at all.
Old 05-17-2000, 12:40 AM   #8
JimSteele

Thanks for the help, Opus, I hope that works. I don't think I have taken the gear from the statue that yields that poison spell. I got out of that room as quickly as I could. I'll give that a try. The room with the Dwarven doom guards I think I have been in. That was the room that also had the bed and the body lying on the bed (just to make sure I know which room) with 2 chests. Opening them triggered the guards to attack....I triggered their attack before I opened the chests, could that have caused a glitch? Well, I'll get the stuff from the fat statue and see what that does. I'll let you know.
Thanks for the help from all of you so far. I appreciate it.
Old 05-17-2000, 01:56 AM   #9
Opus

Jim, which way did you get to the door? Through the torture chamber/gyn with all the traps then the teleport and the shamblimg lads or over the lava bridge and past the doom guards? From where you are there's a passage to the north which leads to a room which is trapped in the middle and off to the side is a smaller room with a statue of a fat man which sets off a poison spell each time you enter it. There's items on the statue and in the bowls on its' sides. Do you have them? To the south of the fake stairs there's a room with a couple of dwarven doom guards which has a chest in it. Do you have the things from there as well? One of them has the needed wardstone. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2000, 08:29 AM   #10
JimSteele

Opus, the fat man statue did the trick. He was holding the exit wardstone. That would have taken me forever. I just figured that room was a trap and that was it, until you mentioned that. Hey, thanks to both you and Moggl for helping me along with this idiotic problem. I appreciate it. I'll see what I can do to help others, now. Hey, if you guys ever need help with Java let me know (unless you're already gurus then I'd be pretty much useless). Have a good one.