Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-02-2000, 07:13 AM   #21
_max_RUSSKIE

Glorick ----- It appears you just like fighters.

What a load of *&)()^$%^ you said about rangers.

Best ranger class : Stalker Can backstab, has some decent mage spells, has ambidexterity (automatically 2 * in duall wielding)

Ok only leather armour but that makes you want to use hide in shadows and backstab evry one, But i still managed to get him a - 9 AC

And -9 thaco main hand and -6 off hand

You said that a fighter would kill a ranger, think again : My ranger has 5 attacks per round with no magic.

Yours with a fighter using a 2 handed sword would be like 2 or 2 1/2 attacks .

In mplayer my char whacks the enemy fighter into oblivion before the enemy even has a chance of doing a large hit.

All said this all depends on whos playing!! Iff your thick, playing as a red dragon wouldnt save you.

Old 12-02-2000, 10:08 AM   #22
Moriartty

In the old Pen and paper AD&D I had a favorite Bard that would be easy to receate in BG2. He was a 8th level fighter that dualclass to Bard. It gave a nice variety of abilities and being 8th level fighter with 18 con gave him close to 100 hit points.

The the real fun began. Upon gaining 6th level mage spells with my Bard he immedialty went hunting for one spell alone.

TENSORS TRANSFORMATION.

Turning a mage with 40 hp into a beserking fighter is nothing right? It only doubles his hitpoints to 80 and he still has crappy AC. Well my dual classed Bard had 102 hitpoints. This doubled to 204 and he did kick ass. A mage can only use a dagger with Tensor Transformation but that wasnt a big deal. Even high plussed daggers arent considered really valuable to most people. So with some work I gained a decent +4 dagger with spec abilities that I only used when beserking. Using specilisation as a fighter I had gained dual weapon. So that meant a dagger in each hand.

Ever see a Pit Fiend go down to a lone bard wielding a pair of daggers?

Nope. Neither had the DM til he watched me do it.

Depressed him to no end.

Old 12-02-2000, 10:15 AM   #23
Arachnia Vandriel

I would'nt mind a set of dice like the ones you must have used to roll his stats

Old 12-02-2000, 10:20 AM   #24
Moriartty

It was not intentional actually. The character could not dual class when I created him and wasnt intended to be. Several adventures ened with ability score increases and lots of character gold and favors went into aquiring wish spells.

So I was the poorest money and equipment wise of my party. I was also the most dangerous when we all lost our equipment though.

Old 12-02-2000, 11:01 AM   #25
Magness
Quintesson

I'm playing BG2 thru a 2nd time now as a Swashbuckler and have been very successful doing so. My character Eleryn has been alternatively double wielding 2 long swords and using a buckler, a longsword and and one of the magical throwing daggers. Most of the time, he's been one of my front-line "fighters" since he tanked up so well. Yeah, he can't backstab. I can live without it. I love seeing Eleryn slicing and dicing with those two long swords. Also, I've added Katana to his skills just so that he could wield the Celestial Fury as well.

I played the first time thru as Magness the Undead Hunter. There's nothing like having a vampire whacking away at your undead hunter and being completely immune to level drains while those mean and nasty vamps are getting a taste of Holy Avenger!!!

I happen to think that the Inquisitor and Undead Hunter's immunities and special abilities are exceptionally valuable and are worth the cost. Keldorn's special abilities will save your butt at times when your axemurderer, I mean, axemaster NPC is doing his best impression of a statue or that enemy mage is fighting from partial invisibility and your kickbutt mage can't get a targetting lock to fire off their magic missiles.

What makes any paladin really useful is not just their good sword arm but the special abilities.
Old 12-02-2000, 01:11 PM   #26
Helm-guard

I just finished the game with a Swashbuckler as a leader and I think It's a good class. My Caracter was a Gnome Swashbuckler and When I was fighting Beholders I had Boots of speed , Cloack of spell turning, The Daystar in one hand and Namara in the other. My Swashbuclker plowed in to them like there was no tommorow! Also to avoid Critical Hit I whear the death mask of king Gorik III it's the only helm a thief can wear. Equiped with the Shadow Dragon Armor I had a -9 ac Total plus gloves of Weapond expertise he rarely missed. Plus being A thief that cleared up must heavy armors for Mincs and Anomen to wear.

Old 12-02-2000, 01:18 PM   #27
justaworm

There are no classes that generally suck.

The whole point of playing a roleplaying game is to .... roleplay. Play whatever characters you think you would have the most fun with. Get it? Fun? This is a game remember, not a contest.

My only complaint is that I wish they stuck to the AD&D rules a bit better.

Old 12-02-2000, 03:10 PM   #28
caern

after playing the game a couple of times, i tried out the wizard slayer to see how powerful they can get. I created a half-orc wizard slayer (and named him Drun Warchild) who is dual wielding and specializes in two mace, flail and axe. Once he got the flail from nalia's keep and the frost axe and undead mace, he started kicking some serious a&*! I use the axe on anyone who is still living, and let the reign of terror loose upon them by using the mace if they are undead. I got him the bracers of defense, the magic full plate mail, the stupid looking helm that looks like a rock and the girdle of giant strength. the only thing that sucks is not being able to use potions. Of course the third time through, I played the multi-player version and used my characters for the most part. I also created a shapeshifting druid that transforms into a werewolf -- awesome! -- I dig monks too!

Old 12-02-2000, 03:41 PM   #29
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Remember Monty Hall? The guy who maxxed out all his stats, had the most powerful class and weapons, and then complained when the game wasnt hard enough? Monty hall is no fun in the long run. Who can feel a real sense of accomplishment if they beat the game with maxxed out stats and zero challenge?
Old 12-02-2000, 03:52 PM   #30
Magnus Magnificent

A lot of good points and data here, but.... Justaworm is right. No class truly sucks. They just require different playing styles and bring different challenges to bear. As to straight fighters vs paladins, you can't evaluate the delta by just having them square off and smack each other with swords. (I hope that is not how you play your paladin) They have many other strengths, while still being able to smack pretty hard with their sword. Compare the 2 vs a horde of undead and see who wins! I am sure the same holds true for all the classes and kits. There are situations where each will shine. That is, with the proper playing style, any class is capable of 'not sucking'.