Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-04-2001, 05:40 PM   #11
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I have some suggestions if you guys are "dueling"

in officla rule, you should also ban "scroll of protection from magic"
you should also imply that "only pass through the game once, therefore, only get bonus from hell once"

by the way, why did you ban "blackrazor", "crom faeyr" and "rob of vecna" by the gods, those are good items. there are ways to make those COMPLETELY items useless, so banning them only make the games less fun

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 04-04-2001).]
Old 04-04-2001, 06:10 PM   #12
Hesperex

Yes but those items can significantly increase the abilities of the wielder! and e don't realy want that.

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.

Old 04-04-2001, 06:14 PM   #13
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:
Yes but those items can significantly increase the abilities of the wielder! and e don't realy want that.

it is only fair. and as i said, they WIIL NOT significantly increase wielder's ability since they can be counter easily

Old 04-04-2001, 06:45 PM   #14
Lord Shield

I agree. You have Blackrazor? Well, eat Improved Mantle, sword-features!
BURP! to Blackrazor

Old 04-04-2001, 08:06 PM   #15
Maestro_v69
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not a member, but just commenting.

Why ban any legit item? Where do you draw the line in something like that? I can see it now: Holy Avenger banned. Celestial Fury banned. Soul Reaver banned. These are effective weapons, so why not allow anyone to use them, especially since they worked hard to get them, and did so within the game? If you are banning any weapons at all, might as well ban all magic items. I may be just an Elite Waterdeep Guard, but I have been around long enough to know that this kind of thing leads only to resentment. Hey, if someone told me I could play in these tourneys as part of a clan, but, sorry, you cannot dual wield your Crom Faeyr and Celestial Fury, I would be a mite (well, ok, VERY) pissed. Just figured I would let you hear the views of an impartial observer (not a member of any clan), give you the fruits of my experience, and a friendly word of warning.

Also, might want to allow people who have completely beaten the game to fight in their own class. As you know, these players have certain...advantages over those who have yet to complete the game.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, I'm merely trying to help

Best of luck, and may the games begin!
Old 04-04-2001, 08:10 PM   #16
Maestro_v69
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not a member, but just commenting.

Why ban any legit item? Where do you draw the line in something like that? I can see it now: Holy Avenger banned. Celestial Fury banned. Soul Reaver, Boots of Speed, and Ring Of Gaxx banned. These are effective weapons, so why not allow anyone to use them, especially since they worked hard to get them, and did so within the game? If you are banning any weapons at all, might as well ban all magic items. I may be just an Elite Waterdeep Guard, but I have been around long enough to know that this kind of thing leads only to resentment. Hey, if someone told me I could play in these tourneys as part of a clan, but, sorry, you cannot dual wield your Crom Faeyr and Celestial Fury, I would be a mite (well, ok, VERY) pissed. Just figured I would let you hear the views of an impartial observer (not a member of any clan), give you the fruits of my experience, and a friendly word of warning.

Also, you might want to allow people who have completely beaten the game to fight in their own class. As you know, these players have certain...advantages over those who have yet to complete the game.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, I'm merely trying to help.

Best of luck, and may the games begin!

------------------
I hear a voice you cannot hear
Which says I must not stay
I see a hand you cannot see
Which beckons me away

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

[This message has been edited by Maestro_v69 (edited 04-04-2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 12:49 AM   #17
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Yo Maestro i have to disagree with you there... (no offense but like you said just commenting)

why ban some of the most powerful legit items you say??
lets see now... the reason why "I" agree with OHF rulez is because those items are too powerful to be in the competition. now in order to win in a game you have to be powerful right? but what is the fun if everyone will just be using black razor, celestial fury and all the most powerful weapons out there... it will just be the same and downright boring... this kind of competition, where those items are banned, will bring out your creativness and your ingeniousnes in the midst of a battle. that is the main reason competitions are here for. i know that it is unfair to ban the items your worked hard for but it is also the same with other players who also achieved this weapons (and they worked hard for it too). this kinds of weapons are too powerful for thier own good... imagine me a wizard against a fighter with the cloak of reflection.. no matter what i do i will just might as well commit suicide. because that item is too powerful for its own good... i also have a technique against anybody and its an instant kill using the staff of the magi and level 9 spells but is it fair for the legit?? i dont think so... that is the main reason why we (well OHF) have placed these kinds of restrictions is because it would bring out not only your brawns but also your wit, reactions and minds

i think you have a point with the level disadvantages ...

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 04-05-2001, 12:57 AM   #18
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
Yo Maestro i have to disagree with you there... (no offense but like you said just commenting)

why ban some of the most powerful legit items you say??
lets see now... the reason why "I" agree with OHF rulez is because those items are too powerful to be in the competition. now in order to win in a game you have to be powerful right? but what is the fun if everyone will just be using black razor, celestial fury and all the most powerful weapons out there... it will just be the same and downright boring... this kind of competition, where those items are banned, will bring out your creativness and your ingeniousnes in the midst of a battle. that is the main reason competitions are here for. i know that it is unfair to ban the items your worked hard for but it is also the same with other players who also achieved this weapons (and they worked hard for it too). this kinds of weapons are too powerful for thier own good... imagine me a wizard against a fighter with the cloak of reflection.. no matter what i do i will just might as well commit suicide. because that item is too powerful for its own good... i also have a technique against anybody and its an instant kill using the staff of the magi and level 9 spells but is it fair for the legit?? i dont think so... that is the main reason why we (well OHF) have placed these kinds of restrictions is because it would bring out not only your brawns but also your wit, reactions and minds

i think you have a point with the level disadvantages ...

my blood is poiling once more, with battle lust, blood hunger, the desire for victory is way too strong... but i will hold off my flaming hand and control my infinity anger and rage!!

I've been dueling since BGI, and I dueled at leas two hundred games in BGII. I have to say, those "banned" items dont affect dueling at all. they are effective, yes, but they are SO easy to disarm it is not even funny. you said, ban those items invoke creativeness, that is totally incorrect. when i started dueling in BGII, I thought I knew everything, and with my experience and skills, i can win every fight. well, i was wrong. after a few weeks, a lot of people I fought became very cunning themselves, and they even discovered skills/tricks that can counter my own. at the end, items themselves DO NOT matter at all, it is the item combination and speed matters

crom faeyr, holy avenger, blackrazor, those DO NOT cause any inbalance. the ones that do are:

scroll of magic protection, imprison, staff of magis (this item is a pain in the ass), cloak of mirroring (in mplayer, most people dont use it any more. it is way to cheap and lame)
Old 04-05-2001, 12:59 AM   #19
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

ohh, also, wand of wonder should be banned as well
Old 04-05-2001, 01:13 AM   #20
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

for fighters i would tend to agree with you ... fight fire with fire i say so those kinds of items would not bother you since your using the same thing...

but as a mage i do not... you see these kinds of items are way too strong for dueling since they can really take a punch right out for a mage... and when it comes to dueling mages are in a disadvantage somewhat because alot of spells dont affect duelers (since they are also considered partymembers)ex: abi-dazims, sleep, emotion, horror and a few more...

i have also been to mplayer and ive seen alot of creative people out there who use alot of "creative strategies" out there ... (one was even Jon Irenicous himself and used a devastating spell "the chicken wing" instant kill )

i admit that you may be right 250 i "THINK" in a playing level level... blackrazor is kinda strong dont you think (it uses level 9 spell, level drain and that is not nice) ... i dont mind crom foyer or celestial fury...

but like i said its a matter of opinion.. no offense bud

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...