Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-18-2001, 11:18 AM   #1
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

So ive created a fighter who has dual wielding ability.

What are the best swords to specialize with?

Does it make any differance if ya make yourself a half orc? Negative or posative?

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:01 PM   #2
Nifft the Nimble

If you have ToB installed, pick Scimitar/Wakazishi/Ninja-To... there's a GREAT Wakazishi on level 1 of Watcher's Keep. Later go to Trademeet and get Belm +2. Put it in your off-hand and you'll get a bonus attack with your on-hand!

-- Nifft
Old 10-18-2001, 12:09 PM   #3
hagimihale
Manshoon

Half-orc isn't a bad idea for a fighter type, with the bonus to STR and CON (I don't think the negative CHA adjustment really affects anything, as long as your character isn't below 5). However, you might want to have an NPC with a high charisma as the leader and initial contact for your party - high charisma = more favorable reactions.

As for swords... (slight spoilers I guess)

there's a kickin' katana called Celestial Fury (+3, chance to stun, chance for 20pts lighting damage) in SoA.

Daystar (long sword) is only +2 (I think) but really rocks against undead.

I'm sure some of the regulars of this board can think of other swords. Those are the two that I can recall at the moment.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
Lord Exxon

The best (?) sword in the game is the Carsomyr + 5, which is a two-handed sword.
To get this, you must do the Firkragg quest.
NOTE: The Carsomyr+5 is just usable if you are a paladin!

--------------------
What we do in life, echoes in eternity

Old 10-19-2001, 10:11 AM   #5
Zbyszek

In SoA there are many long swords. In ToB people says that great bastard swords appear. Usually I give maces, scimitars, hammers to other members of my party: clerics, druids. I have no experience about axes, but I have seen a few nice +3.

Since he is half-orc he can not be paladin and he wants to dual wield.
Anyway about katanas: Celestial Fury is great but it is only one, you can buy nice katana if you are half-mage or use Valygars if you are ranger but more or less Celestial Fury is the only good katana.

I would say: long swords and maybe katana for the second hand.

[This message has been edited by Zbyszek (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 11:01 AM   #6
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well.. for me it's a matter of style.

I usually play elves so I prefer the look of two short swords (of which there are a few decent ones) or two katanas. Of course if you've got a dwarf there's nothing like the look of two battle axes or war hammers. For ascetics, I usually try to pair two of the same weapons, but that's just me.

The down side to the paired axes is also that you can't use throwing axes that way.

Mr. O

------------------
+ + + + + + + + + + + + +
Fav NPC: Minsc
Fav Character: Sorcerer
Old 10-19-2001, 12:45 PM   #7
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

daystar is a plus 3

in tob, you can get an awesome bastard sword called foebane, its a +4, and can get upgraded to a +5.

there is also an awesome longsword in tob called the answer, which you get fairly early in the game. lots of good weapons in tob.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-20-2001, 05:26 AM   #8
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

don't worry about ToB stuff; it progresses so fast an extra +1 or ability here or there really won't make much of a difference.

there's two ways you can go with this, but first you have to fill all 3 slots in dual wielding to eliminate those crippling THAC0 penalties.

if you're just starting the game then you have 3 slots left. at this point there are two routes you can take: put all 3 in one weapon type and eventually max it out to 5 at level 12, which will force you to ONLY wield that type of weapon; or you can put 2 in one type and 1 in another. i recommend the second option because there are several monster types that just aren't hurt much by slashing weapons, namely undead and golems, so you might want to be able to use a warhammer or mace.

i'm not certain how the game actually computes it, but i believe whatever weapon is in the offhand will only add one attack per round regardless of specialization, so make that your best overall weapon (like one that has an ability you can use, or boosts a stat, or gives some kind of protection), then you can equip different weapons of the same type in your main hand according to the situation. example: 2 slots in longsword, 1 in mace. you could have the mace of disruption in your offhand that (after upgrade) will protect you from level drain. then in your main hand you could have blade of roses (CHA bonus) for talking to ppl, daystar for fighting undead, and still have 2 slots open for whatever mace or longsword you find.

if you'd rather get grandmastery in just one type, i'd go with axes. there are great axes available very early in the game that will serve quite well throughout SoA, and ToB has a superior axe early in that as well so you will be set up nicely.

im sure someone will recommend katana and warhammer but i wont spoil it and say why .
Old 10-20-2001, 05:38 AM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I am getting curious now...I´ve got a fighter...dualing two axes at grand mastery...what are the stats on this superb axe found in ToB.
´cause I think the axes in SoA stinks...I´v got the frostreaver (Golemroom) and some pityful little +1 axe...nothing else have I found on my way through this game...SURE theres a lot of good throwing axes....but since they´re not melee weapons they can´t be equipped as dualled.
Old 10-20-2001, 06:19 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm... ...

I would rather Dual-wield Flails and Warhammers.

Item and ToB Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Flail of Ages +3 can be upgraded to +4, then +5 in ToB. Crom Faeyr grants you 25 STR, and is a good off-hand weapon.

Axes, there is a +3 axe sold by Bernard in the Copper Coronet, but you must complete the Slaver Quest there first. Bernard also sells a +2 Flail called the Sleeper, a good Flail to dual-wield with the Flail of Ages until you get Crom Faeyr.