Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-24-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I know this should be easy, but it's not. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] I've currently got two PCs (one desktop and one laptop) both connecting using wireless to my ADSL router (which is then connected to my ADSL modem which is connected via cable to the phone jack). I've got a DLink DI-714P+ Wireless Router, which has a config screen where you enter all the PPPoE settings etc. These were set using my desktop, so basically the router and modem are "always on". Not sure if the above constitutes a network, they're probably more like two separate computers both connecting to a gateway, right?

OK, not the annoying part. I've decided I want to have a shared folder (on my desktop) that the laptop and the desktop can access. So I created one on my desktop and right-clicked on it to set it to "Share folder". But when I check my laptop I can't see this folder. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

So...I figured maybe this was because the computers aren't networked? So I went back to my desktop and fired up the Networking Wizard in Windows XP (both PCs are running WinXP). So I ran through the wizard for the desktop, chose the option that said that my computer connects through a residential gateway, then after a few minutes it finished. Only problem is, it cut off my internet connection!! So whenever I tried to access a webpage like Yahoo or Ironworks the old PPPoE screen I used to use to connect (before I had a router) would pop up. Obviously since it's connecting via the router now this screen doesn't work - but when I try to click cancel it says that I'm working offline!!

I ended up having to system restore to an earlier point just to get my internet connection back. Does anyone know how to use this WinXP wizard to be able to create a shared folder on one of the PCs, without stuffing up the actual internet connections? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Those networking wizards are really strange. For me in winme I had to say I didn't have internet to make the network and the internet working. Maybe googling finds something. I got the idea that made it work for me from google.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:59 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Have you got a software firewall on either PC?

That can prevent you from seeing a shared folder or seeing the other computer.

Does either computer have a fixed IP address? If it does can you ping that IP address from the other machine ?

let me know if you need help with the IP address or pinging the other machine.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I have felt, and continue to feel your pain, and I'm sure I'll feel it again!

First, under your network settings, make sure File and Print sharing is on, then make sure your XP Firewall is off. If you use Zone Alarm or something similar make sure your local network is set to 'trusted' and NOT 'internet'. With these things done, if your network is setup correctly you should see the folder.

I've had complete success with the XP Network Wizard, when I use it correctly. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Setting up my laptop caused a few problems because it had been connected via cable previously.

Sounds like you did it right, but I'll recap anyway. Run the wizard on both ends. You should choose home network, internet connection via residental gateway, and if it wants to bridge connections say no. If it shows more than one device only choose the wireless card. I get this offer on my laptop because it has both a wired and wireless card that I have used(it mistakenly assumes they are on two different networks). Your dialup connection may cause the same problem. Look at your network and make sure you don't have a bridge from a previous attempt(if you do delete it). After the wizard runs, you can still use the wired and wireless cards on your network.

Seems like that is it. If that doesn't do the trick, hopefully Animal, or another of our guros will drop by.

Good Luck!

[ 08-24-2004, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 08-24-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

yeah, my husband has trouble getting to the printer with my firewal in place, so he has to lower the security on mine to use his. but on to the other question....once you have the network in place, you should go to my network places to veiw shared folders....if it is not there, you might have a security issue with the folder you are trying to share. if the said folder is on another folder, you have to allow that one, or move it to a different location. and there are some folders you can not share. so in other words, checfk where the file is located, if it is in another folder, check the settings. so forth and so on, I wound up having to share alot of folders just to get the ones I wanted to share.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

To TDC: I can ping the PCs fine, my main issue is that running WinXP Home Networking stuffs up my router settings - it almost seems to override them and decide that it wants to use my PPPoE connection in XP, rather than via the DLink interface. Anytime I try and run this wizard it does this. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Maybe it's still got that PPPoE setting from before I bought my router on my PC? Maybe it's thinking that's the primary connection...

Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Har'oloth
Manshoon

does they have a different ip
you should let windows configure to get a automatic adress! that should do the trick
i hope.
networks with windows are hell!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

This may be a dumb question but is the pc or laptop also on when you are trying to see the shared file? I think it has to be for the sharing to occur. We've had similar shared file issues on our home network, Mario. Hope you figure out what's making yours not work!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Can you see the other machine in Network Neighborhood? Do you see the default shared folders? There are three folders that are automatically shared called (I believe) Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Nope, don't see any of that. I think that's what the XP Networking Wizard's suppposed to do.

Problem is, whenever I run this wizard it changes my connection settings (that were preset in my router setup) and starts dialling using my PPPoE connection. This is what's stuffing up my connection.

I got sick of fiddling with it tonight...I'll give it another go tomorrow.