Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-11-2001, 08:33 PM   #1
Epona
Zartan

I mentioned this in Ziroc's thread on new areas for the board, but thought it best to let that one stay 'on-topic'!!!

Don't read any further if you don't want to hear me whining about my health problems!

Just that I have not been feeling too well for a while now, very tired, aching joints & muscles, just haven't got the energy to do anything. I saw my doctor and am now booked in for blood tests next week. This came as a bit of a surprise, as I was expecting her to say 'come back in 2 weeks if you don't feel any better', which is what usually happens. (BTW, I am not looking forward to having blood taken at all - my doctor called me 'The Veinless Wonder' when she saw my arms - I have no veins showing at all so they'll probably have to stab about a bit before they hit one).

So I am now quite worried, as I was not expecting to be booked in for tests - they would not do that if they thought it was just in my head.

My doctor is also really good - she asked me loads of questions about all sorts of things. (The only reason they usually say to go back if it doesn't get better is because I'm fairly young & healthy, and because there have been some problems with bacteria resistant to antibiotics esp. tuberculosis, they don't like to prescribe if you are capable of fighting off a bug by your own immune system).

But I'm still worried about it. What if the tests show I have something wrong? What if they don't, so I still won't know what is wrong? There is no really good outcome as far as I am concerned, unless I suddenly get better. Melusine, I think you may know what I mean?

BTW, I'm not after sympathy, this just came up in another thread which wasn't the place for it, but if anyone has any advice or gone through similar I'd be grateful.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:37 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Epona--
No advice, just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you and I hope your tests are at least enough to explain your symptoms. I too hate needles

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 10:05 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Epona,

Thank you. I do want to know. I wasn't kidding when I said we have a lot in common! We think so much alike it really is uncanny sometimes!

What to say, what to say? I guess I should start out by telling you that I understand the fear and worry. And that it isn't necessarily bad that your doctor ordered tests. Sometimes a doctor needs those to rule out possible problems as much as to diagnose them. Secondly, I can at least throw a little funny sympathizing in- about getting blood from you...geez we are CLONES! LOL My veins are easily seen but not tapped! Doctors hate it and I really do. FWIW, I faint. Yep dead away. Smelling salt revivals here! Can't stand to have my own blood taken. Avoid like plague. I'm very bad about it. So you can see you have my complete and utter support on that issue!!!!!!

I would like to offer a bit of advice. Take and do with it as you will. It's not easy to follow, but here goes: Relax. Find an outlet and forget as much as you can the anxiety of the testing.[b] You can do absolutely nothing about it, it is going to take place and it is necessary. Having said that, I need to add that your worry will not change the outcome at all and may make your health worse! A bit rough, for advice I guess, but I really hope you can find a way to do it!!! As I said, I have found a lot in common with you and feel very badly that you are going through this right now. Btw, it's ok to be scared. God knows it's not a pleasant thing to wonder about your health and future. But I have faith that when you know the problem, you will feel better. It will give you the focus that you need. Right now, everything is up in the air and unknown. A diagnosis, good or bad, will give you something to fight.

To relax: Play guitar? Learn a new song? Spam me here? Amuse and delight us, as you usually do! Find some additions to Cloudy's corner (the Anathema to Politics blah blah thread).. I need new material there!

Prayers commencing, my friend. For your health and for your peace of mind.

Cloudy
Old 03-11-2001, 10:08 PM   #4
JJ/newbie

Epona, the symptoms you mention could be any number of things. I have been learning about and using aromatherapy and naturopathic/homeopathic healing for the last 10 years, and have a quite extensive pile of literature and research. I would be more than happy to scan and send you anything that could be useful, but right now, I have absolutely no idea what that might be. My email is available on any of my posts, if you wish to let me know what you find out.
In general terms, what type of diet do you have? You know, lots of fresh fruit and veggies - washed to remove the pesticides! The chemicals used in modern pesticides are lethal in very small amounts, and they do also build up in the body, damaging the liver's ability to detoxify and remove them. What type of regular physical activities did/do you do? This very general stuff probably does you no good, you know it already! Let me know when you know more, and I will send you what I have that is applicable.

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-11-2001, 10:40 PM   #5
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Epona, I am glad that you shared this with us. Though I do have some heath problems of my own, I haven't had to deal with the situation that you are in as yet. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and the I am wishing you the very best.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:05 AM   #6
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Hi, Epona!
Do you mind me asking how old you are? Some of your symtoms sound like mine (the aching joints and muscles) and I have just recently started taking herbal supplements for it. Korean ginsing, glucosamine complex and lots of calcium and zinc. This seems to be helping the joint/tendon pain and is making it much easier to work out which has really helped. I know I should be eating/resting better but my life is so busy I'm sometimes guilty of neglecting my own needs. Let us know how it turns out (I should probably go in for the blood tests, too... ) In the meantime, remember what Cloudy said, try not to worry! It might very well be a nutrition issue and something that you and your doctors can easily resolve. And, remember, we a here for you!

------------------
Old 03-12-2001, 05:35 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Thanx folks, for your kind comments and support.

I'll let you know how it goes.

JJ/Newbie: You seem to know a lot about aromatherapy & health, that sort of thing, and your questions are very intelligent ones to ask. I am vegetarian, have been for a few years, and eat mostly fresh fruit & veg with cheese, soya, pulses for protein, & potato, pasta, rice & bread for carbs. I also take supplements to make sure I get enough iron & B complex vitamins which veggies can sometimes not get enough of. I too share your concern about pesticides - I try to buy organic when I can but it is quite expensive here, so I tend just to wash everything well. Oh, and I when I cook green veg it is almost always by steaming to retain nutritional value.

I don't do a lot of strenuous exercise because I damaged a ligament in my back a few years ago, but I do like to walk, and generally walk part way to or from work every day or go for a walk lunchtime (I do a desk job) - so do 2 to 3 miles of fairly brisk walking every day. I also like to cycle, but not every day because of the bad traffic in London.

If you have anything that you think may be of interest, my e-mail is in my profile.

Thanx again everyone!

------------------

Old 03-12-2001, 06:03 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Epona,
yes, that does sounds VERY familiar (apart from the veinless wonder hehe, with me they told me I didn't need to worry about it as I had the best veins she'd "stabbed" in years)
I was also wondering how old you were as it might help some of the others to see what your prob is. Well I think that a lot of people suffer from joint aches and so on, esp. in an older age, but that doesn't mean they've got the same thing as you, seeing that you're also very tired. I could tell you what my GP said, but of course that doesn't mean you have it too, he's even unsure whether I have it, but anyway: my doctor told me the first thing that sprang to his mind when hearing my problems was M.E. The most important symptoms are: extreme tiredness, pain in joints/muscles, dizzyness, nausea etc.
I was wondering, if you say "very tired" does it mean that you cannot work the same amount as you used to, need more sleep than usual, feel tired when you do things but still do them?
For me, it's so bad that lifting my teacup strains my arm and walking across the street to my boyfriend is an enormous task. Doing the groceries exhausts me for the rest of the day and I don't think I need to say that I haven't attended university in two months....
If you recognise this it might be M.E. but of course it's just a gamble, I'm just speculating as I feel that the worst part of this is waiting for the bloodtest results and the fear that they will have found nothing. I'm just so afraid that they won't be able to find a thing and I'll have to go on like this! I really hope so much that my doctor will tell me something like: 'Ah yes, you've not enough iron in your blood, now if you take these pills every day you'll soon be back to normal...'
So when do you get your results? I hope that it will prove to be something easily treatable and I will keep all my toes and fingers crossed for you! Don't give up hope, I know exactly how you feel and I'm frightened too sometimes, but now at least we have a companion on the board who goes through the same thing...GOOD LUCK!!!
Melusine: Casts Luck: Epona
Epona: Luck
Melusine: Casts Bless: Epona
Epona: Blessed
Melusine: Casts Heal: Epona
Epona: Healed

Btw keep us updated on everything, OK?
Oh, and this should cheer you up: I've sent the mailing list around for the B-day Card Network, and I know you're having your birthday soon: so everybody in the Network: c'mon and send those cards!!!!

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-12-2001, 06:18 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Melusine: thanks for doing the birthday card list - I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks time.

I'm tired as in - everything wears me out (it doesn't sound as bad as your tiredness though, I can still do most things, but walking up the stairs in my house makes me need a sit down - although this aspect seems to be getting worse), I feel as though I haven't had any sleep even after 11 or 12 hours a night and I could fall asleep anywhere, anytime. I also can't concentrate for long without feeling exhausted, so work (and my studies) are affected.

The pains I get range from bad headaches, to isolated pain in joints, to general muscle pain all over or in particular areas. Last Wednesday every single muscle in my body ached so I could barely move, but I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary to cause muscle strain. The next day it had gone.
Very strange.

------------------

Old 03-12-2001, 06:24 AM   #10
Sir_Tainly

Epona, sorry to hear you're not feeling well, hope the test come back o.k.

I know about the veinless wonder phenomenon (SP?) I had to have a blood test last week. Doc tried left arm, right arm, before finally getting blood from my left hand. Was told results were o.k. when I phoned, but it turns out I got the wrong message, as in fact my tests had been lost due to a machine failure. This means I have to give blood again!

Anyway wishing you well,

Sir Tainly

------------------