Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 05-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I am starting multiplayer and wondering how much people to take?
i was thinking
1.Half orc barbarian
2.Human kensai
3.Human Assasin
4...... Necromancer
5...... Druid

any suggestions? Do you think its good?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:11 PM   #2
Klutz
Manshoon

Welcome to Ironworks!

It's a bit magic-light for my tastes, but you have all the basic elements and will do fine. Barbarian + Kensai gives you a solid front line, Assassin is deadly ranged with a bow (the poison ability works on ranged weapons also) and of course with backstab, and Necromancer and Druid cover your priest & mage spellbook needs. The Druid can also augment the front line directly with plate mail + shield and/or indirectly with summons spells until you get the equipment it will take to improve your Kensai's armor class.

As far as party size, any size is playable... some people on this board will even play with just a single character. Keep in mind that without mods you can't remove and add your pre-generated party members in multiplayer. Therefore, 5 is probably the highest multiplayer number you want since that lets you bring in one NPC at a time without dropping anyone. As long as it's just you playing, create the game in multiplayer and then move the savegame folder from the multi-player folder ("mpsave" I think) into the single-player folder ("save" I think). Then you can play the game just like it was a single-player game.

Feel free to experiment with other races, also... but if you have a specific character/party concept in mind there's nothing wrong with Half-Orcs and Humans.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

good ideas but im actually playing with a friend so there will be 2 of us playing. Do u think it is still okay?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:33 PM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
It's definitely okay. It will actually be a blessing that you don't have two many spellcasting characters, so you don't have to pause the game too much.

I have played online with one other person and have had lots of fun. You might try to use a smaller party though, so each person is only controlling one or two characters instead of three.

My best mplayer games were where each human controlled one party member. It let each of us focus on using that one character to full effect, and kept us from annoying each other with constant pausing of the game to switch characters and assign orders.

One very important thing--discuss your tactics with your fellow player(s)! Make sure each of you knows what to expect in combat, so you don't end up frying a teammate with a fireball, and you don't have your mages and archers constantly getting exposed to the front line, because the front line player prefers hit and run tactics. Once you work out ways to complement each other, you won't be reloading battles quite as often.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

So what 2 characters would u say thn. mayb a dual classed kensai,mage and a thief/druid? any ideas?
Old 05-23-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

...you mean like use a kensai/mage instead of the kensai, and use a gnome thief/cleric for the assassin? That seems OK. Nice to have wizard backup, I think the extra priest's healing spells will help too; I don't know if it's your 1st time through, but when I was a newbie I needed all the help I could get - now I'm soloing all happy and stuff [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Now if you wanna know WHEN to dual the Kensai/Mage, I'd look up Kensai/Mage topics with the Search first, because that's one of those questions that's been asked WAY often 'round here, and there's a lot of info that's been posted...

[OMG I just leveled up to a drow warrior [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] ]

[ 05-23-2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Mahlennacht ]
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 04:55 AM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

How about:
Barbarian
Kensai
Archer
Sorcerer
Ranger/Cleric