Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Brent Weeks - The Way of Shadows

A friend here recommended it, and I ordered it.. Saw it was 600+ pages! NICE!!!
It sounds like the type of books I enjoy.. love the thieving type books (Love the PC Game Thief) and the Forgotten Realms Cale series..

Anyone else like this series from Brent Weeks? (No spoilers please)

Here's a link if you wanted to grab a copy:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Shadow...ds=brent+weeks

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

Default Re: Brent Weeks - The Way of Shadows

Sparhawk gave me a tips about this book in my thread "If you haven't read.."
I will definitely buy these books when all books in the trilogy is out.

Last edited by bubbe; 07-07-2013 at 12:41 PM.
bubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

I've just finished reading it for the second time, absolutely loved it. Brent Weeks' writing is fantastic, and keeps you gripped for hours at a time.

I will just say this. I was slightly disturbed by a scene in the beginning of the first book, and I won't say what it is, but once you get past that it is an absolutely brilliant series.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Wolf no worries i DID warn him that this is no kitty book ( aka kids book ). You're right there are some disturbing stuff in them....not only the first one!

Sparhawk ( your local Bweeks pusher )

Always feel free to ask for a good recomandation for fantasy - I read about 2-3 books a week ( I am the all-devouring book-o-pholic ) and on a firstname basis with the guys at the bookstore.

A funny little thing...about 10 years back I'd accidently misplaced a bill from the bookstore for 10 bucks and the shop automatically had their lawyer write me for the money. Now in Denmark there are some rules...among others that a lawyer cannot threaten with legal action for stuff under 100 dollars. Therefore I was amazed to see that he had included a "fee" of 99 dollars to bump it over the limit.
I of course always pays my bills so i grabbed the phone and called the shop - as always they are the soul of courtesy and I explained about the missing bill etc... I offered to drop by and pay it at once and did so.
So while I am paying it to the guy at the counter, I remark that the lawyer had put the fee on the bill and if I had to pay that too - and the guy at counter went "?"
I showed him the letter, he vanished out the back...came back 2 min later and asked me to join him in the holy chambers of fantasy litterature in Denmark ( www.fantask.dk ) - it was good coffee....he called the lawyer while I was sitting there....and sacked the sucker while I was choking on my coffee with words such as "Thieving scumback, swindler and fired" being more modest that most others.

Turned out that the shop didn't understand why so many of their regular customers had stopped comming and that again turned out to be because the lawyer was swindling people by adjusting the "fee". As the guy remarked to me:
-"Jesper, you've spent nearly 8.000 dollars on books and cartoons so far ( i was 23ish...a lot more today sigh ) and this guy wants to drag you to court for 10 dollars - how did you think we would react.

I still shop at that place once or twice a month :-D
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Oh...on another little sidenote!

If you play Skyrim and do so on PC then search the workshops for the mod called Shenks thievery overhaul, it gives thieves in Skyrim a whole new life in the game. Adding thieves dens, roof-climbing, sewer crawling and best of all vaults in 3 of the big cities that you can rob blind if you find the keys to do so ( which is WICKEDLY difficult )
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

*drool* Thanks Sparhawk! I will grab that mod TODAY! and check it out! I sure hope that new Thief reboot has that type of mechanics--roof climbing, sewer pipe crawling and such.. love that stuff.. sneaksie thiefsie...

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: Brent Weeks - The Way of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

A funny little thing...about 10 years back I'd accidently misplaced a bill from the bookstore for 10 bucks and the shop automatically had their lawyer write me for the money. Now in Denmark there are some rules...among others that a lawyer cannot threaten with legal action for stuff under 100 dollars. Therefore I was amazed to see that he had included a "fee" of 99 dollars to bump it over the limit.
I of course always pays my bills so i grabbed the phone and called the shop - as always they are the soul of courtesy and I explained about the missing bill etc... I offered to drop by and pay it at once and did so.
So while I am paying it to the guy at the counter, I remark that the lawyer had put the fee on the bill and if I had to pay that too - and the guy at counter went "?"
I showed him the letter, he vanished out the back...came back 2 min later and asked me to join him in the holy chambers of fantasy litterature in Denmark ( www.fantask.dk ) - it was good coffee....he called the lawyer while I was sitting there....and sacked the sucker while I was choking on my coffee with words such as "Thieving scumback, swindler and fired" being more modest that most others.

Turned out that the shop didn't understand why so many of their regular customers had stopped comming and that again turned out to be because the lawyer was swindling people by adjusting the "fee". As the guy remarked to me:
-"Jesper, you've spent nearly 8.000 dollars on books and cartoons so far ( i was 23ish...a lot more today sigh ) and this guy wants to drag you to court for 10 dollars - how did you think we would react.
I still shop at that place once or twice a month :-D
Now THAT'S a great store! Those smaller stores are always more friendly than these massive book stores that rotate new workers in monthly it seems.. and they never remember you..

BTW, just wondering, what is the US currency conversion of DKK 80,00?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Coversion is 5.7 ( todays value ) so 80 DRK is 14 dollars - keep in mind that the shop is importing almost all books from the U.S. so they normally mark up the price a bit - I often see the U.S. price ( its printed on the book haha ) so on paperbacks its almost always a good price - on hardbacks I've seen som terrible mark-ups.

btw Ziroc: Let me know if you find the keys to the vaults in Markath and Solitude ( even with 800+ hours in the game I still have only found the keys in Whiterun ).

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

....giggles....

Just remembered something about that thievery overhaul that I forgot to mention ( Mwahahahahahahahaha *evilmaniaclylaughing* )

in regards to nice mods for Skyrim I'd suggest the following:
  1. Bosmer armor pack - awesome armor that is on level with leather but looks awesome.
    The author also made some scripted quest but that is for level 80+ and my archer is level 30. The armor is leather, glass and then some quest armor. ( glass armor still looks like leather - its just on level with glass )
  2. Backpack: adds backpacks ( 150 carry ) and duffelbags ( 300 carry ) - I only use the backpacks as the duffelbags are soooo ugly - but I really like the idea of it and they fit really well into the game and gear.
  3. Left hand rings: well doh...you can now wear two rings
  4. Wyrmstooth: A REALLY long scripted questline where you are engaged to kill a dragon, but not alone first you have to recruit a small army of mercs and then....
  5. More Dragons: changes the amount of random dragons to double. This means there can be some REALLY epic battle - as I had to fight 3 dragons at once while trying to keep clear of a giant too....epic ( unfortunately I lost Lydia in this fight and had to reload and then there was only 2 dragons )
  6. More Dragon loot: Adds a random magic item and a bit more gold ( about 200 gold pr dragon )
  7. Spend dragon souls for perks mod: I personally find many of the shouts utterly useless - with this mod a shrine is inserted into the game where Talos will exchange the dragon shout and give me a perk point instead.
  8. I am seriously thinking of trying out the Frostfall Mod that adds enviroment to the game - so if you get caught in a blizzard you WILL freeze to death unless you set up camp etc. but I am still debating in my head if that is a good thing.

"Unleash the Casey!"

Last edited by Sparhawk; 07-09-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I am in spam-mode haha*

I also use a few more "disruptive" mods - but these change a lot in the game so I would be more careful trying these out.

Midas Magic: More spells, there are some really nice ones among them and you don't just get the spells - you have to craft them.

Way of the monk: I played this mod for a while and then deleted it with a heavy heart. The mod itself is really awesome, play unarmed, unarmored and since Bethesda already have unarmed in the game it works really well ( I still get chills from the first time I grabbed a Thalmor mage and whipped him over my shoulder and broke his neck in slow motion ) There are tons of fist weapons and monk robes and holy stones that will give you a passive bonus ( damage you do heal allies or stuff like that ).
Problem: The author didn't know how to change the perk system and make the new combat system ( as you don't normally level up in unarmed combat ) so he made an underlying script that does all this - major overhaul on his side - unfortunately this also means that the unarmed is outside the normal perksystem and that made it extremely difficult for med to keep a broader picture of what perks I'd used ( since they don't show up in the menu ) and I was constantly trying to figure out the next upgrade - in the end I just gave up - feel bad about it but the mod simply isn't integrated enough for me - though its awesome to play.

"Unleash the Casey!"