Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Northraven
Manshoon

Does anyone else here feel that RPG's for the PC are in a slump? With the exclusion of MMORPG's there dosen't seem to have been an "old school" RPG that has captivated everyone for the last couple of years. Most of the people I know are not big NWN players and Morrowwind (while being a game that I really liked) seems to not be everyone's cup of tea.

The BG series seems to have been the last RPG on computer that everyone who plays RPGs got really excited about and that was going on 2-3 years ago. Anyone else think that it's time for another smash hit hardcore RPG? Is there some great RPG out there that I'm missing out on? Some people will probably say Knights of The Old Republic...I dunno those games didn't seem to have the monster success of a BG 2 on PC.

Anyway...opinions? Rants? Theories? Are we in another PC RPG slump? Discuss [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Yep. Its now the FPS's turn to live, or MMORPG.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Froberg
The Magister

One word and a number:

Fallout. 3.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I agree. There used to be quite a selection of different RPGs in the stores, and new ones coming out. Now there are few and far between. I really hope that changes, because even though we have Playstation2 and Xbox at my house, I don't like them. I like my desk and my keyboard and mouse LOL. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Oh and most definitely I'd love to see a decent RPG game come out like Baldurs. IWD I didn't think came close, and NWNs was good, but no "party." I like games where I can control a party and their actions individually. I'm playing Dungeon Siege (the Add-On) right now, which has a party, but no story LOL. Nice graphics though, beautiful even, but you can get lost easily and it can, well for someone like me anyways, get frustrating to the point of madness LOL. Sacred I also like, but its more like Diablo than BG, and again just one character to control. I'm surprised that nobody has come out with a game similar and equal to the Baldurs series, it's hard for me to believe it's because of lack of purchasers... I dunno... But I agree with you!

[ 04-12-2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Northraven
Manshoon

I have to wonder if it's because publishers seem to be "dumbing down" all of their games to appeal to the so-called mass market. Deus Ex 2 (while not an RPG) was a perfect example of this as were IMHO KOTOR 1 and 2. These were all good games but not the kind of hardcore RPG that I am looking for. Anyone know of any promising games coming out in the near future? Is there even a hint of any D&D titles on the horizon...(I personally would like another opportunity to take a real RPG jaunt through the realms.)
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

It could be dumbing down, would not be surprised one bit. A lot of the newer PC games I also notice have a lot of graphics, many first person too. While that's all well and good for those that like that sort of thing, me, I don't need those kinds of graphics. I appreciated the graphics in BGII and if they made a game with the exact same graphics as BGII, I'd again buy it right up. I also loved Planescape Torment, and consider it right up there with BGII. They easily could have made another one, as the ending movie suggested more and a "to be continued" type feel. It had the best story with it, and interesting NPCs with their own stories, and pretty cool graphics, especially with the spells. These things are what I like in a game, they really didn't need to change anything, just make a new one LOL! But nooo!

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Northraven
Manshoon

Yah LadyZ I know what you mean. I am playing Baldur's Gate again and the graphics are 4 years old and suit me just fine. I mean, don't get me wrong I like graphics but it's the gameplay that makes a game great. This is not just with RPG's, I still think System Shock 2 is one of the greatest Shooter-type games of all time. So was Thief for that matter.

I can only hope in the future that game companies step up once again and make some quality titles where gameplay is taken seriously and it's not just an interactive graphics demo...I play Halo 2 as well as Ghost Recon online for Xbox and I enjoy them but computer games can be so much more sophisticated and I hope companies stop dumbing-down their releases for PC games so that they can be ported to console. Console games are one type of experience and IMO computer games like RPG's strategy, etc. should be another...just my 2 cents.

[ 04-12-2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Northraven ]
Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Oblivion, which is at the 'Elderscrolls' website is due out within the next???? Something like it's third year in development, so it should be close. I found BG annoying, never finished it, or any of the other series. Checks drive, yeap Morrowind is in there, seems like the only 'game' on this rig.

It appears the R&D folks have lost contact with the RPG realm, and are surely 'dumbing' them down. Man, I still recall the anguish, then laughter whilst using the cheese to get into the next area in "Bane of the cosmic forge". Even Wizards and Warriors had a few challenges, but could have had more.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Froberg:
One word and a number:

Fallout. 3.
will take awhile before this comes out .. next year at least i reckon

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Dungeon Lords should be coming out soon... and you can download a demo from a couple of places. Check the threads on the W&W board for details and suggestions... while it's too early to judge from the demo, it does appear that DL is more along the lines of a classic CRPG.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote