Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-27-2001, 05:07 AM   #11
Kingenigma
The Magister

try dualling a thief to a cleric as well, especially swashbucklers.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:35 PM   #12
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You know, not being able to Dual a Druid would really be the kiss of death for that character.
"Hey, Cletus, how can we make the Druid a really sucky class to be?"
"Gee, that's a thinker, Bubba. Uh, hey, how 'bout we make it so you can only advance to Level 14, and then you can't Dual to anything."
"Yeah, there you go! You'll be Prez-ee-dent in no time."

Could someone out there with BG2 build a Human Druid with at least 17 STR and see if you can Dual to Fighter? You start at Lev. 10, so you should be able to do it right off the bat.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:54 PM   #13
AcePylut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Here's what I found to be a pretty effective party... it's the one I'm currently working with...

1 Dwarf Beserker (great saving throws, 19 CON for great HP, beserk rage for those boss characters - specialized in axes - it's D&D cannon ya know... +, there are some great axes out there (Azuredge, the FrostReaver, StoneFire, and more)
1 Fighter (lvl 11) dualled in Cleric ( I got sick of having to pay for restoration, and with the Ring of Regen and all thehealing potions, you really don't need a Cleric - all proficiencies in the two weapon slot, 1 in maces, 1 in flails, 1 in warhammers... I cant wait for Crom Fayer and the Flail of the Ages +5)
1 Fighter (LvL 7) Dualled into a thief right from the start (Proficient in the Long Bow, Short Bow, CrossBow) -> great for traps and great with a bow
1 Fighter (LvL 9) Dualled into a Mage (Grand Master with XBow - combined with the Light Crossbow of speed... ohhlalala, combined with mage spells - deadly, proficient in 2 handed swords)
A Second fighter (LVL 10) Dualled into a Mage (Grand Master of the LongBow - and mage spells.... booyah ohllaa, proficient in Long Swords and Halberds)
Main Character = Sorceror

I've found that my dualled fighter mages are great with the bow, and they are currently only 1 level behind my Sorceror. If I did it again, I'd have 3 fighters dualled into mages.

I've found you really only need 1 tank if you have three mages and a cleric - and since I have, effectively, 5 fighters, they can all take turns at the front when the beserker needs to heal/drink potions.

The Cleric, well, she's more in the party as a matter of conviencence then necessary... like I said, I got sick of paying to restore levels drained.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:15 PM   #14
Calzou

Why you choose to have only dualed Char!
i don't understand , i am agree with.uhh...i forget his name lol who said that you need a Pure Caster like a Sorcerer!
And why dont you get a Skald? at lvl14 you have great sing that immune yar party against Fear, stun, hold and confusion.
I think that is not necessary to have 5 fighter dualed , why dont have Pure class, a fighter mage dont have Lvl8 spell even if h is at his higher lvl in BG2.
So meditate this words.
Have agood day all , and long life to Baldur's Gate.

Old 11-27-2001, 03:21 PM   #15
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

"Hey, Cletus, how can we make the Druid a really sucky class to be?"
"Gee, that's a thinker, Bubba. Uh, hey, how 'bout we make it so you can only advance to Level 14, and then you can't Dual to anything."
"Yeah, there you go! You'll be Prez-ee-dent in no time."

LOL [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Use a kensai dualled to a mage later on.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:00 PM   #16
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

Welcome aboard Six. I expected to hear from you sooner. I was all excited about my dwarf having regeneration too; but, early on you can get something that does it better. The other stats like wisdom + dex are far more beneficial in BG2. That ligitimate 21 wisdom and 20 dex REALLY come in handy. I also found that Ioun stone; but, it wasn't on a squirrel. I found BG2 more challenging and enjoyable. The struggle just to survive in BG1 is great; but, I like having more complex powers. Yea, my dwarves get short changed in BG2. Fighter/Cleric is about it. You're better off dualing fighter to cleric for more hp's and five +'s in your item of choice. You might think about starting off BG2 with a half orc beserker as your tank. Lots of diversity. Enjoy!
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Old 11-27-2001, 08:35 PM   #17
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Hi again, Telchar. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm not really meant to be on the BG2 forum yet; I'm only here because I like to get an idea of what's coming up on the horizon--while doing my best to dodge spoilers, of course. Yeah, regeneration is really great in BG1; If your Tank is about to keel over and die, just take the party to another map screen, or set up the tent for a quick snooze. But, as you say the Ring of Regeneration* shows up early on in the game, you're right, I don't need my Dwarf at all. I agree about the DEX and WIS--IMHO, Dexterity is THE most important stat for everyone. Only the Elven Mage/Thief is gonna have 20 DEX; but 2 others have 19 and the rest have 18. And my Paladin's gonna have 20 WIS, while the Cleric & Druid each have 21.
Barb, you suggested a Kensai->Mage? That's exactly what I was planning for the Fighter->Mage I'm adding to the party.....now I just need to find out exactly what a Kensai is.

Here's the party I've got now: (I rolled them all last night)
Paladin
Fighter->Mage
Fighter->Cleric
Druid->Fighter
Thief->Fighter
Elven Mage/Thief

My primary concern is the Druid. Aelia says the manual states that Druids cannot Dual; then again, the manual HAS been wrong before. In BG1 (I have ToSC, if that matters), I was able to make a True Neutral Fighter with the appropriate stats and Dual-Class to Druid, and also a Druid with the appropriate stats and Dual to Fighter. (Fighter was the only option, though--wouldn't a Druid/Mage be sweet?) What I'm curious about is if BG2 or ToB will ALSO allow you to Dual a Druid to Fighter.

Oh, and Telchar: One more benefit of building a Fighter->Cleric (apart from the better HP, THAC0, and weapon specialization) is that you're not restricted to a Sling while you're in Fighter mode. Any Missile weapon is fine, so my Fighter with Missile+++ is perfectly happy with a Crossbow.

*(About me & spoilers: I like knowing WHAT the new items are, just not WHERE they are. Although I would like to know if I can get them before I'm 3/4 of the way through the game.)

My apologies to anyone who read this whole dang thing.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:53 PM   #18
dwarf 13
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you want hit points, there's nothing better than a dwarf berserker for a tank. The rage ability is nice too. You wouldn't be limited to axes, of course, but if you did stick with them, there are plenty of good ones out there (I think someone already mentioned that). So, in my opinion, go with the dwarf (not that i'm partial or anything).
Old 11-27-2001, 09:39 PM   #19
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

My primary concern is the Druid. Aelia says the manual states that Druids cannot Dual; then again, the manual HAS been wrong before. In BG1 (I have ToSC, if that matters), I was able to make a True Neutral Fighter with the appropriate stats and Dual-Class to Druid, and also a Druid with the appropriate stats and Dual to Fighter. (Fighter was the only option, though--wouldn't a Druid/Mage be sweet?) What I'm curious about is if BG2 or ToB will ALSO allow you to Dual a Druid to Fighter.

And if Aelia says so , it must be true! Just for you, I rolled up a human druid (and had to sit through the boring intro movie I might add ), stats 18 charisma (druid prime requisite) and 18 strength (fighter prime requisite) and low and behold, no dual class option in BGII You should really listen to me, I know all
Old 11-27-2001, 10:21 PM   #20
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I was planing on dualing a druid as well. Summoning greater fire elementals early on is pretty cool. I like totemic druids for the spiritual animal sumoning 3+ times a day. Please correct me if I'm wrong; but, when I fought the mind flayers in the sewers, my spirit animals were imune to thier attacks. Awsome low level fodder. The greater elementals are highly resistant as well. If not, I've got the staff of fire to bonk 'em with.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion