Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

In North Carolina, we are up to 7.0%. Sometimes, however, I see a tax breakdown of two seperate categories on a receipt, Tax #1, and Tax #2. What is this division? What is Tax #2? Once, I think I remember seeing tax categorized into "3" subs.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Chris of the Dale
The Magister

Well, in Canada we pay a base rate of 7% on tax, called GST (government sales tax) and then in some provinces they have a variable amount of tax called PST (provincial sales tax). I personally live in Alberta which is now debt free, so we just pay GST.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Washington state has odd taxes as well. Base rate is someting like 8.9% in places like Seattle and King County, but in Pierce County (Tacoma and surrounding areas) it is up to 10.6% or so. Haven't been in a while, so I'm not sure what it's doing these days, but I do know they almost always try to pass it off as either earmarked for "fixing the road systems" or "increasing eduation funding", neither of which ever gets done. Alaska was great because the only taxes you had were based on your city/village. My hometown has a 6% tax and probably won't ever gain support again through that BS "school funding" line. Shanghai currently has no sales tax, and probably never will because it's just about impossible to enforce things like that when everyone haggles the price on everything.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sales Tax: 8% to 10%, depending on what you're buying -- and it's going up.

Income Tax: About 1/3 total income to feds, and about 1/10 income to state.

Property Tax: Upwards of 1.75%/yr.

Let's not forget all the hidden taxes: City Sticker, annual licensing, city utility fees, etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

In Michigan, we've got 6% sales tax and 4.2% (or is it 4.6?) income tax.

There are also special levies for things like hotel rooms and rental cars that are used for local infrastructure (sporting arenas, airport expansions, downtown rehabilitations, and the like). By doing it that way, they only "tax" the out-of-towners, and not the locals.

Many places have multiple levels of tax. Aside from the Canadian GST/PST, there's also VAT in Europe and elsewhere. In the states, you can get sales tax at the state, county, city, and I think regional level, and you can get hit at all levels at the same time. Which truly sucketh, if you think about it...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

I figured it out once but it was just too depressing so I've developed a split personality to hide the truth from myself.

Have not.

Have so.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

I think it's got to be close to 50% these days between all the taxes and surcharges you pay on almost everything you spend or make.

Think about it... for every gallon of gas you buy you pay about $2.00, somthing like 80 cents of that is tax. But the 2 bucks in your pocket has already been reduced by 30% in income tax... so really you're paying $2.70 in INCOME for that gas, about $1.50 of which is TAX. ADDITIONALLY, the companies that make and sell the gas are paying tax on their operations... cost that they of course pass along to the customer (who knows how much that amounts to). Face it, these days we're here on this planet to provide for our government, not the other way around. Don't you just love it.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

sales tax in pa- 6% on non-necessities (basic foods and winter clothing are not taxed) not sure bout rest
Old 11-29-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

In Quebec we have 15% tax.

Half goes to the Federal Government, half to the provincial one.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

PST is 15% in provinces that have them. I live in Alberta so only have to worry about GST, but GST is weird I just have to make sure I buy my donuts in 6's or 12's so I don't have to pay it.

Property tax varies depending on town or were you live in a city. Income Tax depends on alot of things sometimes you get things back other times you pay. Depends on what you do with your money. The more you invest in RRSP the more likely you are to get money back, you have student loans claim your interest, if you are a charitable person you can claim some. Medical Expanses you can claim but it needs to add up to a certain amount and I have never been able to add it up enough to claim medical. As for not paying taxes in Alberta, the Alberta Health Care premiums are a tax just not defined as one. They find a way to ding you either way, it isn't like you are getting better health care than the rest of the country, also we have alot of higher user fees, like registering cars, pets, etc here that is lower in most other parts of the country. The Alberta advantage is a myth, King Ralph has found other ways to weed money from people while convincing voters that they are the lowest taxed in the country. Meanwhile our education, roads, health care deteriorates while King Ralph's coffers grows. Meanwhile he gets drunk, berates the homeless to get jobs, and disabled in wheel chairs that they don't seem very disabled. At least he is going to retire after is term is up this time.

[ 11-29-2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-29-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Too mucken futch!
Well, I just got my pay stub and a $3707 gross is a $2209 net! Most of that is my bonus, but still, it hurt. HST here is 15% on everything!

[ 11-29-2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]