Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Sad

I recently had my PC upgraded. Part of the upgrade included a new,larger HD. When I took it to the local PC shop, they asked me which files I wanted Saved. I told them to save everything in My Documents - and also everything in my Black Isle folder (so I wouldn't lose my BGII games). However, I forgot to tell them to save the files in my P2P folder and ended up losing ALL the songs I had downloaded. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

After MUCH debate in the C.E. Forum, I've come to agree that P2P file sharing of songs for free isn't fair to the artists - so I had not bothered to re-download any of the P2P programs out there. Then a coworker told me that - if I downloaded KaZaaLite again and used my former ID - I should be able to recover all of my old files.

So I checked it out - only to discover that the KaZaa software is no longer free. It costs $20 for 1 year, $30 for 2 years, or $40 for Ulimited Access. Now, because of the numerous discussion about this subject on C.E., I have no problem actually paying for the software, but I do have a few questions about it.

1) Does this fee for the software cover the costs of the files I want to download, or will there still be a charge for each file I want to get?

2) If I download KaZaaLite again, will I really be able to access my old files if I use the same ID?

3) Does KaZaaLite have any spyware attached to it. I know they claimed it was "spyware free" before, but the general consensus was that it just had less spyware than the other P2P programs. If I AM going to pay for the privilege of the software, then I absolutely expect it to be "spyware free".

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions or advice would be welcome.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

1)I dont think so, I havn't used the new pay system, but you should be able to download anything that is shared.

2)Hahaha, I doubt it, if it was formatted, then unless Kazza has a data recovery program biult in then no, unless you mean can you still download them, in that case...Maybe, it will depend if the person you originally got them from is online.

3)HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, this is the biggest load of s**t I have heard in a while, the only P2P software I have ever used that was spyware free was Shareza, and although it was good, it still did not have the ammount of files that Kazaa and I-mesh have. So I doubt this is true, unless when you pay, the creators send you a customised version...

But I have not used a file sharing program for a looong time so, maybe someone who has would know more.

[ 09-12-2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Old 09-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's still free.

The guys of Kazaa lite got into an argument, so now you have two website. One that sells it, and the other that give it away for free.

I don't remember the url of the free one, it was a strange one.

But what you can do is install another version of Kazaa, use it to download the latest Kazaa lite, and then delete the spyware version and run your anti spyware programs.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm not sure this is the one Luvian is talking about, but there was a mention of Kazaa Resurrection on Tech TV's 'The Screen Savers' Dark Tip section a few months ago.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I'm not sure this is the one Luvian is talking about, but there was a mention of Kazaa Resurrection on Tech TV's 'The Screen Savers' Dark Tip section a few months ago.
Probably doesn't matter anyway, the music industry has most of it bugged and monitored so it's a dangerous thing to mess with.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'll certainly agree with that. I stopped downloading music, etc, after a read an article about a couple refinancing their house to pay their out of court settlement with RIAA.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Plus with every song in their download library at 89 cents, you just can't beat those Wal-Mart prices. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
Zero Alpha

anybody still using KaZaA for music must be Waaaaaay out of the loop.

1. KaZaA is full of spyware and its counterpart (lite) is still illegal (its a hacked client)
2. KaZaA is full of Faked / Deliberatly Damaged files
3. KaZaA is watched by the RIAA who sue major sharers
4. There are much better solutions out there

in conclution, KaZaA lite is great (and free) for filthy, filthy pr0n. for anything elce, there are much better solutions.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

I personally cannot stand wallmart in any fashion. Ill pay for the full album from someplace else rather than for each song frm wallmart.

To be honest I havent heard much about kazaa in a while, but if Kazaa Ressurection was mentioned on tech tv.. heead to their website and do a search. They are pretty up to date on their news and technology

[ 09-12-2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Teri-sha Illistyn ]
Old 09-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

The last I heard of Kazaa and the music industry was when they were suing that little 10 yr old girl up in Maine for having hundreds of songs. I don't know if that was fabricated or not, but I didn't care to find out.