Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-10-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

A thing is living if it has a physical presence and it reproduces.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:52 PM   #12
Stratos
Vampire

I think, therefore I am.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:02 PM   #13
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
I think, therefore I am.
I never quite understood what people meant when they said that... what does it mean?
Old 10-10-2004, 06:18 PM   #14
Niadh
Elminster

It means that they are more than just a beast eating for life, that they do more than wake, eat, sleep, pee, sleep, eat.

Life is a grand adventure, and only as good as you make it.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 10-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what's inside until you open it.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:48 PM   #16
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Does that mean I should open people up? [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #17
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Life is the most advanced of chemical systems on a macroscopic scale to date.

What began with perfect order, through entropy, dissolved into disorder. That disorder, however, was not perfect disorder; it created order to go along with it. This "order" gradually goes to a higher state while at the same time increasing the amount of disorder in the universe. Intelligent life is merely one stage of this progression.

Alternatively, our consciousnesses are such that it could be no other way. Instead of saying that we are a chance occurance, of chemicals interacting, we can say that the universe exists as it does BECAUSE we ARE. Philosophically, the "way we are" predetermines the nature of existence. If the electroweak force was SLIGHTLY different, then we would not exist, and we could not have these thoughts. Since we DO exist and have these thoughts, then the electroweak force MUST be within certain parameters.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:44 AM   #18
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
I think, therefore I am.
I never quite understood what people meant when they said that... what does it mean? [/QUOTE]The quote comes from Rene Descartes, who was a French philosopher and mathmatician in the 1600s. What it means is nothing can be proved other than your own existence. You must exist since your thoughts must be coming from somewhere. Since whatever it is having the thoughts self identifies with you, it is reasonable to self identify with it. It was first written in latin, 'Cogito ergo sum'. I think its 'Je pense que donc je suis' in french but I could be completely wrong.
Sorry if that was a bit verbose. [img]smile.gif[/img]

A better translation might be 'thought proves existence'.

[ 10-11-2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Dirty Meg ]
Old 10-11-2004, 12:56 AM   #19
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Many people believe the human race evolved from the smallest amount of bacteria (hehe the human race used to be a germ [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), many people believe god created us.
It's a very confusing thing; now us being the most intelligent creature on Earth, we seem to be so stupid as to destroy trees and wildlife.
Just because we created computers and discovered medicine, does not necessarily mean we are the most intelligent creatures on the planet... I believe that if you are intelligent then you show that you learn things quickly or figure things out for yourself... like monkeys, orangutangs and gorillas... now they are smart creatures. Once you show them how to do something they automatically pick it up, and they can figure out the most complicated puzzles, it's just amazing.

I don't think my post gave you any help on your assignment burnzey boi, but hopefully it might give you an idea for something.
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 10-11-2004, 06:55 AM   #20
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

ahhh now those are your meanings of life but here question number two (exacly the same as number 1, go wild) what is death to you? is is something the same as life? different? or other thoughts?

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM