Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Had a humongo thunderstorm a few hours ago, so I unplugged quickly cause of the lightning. Thought it would be only for a few minutes, but the damn storm went on forever it seemed, we even had hail! So the storm finally subsides and I decide to plug my PC back in. While plugging it in, I noticed sparks around the prongs, but didn't think much about it cause that sometimes happens when plugging things in right? So I walk to my chair and hear this POP. I go back to my CPU and smell this sweet smelling smoke. So of course I unplug again quickly. Basically, I think my power supply just went belly up. Do these things just go out with a bang or what?

Blah, too late to buy another power supply as all the software stores are closed nearby, have to wait until tomorrow. I'm on the laptop now, which sucks, keys are too close together, long fingernails, not a good combo LOL, half of what I type I end up erasing cause I've hit the wrong keys. Blah, hold me! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-01-2002, 10:05 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Awwww, Wendy, that sucks big time! Sorry to hear that.

I hope it is just the power supply, and it didn't also fry your motherboard, or else you'll be up for a new computer. Ack!

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-01-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
Ladyzekke

I hope that isn't the case too Saz! When I opened up the case, that sweet burning smell does seem to be inside that power supply box, so I am just hoping, never had this ever happen before. I've had things go screwy before, but nothing physical like a loud pop and smoke, although I have read many occurrences from others over the years, guess it's my turn [img]tongue.gif[/img] I've talked to a techie of sorts tonight, and he says older computers have older power supplies that have a bad tendency to fire out like that. He says the newer ones don't do that, so if that is the case I'd suggest anyone who has an older PC to replace theirs before this type of thing happens to them, trust me, it sucks!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-01-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Most power supplies have a fusible link in them that acts like a one time circuit breaker. You do have all your equipment plugged into a GOOD surge protector, RIGHT? Not a $5 Wal Mart special mind you, but a good surge protector with a connected equipment warranty.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

Dunno Animal, its a big strip with 10 plugs, has fax and phone connections too. Probably cost $40 bucks or so? Not your best, but not a cheapo either, dunno bout a warranty as I just buy things, all those warranty papers and instructional booklets get lost and ignored LOL

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-01-2002, 10:45 PM   #6
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

large thunderstorms and tornados warnings went by my area.... had to unplug everything too... only thing the lighting killed is my power surge strip before I unpluged that thing
Old 08-01-2002, 10:49 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Dunno Animal, its a big strip with 10 plugs, has fax and phone connections too. Probably cost $40 bucks or so? Not your best, but not a cheapo either, dunno bout a warranty as I just buy things, all those warranty papers and instructional booklets get lost and ignored LOL
It was probably just a coincidence that your power supply went at that particular time. Your surge protector (the big thingy that all the little gadgets plug into) would've tripped in the event of a power spike or brown out.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:53 PM   #8
Ladyzekke

Well I only unplugged my main PC power cord from the surge protector it was plugged into. I have lamps, my printer, TV and VCR also plugged into this surge protector, and nothing else even flickered. So it couldn't be the surge protector... It I don't think had anything to do with the storm either, as I swear it was mostly over when I plugged back in (nobody seems to believe me here LOL), but it is a coincidence, something went screwy when I plugged back in, dunno what.!

Perhaps Adam Warlock, Sagg's are having a bad PC week LOL? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-02-2002, 04:53 AM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

LadyZ
I just want to tell you that if it IS the motherboard that is fried, you don't have to look at a new PC. Just a couple of weeks ago my PC went belly up because the MB failed. I managed to get it replaced & fortunately everything else was ok, so I didn't need to replace anything else.
I had the same symptoms - after using the PC for a few minutes I smelt this acrid odour> I didn't realise what it was until the PC just went kaput.
So keep your fingers crossed!
Old 08-02-2002, 05:09 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Had a humongo thunderstorm a few hours ago, so I unplugged quickly cause of the lightning. Thought it would be only for a few minutes, but the damn storm went on forever it seemed, we even had hail! So the storm finally subsides and I decide to plug my PC back in. While plugging it in, I noticed sparks around the prongs, but didn't think much about it cause that sometimes happens when plugging things in right? So I walk to my chair and hear this POP. I go back to my CPU and smell this sweet smelling smoke. So of course I unplug again quickly. Basically, I think my power supply just went belly up. Do these things just go out with a bang or what?

Blah, too late to buy another power supply as all the software stores are closed nearby, have to wait until tomorrow. I'm on the laptop now, which sucks, keys are too close together, long fingernails, not a good combo LOL, half of what I type I end up erasing cause I've hit the wrong keys. Blah, hold me! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
If you know how to open up a power supply (It's not safe to unless you know what you are doing) and inside is a fuse. 80% of the time with Power supplies, it's the fuse that gets blown.

Personally, it's too much trouble to go digging into the thing and going out to buy a new fuse which sometimes is a 'special' type, so I just buy a new one.

Best buy has them for like $40-50.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album