Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-28-2001, 05:51 PM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Just wondering how many of you would describe yourself as Neo Pagan.

I personally think the growth and spread of spiritual appreciation of the environment is exactly what the planet earth needs at this time -- the understanding on a spiritual level of the importance of natural ecology and environment.

I think that only such a deep change in prevalent world views will provide the will to make the changes we need to do regarding our approach to the environment.

Anyway, Samhain will be coming up in a month. Cool fall days and the turning of leaves have me thinking along such lines

Note, I do not mean to imply that only neo pagan religion can give rise to the spiritual understanding of the importance of ecology. Rather, it is a spiritual understanding that is fortunately manifesting itself in many places, including the the views of environmentally conscious christians and atheists.

The so-called "neo pagan" religions do represent, however, the most visible manifestation of the new envirnmental spiritualism, being of course new religions formed with spiritual awareness and relationship with the environment as a key principle.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 05:55 PM   #2
Ed
Manshoon

Just for all the uneducated retards out there *no-one imparticular ... honest!*
Exactly what is neo paganism?

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB
Old 09-28-2001, 06:02 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed:

Believing in a sort of animistic spirituality outwith the bounds of "established" religions. Neo pagans think they have discovered this brand new method of interacting with the essence of creation/existance. The phrase "reinventing the wheel" comes to mind......

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 06:02 PM   #4
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed:

Hmmm . . . well, it sort of defies "exact" definition, but is a loose term referring to a 20th century revival or recreation of old pagan world views, with an emphasis on seeing the divine power inherent in the natural world and stressing mankind's relationship with said natural divine power.

The term includes wicca and a host of other revivals of old paganisms, from various ancient cultures all over the world.

Old 09-28-2001, 06:08 PM   #5
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Personally Im a devout atheist and im willing to let all people have their own views(let the fools delude themselves *evil chuckle*) so long as they dont try to enforce them on me at which point I object.

------------------
Old 09-28-2001, 06:11 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

I personally think the growth and spread of neo paganism is exactly what the planet earth needs at this time -- the understanding on a spiritual level of the importance of natural ecology and environment.

I think that only such a deep change in prevalent world views will provide the will to make the changes we need to do regarding our approach to the environment.

Anyway, Samhain will be coming up in a month. Cool fall days and the turning of leaves have me thinking along such lines
Perhaps this answers your question Diogenes?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-28-2001, 06:12 PM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

I personally think the growth and spread of neo paganism is exactly what the planet earth needs at this time -- the understanding on a spiritual level of the importance of natural ecology and environment.

Not sure about neo pagan, never been one for labels - however, I'm with you totally of the importance of our environment. Actually, when I say environment, I'm falling into a popular error. To talk about the environment implies that it is something separate, whereas we are very much part of the environment (one element that's definately out of control!) Realising our connection to the world we live in, to all the natural elements which are essential to life and quality of life, is crucial if we are to continue to live 'the good life' which many of us in the West currently enjoy. The failure to do so will lead to a degredation in that quality, and ultimately, possibly, to the death of many forms of life on this planet, including our own.

The idea of a spiritual element to our appreciation of nature, as well as the practical scientific one, is key. If you love something and feel a sense of connection to it and respect for it, then you are more likely to treat it decently, and contribute to its survival. Without nature, we will all die.

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 09-28-2001, 06:13 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well I do believe that there needs to be fundamental changes in the way humans view the environment. At the moment most people see nature as a resource to be used if it can help them in some way, or destroyed if it is in the way. Just the other day on the news there was an issue over whether commercial fishermen and recreational fishermen should be able to both fish in the same area (or something, I can't remember the details), and one guy said "We should be able to share. There's enough of the resource to go around", which really emphasised to me the attitude of many people about the value of nature.

Whether we need to be neo pagans to make this change I don't know. I don't think I have any spiritual links to nature, but I do understand that nature has inherent value, not just that it may be useful to me. Maybe that's all everyone needs, just an realisation that humans are no more or less important that any other species, that all of nature is inherently valuable, and that because we have the power to make widespread changes to the environment we should make sure those changes are beneficial to every living, and non-living thing, not just what is most convenient for humans.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-28-2001, 06:15 PM   #9
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Personally Im a devout atheist and im willing to let all people have their own views(let the fools delude themselves *evil chuckle*) so long as they dont try to enforce them on me at which point I object.

Nature worshipers usually tend to leave other people alone. We don't go around knocking on doors trying to convert people - far more likely to be making love in the long grass. I know what I like

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 09-28-2001, 06:16 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Not sure about neo pagan, never been one for labels - however, I'm with you totally of the importance of our environment. Actually, when I say environment, I'm falling into a popular error. To talk about the environment implies that it is something separate, whereas we are very much part of the environment (one element that's definately out of control!) Realising our connection to the world we live in, to all the natural elements which are essential to life and quality of life, is crucial if we are to continue to live 'the good life' which many of us in the West currently enjoy. The failure to do so will lead to a degredation in that quality, and ultimately, possibly, to the death of many forms of life on this planet, including our own.

Yes, absolutely, Silver. We do seem to have reached the point where we believe we are separate to nature, and are almost fighting the fact that we are dependent on it for our own survival.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink

[This message has been edited by Aelia Jusa (edited 09-28-2001).]