Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2001, 04:10 PM   #21
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, the point being about a house. Not everyone lives in a castle or stronghold. Many adventures go home at the end of the day, to a one- or two-story house. I haven't played Ultima, but I've seen what it's like, and yes I do agree that a mix with the two games would be awesome. In Ultima you can be anything, the whole world is composed of PC's, and there are no NPC's (at least I don't think there are). You go to the Blacksmith to have armor made, SOMEONE is playing the Blacksmith, and so if they don't want to sell something to you, they don't have to.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:02 PM   #22
Bunny
Dungeon Master

Would love more opportunities for romance between the characters....especially for the females.

More movies within the game would be great, especially between the chapters.

Better familar characters....ones that actually do something.

Still the best game I've played.

Looking forward to ending it so I can start Throne of Bhal,
Bunny
Old 08-22-2001, 07:22 PM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

What did I find lame about the game? The fact that it ended....

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-22-2001, 08:49 PM   #24
Gil-Galad
The Magister

A thing I find really annoying is that everytime you start a new game you have to spend hours of real time to get out of Irenicus´ dungeon. The design itself is cool enough, it gives new players a chance to familiarise (...you know what I mean) with the game, but a quick way out would be a convenient alternative. Also A more realistic flow of time could be rather cool: You can take hundreds of in-game days to finish just one quest.

And wherein lies the Power Of The Dark Side? A few dialogue optionds which leads to the same result anyway, unless you turn people down, in wich case you lose potentially big parts of the game. Less XP, higher prices with no alternative shopping possibilities, and in general the same game as if played by a good-aligned PC. Hell, even the divine abilities are cooler for goodies...

Anyway, still the coolest thing that ever happened to my computer, especially because my ideal character is a Paladin (yes!).
Old 08-24-2001, 03:13 AM   #25
Starkiller
The Magister

Well, Neb mentioned that it is stupid to start at level 7-8, but this was unavoidable since one of the KEY features of the game was to be able to import your BG1 character which ended at around that level. I know I found that cool. One more cool thing, if a little fanciful, would have been if there was destinction at certain points in the game based on how powerful you are. I played one game like this, and it would be cool if you reimported a character, and the game could tell and let you fight Irenicus when you get out of his dungeon, and maybe let you fight him in spellhold alone if you want if you are over a certain level. But the one really huge thing for me which I forgot to put in my last post is...why, oh WHY, cant I have A DIMENSION DOOR SPELL!! EVERY OTHER CRAPPY MAGE IN THE GAME WHO I SLAUGHTER HAS ONE. Fine, limit it, make it only useable at certain times, or to send you to your stronghold or something, but come on, no self-respecting mage can truly raise their head high and call themselves powerful, or even adequate, when your APPRENTICE can teleport about as he wishes, and you cant even manage FIVE INCHES!! Sigh...what a ripoff

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 08-24-2001, 03:39 AM   #26
Lord Shield

I thought the sudden plague of liches and dragons was silly - could they not find other enemies to create a challenge? Where were all the other giant types perhaps?

Also the uninterruptible hour-long spiels by villains/NPCs where you have to listen to their gloating/insults and you can't say anything back at them was shit

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 08-24-2001, 06:54 PM   #27
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
I thought the sudden plague of liches and dragons was silly - could they not find other enemies to create a challenge? Where were all the other giant types perhaps?

I didn't mind the dragons but the liches hidden in bars Give me a break!

And whats up with the little Lich disco shuffle when they cast a spell

Old 08-25-2001, 03:35 AM   #28
Starkiller
The Magister

hehe, good point, what WAS that swagger?
Old 08-25-2001, 03:52 AM   #29
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

1.I absolutely HATE that 'you must gather your party before venturing forth' sample.

2.Its lame how locations are recycled through the game (the bar that the lich is in is recycled numerous times, most of the time with the secret door, even..)

3.The multi-part weapons are all basically not worth the time and energy to collect, save for the Crom F, Mace of Disruption, and the Flail of Ages.

4.Taking the evil path isn't well fleshed out. Only the quests for Bodhi are legitimate evil quests.

5.Major graphic slowdown in large battles, even on an 850 mhz, 256 mb ram, geforce 2 computer.

6.5 summoned creature limit

7.inability to use summoned creatures as scouts (part the fog of war), or as trap fodder (only sometimes works)

8.no simple way to tell exactly what enchanments/protections are cast on any one enemy at one time. This makes mage battles overly complex.

9.the very annoying globe animation that accompanies the cloak of mirroring makes it hard to see your characters in battle.

Its still a great game, but far from perfect.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:08 PM   #30
HooC
The Magister

It is rather lame that the game is suited to good parties much better than evil parties..

It just is really hard to find decent evil NPC's.