Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-25-2002, 03:01 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I have just recentley finished reading "The Hobbit" and thought it was **amazing**. The way Tolkien describes the surroundings of the Hobbit's adventure in such detail is also **amazing**. The book was lying around in one of mybookcases for ages and it's a pretty old printing of the boook (Has Smaug on a pile of gold and riches with Bilbo in the bottom right-hand corner bowing to the great dragon) so I decided to read it. I'm now reading "The Fellowship of the Ring", saw the movie and thought it was very good.
Any thoughts from anyone else who has read "The Hobbit"?

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: GokuZool ]

Old 01-25-2002, 06:35 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Thats why he is considered a master of fantasy. The hobbit was an awesome book that I was very impressed with. So impressed I read the entire trilogy of the fellowship of the ring. If you liked that you should read the others as well because youll like those alot too.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
fable
Quintesson

It's cute, but I much prefered LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea as a child's fantasy novel.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

It's one of the best works of fiction ever written IMHO! Especially when you take "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring" together! I also enjoyed "The Silmarilion" and Unfinished Tales". They are a compilation of stories concerning the first and second age. Very good background to LOTR.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:28 PM   #5
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I would also suggest reading the Silmarilion. It deals with the creation of the world, the 1st age, the 2nd age and the beginning of the 3rd age. Also, a lot of the relationships of the main characters involved in LoTR becomes much clearer then. And there is also another book dealing with middle earth, but this is edited by JRR Tolkins son and contains only text fragments. Unfortunatly, I don't know the exact english title. A tranlation of the german title wood be something like "news from middle earth"
Old 01-25-2002, 08:00 PM   #6
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

The Hobbit Is an Excellent story and expertly told.

And I definatly recommend that you read lord of the rings especially if you have watched the film as the amount of story that has been missed out in the film is horrific (Tom Bombadil, any one?).
Old 01-26-2002, 01:35 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
(Tom Bombadil, any one?).

Ho Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!!
By water, read and log; by the wind and willow,
By fire sun and moon; harken now and hear us,
Ho Tom Bomadil! For our need is near us.

Old Tom Bombadil is a Merry Fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow,
None have caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master,
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:51 AM   #8
Blade
Emerald Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The Hobbit Is an Excellent story and expertly told.

And I definatly recommend that you read lord of the rings especially if you have watched the film as the amount of story that has been missed out in the film is horrific (Tom Bombadil, any one?).

That was my only gripe with the move it LEFT OUT TOM BOMBADIL [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] one of my favorite charecter!! Other than that the movie was great IMHO. And yes if you liked The Hobit you will love The Lord of The Rings.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:59 AM   #9
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Blade:

That was my only gripe with the move it LEFT OUT TOM BOMBADIL [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] one of my favorite charecter!!

Any guesses as to why that was done? Do you think the speaking-in-meter thing may have just been too outside the American (and even modern British) experience?
Old 01-26-2002, 08:24 AM   #10
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Yes, Tolkien is the king of fantasy books.
And if ya enjoyed "The Hobbit" that much, just wait tll you come a bit into "Lord of the Rings"!
And "Silmarillion" is also in a class for itself.
Btw, I get a feeling that this should be posted in the books forum...

see ya!